What book are you reading right now?
May 5, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #3,981 of 5,348

I only just started it, but it seems very readable and the prologue alone made an interesting case that repercussions of the Boxer Rebellion, and the issues that caused it, are still being felt in international relations to this day.

Please post an overall opinion when you've finished it - I might be interested in getting my own copy.

May 5, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #3,982 of 5,348

I only just started it, but it seems very readable and the prologue alone made an interesting case that repercussions of the Boxer Rebellion, and the issues that caused it, are still being felt in international relations to this day.

Please post an overall opinion when you've finished it - I might be interested in getting my own copy.

Will do...

May 10, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #3,983 of 5,348
Trepidation! After a lot of humming and hemming and hawing, I have decided to try Maeve Gilmore's conclusion to her husband's 'Gormenghast' trilogy. Well, it was interesting, and worth a re-read sometime soon. She's a good writer, albeit no Mervyn Peake, but she catches some of the feel of the original books to an extent. It won't ruin 'Gormenghast' for fans. I rather liked it.

Next up, George Clinton's biography 'Brothas be, yo like George, ain't that Funkin' kinda hard on you?' I'm a few chapters in, and it is interesting and very readable, despite the mess of a title.

May 21, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #3,985 of 5,348

Interesting subject - is it a good read?

PJ - Very interesting read. It was very readable and the story had its dramatic moments. It is a very detailed well researched account of, I believe, a mostly forgotten historical event. However, the story is one that should provide a lesson/warning to the governments of nations that practice an imperialistic philosophy, or an international police force foreign policy. It seemed to me, as I read this book, that I was reading the newspaper.

May 22, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #3,987 of 5,348
  PJ - Very interesting read. It was very readable and the story had its dramatic moments. It is a very detailed well researched account of, I believe, a mostly forgotten historical event. However, the story is one that should provide a lesson/warning to the governments of nations that practice an imperialistic philosophy, or an international police force foreign policy. It seemed to me, as I read this book, that I was reading the newspaper.

I had a look, and this isn't yet available on Kindle, but she has written another book about the Boxer Rising which is, so I have gone for that instead.

I am currently reading George Clinton's autobiography which, despite the rambling mess of a title, is actually well written, entertaining and very interesting.

May 31, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #3,988 of 5,348
John Mosier:
"The Myth Of The Great War"

A terrible book, if you want read a good book on the Great War read Keegan or Stevenson's books on WW I.

Avoid Mosier, he seems to be an English professor who fancies himself an amateur historian, unfortunately, who can't research, spell or form a coherent sentence or thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back