What book are you reading right now?
Jun 13, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #5,191 of 5,346
Hi Dick, good to hear from you. Unfortunately I’m not, no. The reason I posted his passing was to inform any of his possible readers who may not have known.
Ok, thanks anyway. I may check out #1 in the series (there are 22 in total), if so I will let you know if any good. I suspect Mr. Higgins may write with an Irish twist, based on his heritage. I like that :)

Jun 15, 2022 at 9:28 AM Post #5,192 of 5,346
Lincoln HighWay_A Novel.jpg

I was disappointed with Ken Follett's most recent novel "Never." It seemed to me that he developed his characters and their various interconnected scenarios in great depth. However, when the characters and connections were established, and as their interconnectedness was gradually revealed, and the plot began to develop, it abruptly ended. It left me feeling that it was unfinished. IMHO I think that Follett just wanted to end it and move on to his next book (and I will certainly be buying that book...) Just not up to his previous work...

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #5,193 of 5,346
Lincoln HighWay_A Novel.jpg

I was disappointed with Ken Follett's most recent novel "Never." It seemed to me that he developed his characters and their various interconnected scenarios in great depth. However, when the characters and connections were established, their interconnectedness gradually became revealed, the plot began to develop, but ended abruptly. It left me feeling that it was unfinished. IMHO I think that Follett just wanted to end it and move on to his next book (and I will certainly be buying that book...) Just not up to his previous work...
I agree. Do you know what Mr. Follett's next book will be, Doug?
The last book in the Brad Taylor series left me feeling the same way. To Brad's credit, he explained why in the afterword. The book was written during the two years of Covid lockdown, where Americans were not able to travel due to the Covid situation in the US. Therefore, he was unable to conduct research at the physical sites where the book's scenes took place, as had been his norm in writing previous books. And ... that research was an aspect that I really like about his writing. I enjoy having to Google places to find out what they're about :)

Jun 15, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #5,195 of 5,346
I agree. Do you know what Mr. Follett's next book will be, Doug?
The last book in the Brad Taylor series left me feeling the same way. To Brad's credit, he explained why in the afterword. The book was written during the two years of Covid lockdown, where Americans were not able to travel due to the Covid situation in the US. Therefore, he was unable to conduct research at the physical sites where the book's scenes took place, as had been his norm in writing previous books. And ... that research was an aspect that I really like about his writing. I enjoy having to Google places to find out what they're about :)
Hey Dick, I do not know what Ken Follett's next book will be. Somewhere, I read that a sequel to "Never" was being considered. That COVID explanation by Brad Taylor could certainly apply to Follett as well.

Jun 15, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #5,196 of 5,346
Hey Dick, I do not know what Ken Follett's next book will be. Somewhere, I read that a sequel to "Never" was being considered. That COVID explanation by Brad Taylor could certainly apply to Follett as well.
Yep - that's what I was thinking. It certainly affected the entire music industry, and maybe spawned a Grammy winner: Clapton's "The Lady in the Balcony." I won't bet against it.

Jun 23, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #5,199 of 5,346
Boys in Zinc by Svetlana Alexievich. Fascinating and harrowing in equal measure, and plenty of parallels between the Soviet Afghan war and the current war in Ukraine...

Jul 1, 2022 at 12:54 AM Post #5,201 of 5,346
Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir. I enjoyed The Martian, so thought I'd give this a try as well. Good sci-fi.

Jul 21, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #5,203 of 5,346
Valhalla Rising.jpeg
#16 in the Dirk Pitt series about NUMA and their marine-oriented science fiction
escapades. The entire Dirk Pitt series (there are 26 in total, written between 1973
and 2011) is recommended.

Jul 21, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #5,204 of 5,346
David Grohl’s The Story Teller…

35668EA9-FADB-4FC4-840E-75F0021F3BBB.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back