What book are you reading right now?
Apr 28, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #3,961 of 5,348

One of the benefits of being bilingual in Canada is being able to read a French classic in it's original language.  There's always something lost in a translation.  I'm grateful to have learned both languages. 

Apr 28, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #3,962 of 5,348
A great story about a familiy father and the dreams of breaking free from the daily stress of life. 

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #3,963 of 5,348
Apr 29, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #3,964 of 5,348
I'm about to start Cloud Atlas. 

Actually, here's a question to ask... I'm reading this book for school, for a report where I compare the book and the movie. It was down to this or Johnny Got His Gun. but I went with Cloud Atlas, relegating the latter to a personal project (I like books.). I know the changes the movie made, and that they will probably make for an inferior version of the story. Should I make a last minute switch, or stick with my current book? 

Apr 29, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #3,965 of 5,348

Actually, here's a question to ask... I'm reading this book for school, for a report where I compare the book and the movie. It was down to this or Johnny Got His Gun. but I went with Cloud Atlas, relegating the latter to a personal project (I like books.). I know the changes the movie made, and that they will probably make for an inferior version of the story. Should I make a last minute switch, or stick with my current book? 

Good question.

Here's my take on it. I'd go with Cloud Atlas as it is a Novel that went through a lot of adaptation in order to be filmed. It's a fascinating change.
Johnny Got His Gun (you don't mention which filmed version it is so I will assume the original). was written entirely by Dalton Trumbo who largely was a screenwriter more than a novelist. Comparing the book to the movie which he also directed is a little bit of a one sided exercise and is more about Trumbo the man then the differences and changes that need to be adapted into a film from a novel.

Just my opinion.

Apr 30, 2015 at 6:21 AM Post #3,968 of 5,348

This time I'm gonna finish it!

I read this too and it was my first Murakami book. I never really got that excited about it. I am going to start "What I talk about when I talk about running" because I am training for a trail marathon next month. But after that I think I will pick another Murakami book and it will probably be "Dance Dance Dance" and then "Norwegian Wood".

Apr 30, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #3,969 of 5,348
'Dance Dance Dance' is a sequel (albeit an unconventional one) to 'A Wild Sheep Chase', so that would be a good place to start.

As for his other books, I haven't read all of them, but found his breakthrough hit 'Norwegian Wood' not to my taste. The short stories of 'The Elephant vanishes' and the novel 'Hard-boiled Wonderland' also didn't do it for me, although they are at least interesting. This could, of course, be down to the translation.

'The Wind-up Bird Chronicles' is a good but long read, which I enjoyed. I also liked 'Kafka on the Shore' a lot.

'After Dark' has good atmosphere, but lacks plot and a real conclusion, IMO.

Apr 30, 2015 at 7:37 AM Post #3,970 of 5,348

Here's an article by the author and screenwriter William Boyd about making a film or TV series from a novel: http://www.televisual.com/blog-detail/William-Boyd-on-adapting-Restless-for-BBC-One_bid-412.html

You may find some interesting points and insights that you can work into your report. He has written other articles on the subject too, so a bit of Googling may turn up useful material.

Apr 30, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #3,971 of 5,348
  'Dance Dance Dance' is a sequel (albeit an unconventional one) to 'A Wild Sheep Chase', so that would be a good place to start.

As for his other books, I haven't read all of them, but found his breakthrough hit 'Norwegian Wood' not to my taste. The short stories of 'The Elephant vanishes' and the novel 'Hard-boiled Wonderland' also didn't do it for me, although they are at least interesting. This could, of course, be down to the translation.

'The Wind-up Bird Chronicles' is a good but long read, which I enjoyed. I also liked 'Kafka on the Shore' a lot.

'After Dark' has good atmosphere, but lacks plot and a real conclusion, IMO.

I was told that "Kafka on the shore" is a good read. So that one will probably be qued too. 

May 2, 2015 at 5:02 AM Post #3,973 of 5,348
  I don't like all of his books, but I liked that one.

So far i really enjoy his writing style. I just need to commit to this book again.
  I read this too and it was my first Murakami book. I never really got that excited about it. I am going to start "What I talk about when I talk about running" because I am training for a trail marathon next month. But after that I think I will pick another Murakami book and it will probably be "Dance Dance Dance" and then "Norwegian Wood".

I havent decided which of his other books I will read next so I'm curious how those ones go for you.

May 4, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #3,974 of 5,348
I've read these Murakami books and enjoyed them all: Norwegian Wood, Sputnik Sweetheart, South of the Border, West of the Sun, Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage.

I've started Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World twice but haven't been captivated. I might give it another try. I have 1Q84 to read as well. If you read Murakami expecting scintillating plot, linear narrative and neatly tied up story strands you'll be disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back