What book are you reading right now?
Oct 25, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #4,141 of 5,348
Just Finished:

The Quran (632), translated by Marmaduke Pickthall
A fine (not that I'm in any position to directly compare it to the original) translation of a rather bizarre sort of religious text. Those of you who are unfamiliar with the Quran's internal structure should pick it up and flip through it sometime, it's pretty interesting. Not sure that I necessarily gleaned anything new from this re-read, other than I had completely forgotten how much the book assumes you have relatively complete historical knowledge of the first ten years or so years of the existence of Islam. I think most Westerners, Christian or not, have read through a good chunk of the Bible--if they haven't done the same with this text, it'd probably do them some good. 

Saga (2012-), by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples
Read through volume 3 of the 5 that are currently out. I'll probably wait to read further until the next collected edition is published. The more you read the more its flaws are apparent and its initial joys begin to wear a little thin, but it's still great, fluffy comic book stuff--give me this over the convoluted and self-serious (or, almost worse, the re-engineered to be hip and young) mainstays that dominate the comic shelves at most bookstores any day. The biggest issue I have with it is that the best characters have a nasty habit of dying shortly after they are introduced. The primary protagonists (and antagonists) are all likable enough, but that's sort of Vaughan's thing. He writes *extremely* likable characters. They're just not that interesting, particularly since whatever quirks they have are in complete service to the overarching plot, or just feel a bit like storytelling cheats. Still, there's a lot of promise here, and the unleashed imagination of Vaughan and Staples is quite the thing to behold. Wherever this ride goes in the future, I'm on board.

Currently Reading:

The Incal (1981-1988), by Alejandro Jodorowsky and Moebius
Probably not actually going to do a full re-read of this comic series--I just wanted to give it a re-skim (if you will), after hearing a comics critic refer to Alan Moore, Grant Morrison, and Alejandro Jodorowsky as being the Holy Trinity of comic book writers (she stuck Jodorowsky in the 'Holy Ghost' position). Which I think is one of those statements that doesn't actually mean anything terribly useful, but at least it sounds cool. Of the three, I've always preferred Moore the most (by far), though the other two don't exactly suffer from a lack of merits or anything. Jodorowsky in particular is especially vibrant and out-there, combining the quickest-paced plots in the business with symbol-laden mysticism. The key to Jodorowsky's off-kilter writing is that his various esoteric and occult leanings actually (in comparison to some other authors who shall remain nameless) contribute something meaningful (basic, but meaningful) to his scripts--and the more you read them, the more they reveal themselves. Someday I want to give a serious re-read/first-time read to not just the entire Incal cycle of comics, but the entire 'Jodoverse' cycle of comics, period. I imagine it ought to make for a pretty good time. And I've never dived into the man's non-Jodoverse comic work, though I've certainly been tempted. (Particularly when he paired up with Manara for Borgia. Yum!) Needless to say, I anticipate a lot of Jodorowsky cropping up in my future.

The Greek Myths (1955), by Robert Graves
Just reading the myths themselves, and skipping Graves's interpretations. Not because they're not valuable (they are), but Graves is just a bit too far out there for my liking--his imagination was certainly not lacking, but it often got in the way of his being able to approach anything from a more composed and scholarly position. There is quite a bit of invention in his take on the myths, and separating it from the real deal can be challenging enough without reading his beguiling and charismatic interpretations alongside his re-tellings. Never mind the fact that they seriously hinder the flow of the storytelling. 

Not sure what I'm reading next or if I should be trying to read anything else concurrently! I've dropped off Faerie Queene for the moment--decided I was doing it a disservice by only reading it in small chunks here and there--think it (and myself) will be better served by reading it cover to cover without being sidetracked by other literature. I will say that I'm itching to do a full re-read of the King James Bible, followed up by dipping into the Nag Hammadi texts. I see this happening in my nearish future (starting within the next couple of months).

Oct 28, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #4,143 of 5,348
Just finished Elizabeth Kostova's "The Historian". At times an entertaining read on vampires, it does suffer from a couple of drawbacks, chief amongst them that it is way, way too long and at times Kostova appears a tad too eager to show off her research; trivia only tangentially relevant to the plot is repeated over and over again, every time in a context indicating that she's done some research.

