What book are you reading right now?
Nov 16, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #4,159 of 5,345
  -I absolutely, positively love Feynman's books - now, if there's one character in academia I really, really wish I could've met, it would be Feynman. (Matter of fact, I re-read 'Surely you're joking, Mr. Feynman' for the umpteenth time only a few weeks ago.)

I thought he would be your sort of writer.

There's plenty of good Feynman documentaries and interviews/monologues on YouTube too.

Nov 16, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #4,160 of 5,345
  I'm only on page 55...but I found out about it on "CBS This Morning" and the book makes a lot of practical sense...written with a good deal of profane humor!

Grabbed a copy today. As soon as I finish this it will be up.

As I longtime motorsport enthusiast, this is the ONLY book I have ever read in the arena that I would recommend to just about anyone. It covers details of the sport, yes, but it really is more of  an achievement with principles under very extreme circumstances book. The book is as well paced and structured as the man himself.

Nov 17, 2015 at 2:42 AM Post #4,161 of 5,345
As I tend to read more than one book at a time, here's the one competing with Einstein for my attention at the time being (Image shamelessly lifted off the web)

Lehrbuch der Navigation für der Kriegs- u. Handelsmarine, 1943.

I really need to brush off my astro nav skills (It has been a few years since they were last utilized!) - and this work (2 volumes) is a very good guide.

I'll need to find myself another novel to read, too. Perhaps Josephine Tey's The Singing Sands, it has been in my to be read pile for a few months now.

Nov 17, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #4,163 of 5,345
I have a sliver left of The Street of Crocodiles and Other Stories by Bruno Schulz, but lately there has been more music listening than reading going on. I've not read anyone who can describe a face like Schulz describes a face. 

Nov 24, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #4,164 of 5,345
Just Finished:

City of God (426), by Saint Augustine, translated by Marcus Dods
Many of Augustine's ideas haven't aged so well, but reading this work in its entirety is nonetheless an immensely satisfactory experience--not only for the fascinating glimpses into early Church thought, but equally so for the prose, which in this translation is fantastic. Worth a read if you've an interest in early Christian history or just philosophy/theology in general, so long as you don't mind a long read. (Over 1,000 pages in the edition I read.)

Currently Reading:

The Bible (latest books completed before 200 CE, canonized in 397 CE), King James Version Translation (1611), New Cambridge Paragraph Bible (2005)
Been a looooooooooooong time since I've read it cover-to-cover, and now seems as good a time as any. Going to be reading it in the King James Translation, which remains by far my favorite, specifically the New Cambridge Paragraph edition of it, which I've not read before, but which seems highly regarded, and is certainly presented quite beautifully. (Single text column, yum!)

Nov 24, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #4,165 of 5,345

Not a bad first go round for an Amazon self published effort. Lacks originality in some plotting and hurries to a not terribly satisfactory end. There is enough in here though to keep a sci fi or thriller addict sated for a bit.

Nov 25, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #4,166 of 5,345

At 89 pages (Ebook) this is a remarkably concise distillation of the battle. If you wish to only ever read one volume on the subject this would be the one. If you have read through the myriad other volumes on the battle this is a great companion piece hitting on almost all the key points.

Nov 26, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #4,167 of 5,345
I have been reading a lot of Marx lately. Just started on David Harvey's The Condition of Postmodernity, and its really good. Strangely enough, I've become pretty anti-capitalist/ pro- marxist over the past few months :D

Nov 26, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #4,168 of 5,345
In Russia only clowns and dangerous pro-Soviet revisionists support Karl Marx. Usually Marxism there goes hand in hand with aggressive anti-Americanism and anti-West position in general. Surprisingly in the West Marx's dangerous and poisonous ideas ( particularly idiotic theory of class struggle which was the kernel of the whole teaching) are more vital and still influential for example in such spheres as feminism and social equality.

Nov 26, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #4,169 of 5,345
Just finished the manga book: The Vagabond - Vol 3.

Amazing book about post-Sekhigahara Samurai world with Miyamoto Mushashi as its chief protagonist.

Hard to put down.

Next up Vol 4. Mushashi taking on the Yagyu clan:

Nov 29, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #4,170 of 5,345
  Just finished the manga book: The Vagabond - Vol 3.

Amazing book about post-Sekhigahara Samurai world with Miyamoto Mushashi as its chief protagonist.

Hard to put down.

Yeah man, I've been salty for the past four months because no one has put up translations for the new chapters!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back