What book are you reading right now?
Jan 6, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #4,231 of 5,348
"Just a general query. I used to read a lot, but unfortunately that habit seems to have dwindled in the past year or so. Any tips or suggestions on how to pick up the habit again? I have so many books on the 'to do' list but I rarely get around to reading!"

Don't know if this applies ...I found myself reading less and less for pleasure, due to copious over-reading at work for analysing reports and stuff.  

I started listening to the New Yorker Podcasts again (free on iTunes).  The focus on the 'short story' form - typically mastered by Flannery O'Connor (USA); Somerset Maugham (Great Britain) is kind of the patience I have in this ADHD world where sound bites and crying with t.v. adverts passes for the same mindless norm.   The New Yorker Podcasts by Trace Reeseman are very engaging - listening in the shower or for a few minutes, to hear an excerpt read by another author, with a personal interest in the piece they are presenting.  It's helped me discover a lot of fascinating writers - like Niccolo Tucci. Many I've already come across (Colm Toibin, James Salter) although it's very interesting since it presents mostly US literature, rather than British literature. 

Currently reading L'Insoutenable Legerete de l'etre' - the original publication from the Czech writer, Milan Kundera before it was translated into English.   Yes there, s a massive difference.  Some things are lost with translation. 

Jan 7, 2016 at 12:59 AM Post #4,233 of 5,348
41f-xfeNMcL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Just started after listening to his talks@google

Jan 8, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #4,234 of 5,348
Treasure Island

Yes, kind of juvenile but I've gotten into the show Black Sails on Starz and it's the prequel to Treasure Island. I had never read it so I figured I'd read it while waiting on season 3 to start.

Jan 9, 2016 at 4:58 AM Post #4,235 of 5,348
Treasure Island

Yes, kind of juvenile but I've gotten into the show Black Sails on Starz and it's the prequel to Treasure Island. I had never read it so I figured I'd read it while waiting on season 3 to start.

RLS is a great storyteller, and Blind Pew is a genuinely unnerving literary monster. If you have an eReader, there are some decent comprehensive collections of his adventure tales available for very little.

Going back to an author mentioned a few posts ago, Mervyn Peake illustrated an edition of 'Treasure Island'.

Jan 9, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #4,236 of 5,348
After Lemmy died, I dug out his (ghost-written) autobiography, aptly titled 'White Line Fever'.

Massively entertaining read, even if you're not a fan of Motörhead.

Think I'll read a couple more artist bios afterwards - Hardcore Troubadour on Steve Earle springs to mind as being much in the same vein as Lemmy's.

Feb 3, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #4,237 of 5,348
Just Finished:

The Bible (latest books completed before 200 CE, canonized in 397 CE), King James Version Translation (1611), New Cambridge Paragraph Bible (2005)
Yep, have literally been mired in this since late November. Needless to say I'm glad I'm done with it. I don't know that it was a wholly worthwhile endeavor on my part to read it cover to cover, though certainly it was interesting to see not only how much I had mis-remembered or forgotten, but how much I thought was in the Bible that actually isn't. At any rate, I was initially going to dive right into the Gnostic gospels after this, but I need a break from biblical literature. So instead, I'm thinking I'll pick up The Aeneid next. Read Augustine's City of God a little while ago, and I swear that he almost quoted from Virgil more than he did from the Bible. Got me looking forward to a re-read. Believe I'll be reading the Robert Fagles translation. 

Feb 3, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #4,239 of 5,348
The Dirt: Confessions of the World's Most Notorious Rock Band
The Motley Crue story.

Feb 4, 2016 at 3:05 AM Post #4,241 of 5,348
Just finished reading the Belgariad series by David Eddings while also reading The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss. I plan on moving onto the Mallorean (again by David Eddings)

I'm a huge lover of fantasy novels, so far I've gone through Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series, Terry Goodkinds "Sword of Truth" series, and George R.R. Martin's "Game of Thrones" series plus a few other smaller series'. But so far Kingkiller Chronicles "The Name of the Wind" and "The Wise Man's Fear" are my favorite books and I am anxiously awaiting the next book in the series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back