Also, I found the climax to be more of an anti-climax, really, and the end left quite a bit to be desired. I was, however, for the most part kept entertained as I read my way towards the end, so the book served its purpose well - but I am unlikely to read it again.

Next book in line is Arthur Conan Doyle's "The Hound of the Baskervilles" - I've read it probably around half a dozen times over the years, and now seemed like an excellent time to do so again. Picked it up in the Penguin Clothbound Classics series - a nice, small-ish volume, good introduction, sensible price. Me like, though I think I would have liked it even better if they hadn't insisted on printing decor on the cloth binding; it appears to rub off quite easily.

Nov 3, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #4,147 of 5,348
Just Finished:

The Greek Myths (1955), by Robert Graves
Good stuff, if a bit overwhelming, particularly if you're bad with keeping names straight, as I am. 

Currently Reading:

City of God (426), by Saint Augustine, translated by Marcus Dods
I personally find many of Augustine's conclusions repellent, his tone arrogant, and his logic frequently stretched. Needless to say, I don't accept many of his premises. But it is nonetheless a fantastically well-written book and an entertaining one to read if you have a taste for exquisite prose (how much of this is Augustine and how much is Dods is difficult to say for someone, like myself, who cannot read Latin), never mind the tremendous insight it offers into early thought in the Catholic Church. Despite its length and density, I imagine I'll 'breeze' through this. 

Nov 11, 2015 at 3:48 AM Post #4,149 of 5,348
I am hopeless - I always read multiple books in parallel.

This week, I divide my attentions between Paul Brickhill's excellent 'The Dam Busters' (On the famous WWII RAF raids on German dams) and Norwegian author Tore Renberg's 'Angrep fra alle kanter' (Attacked from all directions) - a novel on a group of more or less maladjusted delinquents living in 1970's Stavanger - our petrocapital - suburbs just as the oil boom in the North Sea is getting properly started. A very entertaining read, Renberg captures the zeitgeist of the period better than most.

Nov 16, 2015 at 2:54 AM Post #4,150 of 5,348
Finished off The Dam Busters (Paul Brickhill) yesterday, now getting started on a re-read of Einstein's 'Relativity' - he does a marvellous job at making his theories as simple and accessible as possible, without over-simplifying them.

Come to think of it, it is about time I re-read some Hawking - he, too, is very good at making complex ideas understandable.

Nov 16, 2015 at 5:28 AM Post #4,151 of 5,348
I bought 'The Dambusters' recently to read again, as I hadn't owned a copy in years. Paul Brickhill's very readable - his biography of Douglas Bader (Reach for the Sky) is well worth a read. 

Nov 16, 2015 at 6:13 AM Post #4,152 of 5,348
  Finished off The Dam Busters (Paul Brickhill) yesterday, now getting started on a re-read of Einstein's 'Relativity' - he does a marvellous job at making his theories as simple and accessible as possible, without over-simplifying them.

Come to think of it, it is about time I re-read some Hawking - he, too, is very good at making complex ideas understandable.

On this subject, I really enjoyed Brian Greene's 'The Elegant Universe' &' 'Hidden Reality' and Nicolas Mee's  'Higgs Force'..

Fascinating stuff!

Nov 16, 2015 at 6:23 AM Post #4,153 of 5,348

Have you read any of Richard Feynman's books? Not only was he good at communicating ideas about physics, but he's also an entertaining read. Oh, and there's also stuff about safecracking, chatting up strippers and playing the bongos.

Nov 16, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #4,154 of 5,348
On this subject, I really enjoyed Brian Greene's 'The Elegant Universe' &' 'Hidden Reality' and Nicolas Mee's  'Higgs Force'..

-I've read 'Hidden Reality' and liked it enough to put 'The Elegant Universe' on my reading list - 'Higgs Force' is new to me, but I'll look into it. Thanks!

Have you read any of Richard Feynman's books? Not only was he good at communicating ideas about physics, but he's also an entertaining read. Oh, and there's also stuff about safecracking, chatting up strippers and playing the bongos.

-I absolutely, positively love Feynman's books - now, if there's one character in academia I really, really wish I could've met, it would be Feynman. (Matter of fact, I re-read 'Surely you're joking, Mr. Feynman' for the umpteenth time only a few weeks ago.)

Nov 16, 2015 at 6:43 AM Post #4,155 of 5,348

Just a few pages from the end of this magnificent book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back