What book are you reading right now?
Jun 4, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #3,992 of 5,345
Finished Dark Places by Gillian Flynn last night. Pretty decent book. Felt kinda dirty and wanted a book to uplift me from the cruel book, but, I picked up Lolita. A dark week for reading.

Is it as good as "Gone Girl", or is it better than "Gone Girl"?

Jun 5, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #3,993 of 5,345

I've only watched Gone Girl, but Flynn was involved in the screenplay so it should play similar to the book. I think you'll be right at home in terms of Dark Places, she has a style that travels between books- like she is writing all of them at the same time. Very similar unraveling of plot and lapses of continuity as well as character forgetfulness for the plot.

You'll find characters who are similar to the ones in Gone Girl here and you won't like them. Personally I hated Gone Girl and this book I loved to a point. Don't expect it to better than GG, as people have walked away disappointed with that mind set.

Jun 5, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #3,994 of 5,345
My question was poorly phrased, but you did a great job answering it anyway.

Thanks for the opinion, I think I'll give "Dark Places" a read.

Jun 5, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #3,995 of 5,345
My question was poorly phrased, but you did a great job answering it anyway.

Thanks for the opinion, I think I'll give "Dark Places" a read.

Your question was fine, it is good that you got a spoiler free review, be aware of Amazon they never use spoiler tags. Oh yeah, this book is quite dark and vicious, try to read chapter before purchasing.

Enjoy the book.

Jun 6, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #3,996 of 5,345

I've only watched Gone Girl, but Flynn was involved in the screenplay so it should play similar to the book. I think you'll be right at home in terms of Dark Places, she has a style that travels between books- like she is writing all of them at the same time. Very similar unraveling of plot and lapses of continuity as well as character forgetfulness for the plot.

You'll find characters who are similar to the ones in Gone Girl here and you won't like them. Personally I hated Gone Girl and this book I loved to a point. Don't expect it to better than GG, as people have walked away disappointed with that mind set.

This is a fair evaluation and I agree with it. I have read all three of her books. I enjoyed them all, but "Gone Girl" was my favorite.

Jun 10, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #3,998 of 5,345
The book I'm reading right now is "You Can Negotiate Anything" by Herb Cohen. It has some good advice about how to buy things (for example, how to get a lower price on a TV or fridge when you buy it from a store- you don't necessarily have to pay the sticker price), and how to negotiate deals with people (making sure that each party in the negotiation gets what they want, which is often the way for you to get what you want).

Jun 22, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #3,999 of 5,345

This upon first look, could be construed as a "me too" Valkyrie book. It is really mistitled and The end of the Luftwaffe would have perhaps been a better choice. The author himself states right up front that a rebellion in the ranks was too late and ill planned to have any effect and THEY KNEW THIS AT THE TIME. So then we are put into a scenario where politics is viewed as more important than combat skills. Leadership is polarized into believers and non believers and the pilots no matter what their views are pushed well beyond endurance trying to halt the destruction of Germany one city at a time.

Steinhoff was a cultured and intelligent man and serves up some quite frank portraits and opinions of the key figures in the misuse and eventual destruction of German Air Power in the second world war. While he does this he integrates his experiences in daily operations quite well. He writes with an air that I have not encountered yet in a German memoir. He avoids self pity, largely does not play the "we were just following orders" scheme and writes as if he were there as an observer rather than a key player.

Out of the dozens of German accounts of the War I have read, I think this one would be the ONE I would recommend.

Jun 23, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #4,000 of 5,345
Of Human Bondage by W. Somerset Maugham. It´s a very interesting novel, I delightful find the atmospheres it describes.

Jul 17, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #4,003 of 5,345

I'm going to have to put this on the "Must Read" list. A fairly concise expose of the big hitting tech companies in China and how they got there. Explains how they are changing long adhered to policies to allow them to move further into the world market.
A very pro China book, it skips lightly over knock offs and copying by acknowledging the practices and moving on.
Fearsome in a very unintentional way, it also by default shows what consumerism can do to a population.
If you are at all curious how a company can go from non existance to a billion in sales in a matter of months, read this.
Hell, if you are a sentient being on earth, Read This, your future just may depend on it.

Jul 18, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #4,004 of 5,345

Just finished John Ringo, Into the Looking Glass - a very fun read - with an excellent combination of cutting edge particle physics, space monsters, modern mil-tech and sardonic comedy. The basic moral of the story: Man is a curious monkey and that is both our greatest fault and our greatest strength!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back