What book are you reading right now?
May 17, 2011 at 9:06 AM Post #1,951 of 5,346
+1 on the anything-by-Sagan.

Just wrapping up Sam Harris's "End of Faith" and despite not being in 100% agreement with everything he thinks, it's incredibly compelling and thought provoking.  I'd recommend it to anyone of faith or not for some great concepts to consider.

May 19, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #1,952 of 5,346

Quote:
The Bible!!!

Which one  ?

Personally I dislike how the Gospels of Thomas were edited out for nonconforming to the business model of the Religion .

But I do so like the ending in them all !

May 20, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #1,953 of 5,346
俺の妹がこんなに可愛いわけがない vol.2 for now..
Just picked up this series this week after seeing some gossip about the new vol.8 which interested me. Even though having watched the anime which covered the whole vol.1, little supprisingly it was still very enjoyable and involving reading.

May 20, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #1,954 of 5,346
Western Guide To
 Feng Shui

Terah K. Collins

/ Feng Shui Principal 1 :

Everything is Alive with Ch'i

// Or in other words "God is all" ...
regular_smile .gif

/// (other than ego, of course)

May 20, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #1,955 of 5,346
Just started reading a new book on an old subject.  Area 51.  I'm not a conspiracy theorist and really not terribly interested in listening to endless speculation and theories about this stuff, but I overheard an interview with the author on PBS the other day which intrigued me so much I had to get the book.

AREA 51 An Uncensored History of America's Top Secret Military Base by Annie Jacobsen.

Absolutely fascinating account of the history of Groom Lake, it's environs, the cold war, our bringing in German scientists, like VonBraun, etc. after WWII, their involvement, etc.  Based upon hundreds of interviews and unclassified documents as recent as 2011.  VERY INTERESTING!   So I won't spoil it for the rest of you, I will say no more, other than to say it will blow your socks off.  and...The flying saucers were real, but they weren't from where we thought they were from. 

May 20, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #1,956 of 5,346
Just started reading a new book on an old subject.  Area 51.  I'm not a conspiracy theorist and really not terribly interested in listening to endless speculation and theories about this stuff, but I overheard an interview with the author on PBS the other day which intrigued me so much I had to get the book.

AREA 51 An Uncensored History of America's Top Secret Military Base by Annie Jacobsen.

Absolutely fascinating account of the history of Groom Lake, it's environs, the cold war, our bringing in German scientists, like VonBraun, etc. after WWII, their involvement, etc.  Based upon hundreds of interviews and unclassified documents as recent as 2011.  VERY INTERESTING!   So I won't spoil it for the rest of you, I will say no more, other than to say it will blow your socks off.  and...The flying saucers were real, but they weren't from where we thought they were from. 

Hi Kevin:

So where were they from? If you don't want to ruin the ending for everyone, please feel free to PM me. :smile:

May 20, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #1,957 of 5,346

Quote:
俺の妹がこんなに可愛いわけがない vol.2 for now..
Just picked up this series this week after seeing some gossip about the new vol.8 which interested me. Even though having watched the anime which covered the whole vol.1, little supprisingly it was still very enjoyable and involving reading.

-can't read kanji-

I assume that's OreImo?  I watched the anime.  It's not bad. :p -likes saori- (kirino is awful.)

May 21, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #1,958 of 5,346

Quote:
-can't read kanji-

I assume that's OreImo?  I watched the anime.  It's not bad. :p -likes saori- (kirino is awful.)

yup~
My favourite is Ayase(which was the reason ==) and then Manami.. Kirino is somewhat more likeable in novel actually

May 21, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #1,959 of 5,346

Confrontations - A Scientist's Search for Alien Contact
by Jaques Vallee

Here's a synopsis:

[size=1.23em] FFrom Publishers Weekly[/size]

Vallee, a California astrophysicist, here analyzes UFO sightings that he has investigated personally and concludes that UFOs are real, but that, far from being the emissaries of extraterrestrial civilizations, they represent "a yet unrecognized level of consciousness, independent of man but closely linked to the earth." He argues that we will understand the UFO phenomenon only when we expand our view of the physical universe beyond four dimensions, and he urges scientists to take a greater interest in the subject because certain sightings that he has researched, particularly in Brazil, show that UFOs offer both a complex technology (probably microwave) and a hostile potential. Vallee's ( Dimensions ) theories will doubtless upset conventional ufologists, while nonbelievers will preserve their skepticism. 
Copyright 1990 Reed Business Information, Inc

May 21, 2011 at 5:28 AM Post #1,960 of 5,346
Rereading all the Pendergast books by Preston & Child.

May 21, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #1,962 of 5,346
I'm reading: Newt Gengrich: To Save America

Prior book read: Glenn Beck: Broke

I guess I'm just trying to get a grasp of what's involved with trying to correct some of the issues with our country.  These books were essentially gifts from the Holiday, that I'm now having time to read.

May 22, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #1,963 of 5,346
After finally finding the DVD of "The Loved One" (loved it) I've re-read the novel of the same name by Evelyn Waugh. Wickedly funny and highly recommended. Though written in 1948, it still breaks taboos about death and makes you laugh about things that should not be funny. Also a vicious poke at the United States, Los Angeles in particular.

The movie is a must-see, as well. A little uneven, but brilliant and hysterical enough to require watching. Liberace's gay casket salesman is hilarious, but Rod Steiger's mortician, Mr. Joyboy, is devestating. Especially the scene with his morbidly obese and food-obsessed mother. I read that this was Steiger's favorite role, as well. Who knew he could kill in a comedic role? The DVD isn't as easy to find as the book, but if you read the book, you'll seek out the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back