What beats the Westone UM3X ?
Mar 8, 2011 at 6:03 AM Post #17 of 31

Quote:
Thanks Rmccullo for the heads up. 

I've posted my impressions here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/527694/westone-4-appreciation-thread-and-reviews-a-k  -a-westone-4/1170#post_7325809  I think it just depends on your wallet.  If you're watching your pennies, and if you can get the um3x for less than $300, then they are the obvious choice.  The W4's aren't that much better.  I really had to interchange both repeatedly to hear the difference.  If you can splurge $450 on a set of earphones, and if that extra minute detail is of value, then the W4's are for you. 

Mar 8, 2011 at 6:17 AM Post #18 of 31

Quote:
I've heard the Westone 4's were superior as well. It seems as though the UM3X is more neutral/flat (which is what Westone intended).

One thing that I love about the flatness of the um3x is when listening to rock, there isn't a need to turn down the speakers when the big solo arises; or when the chorus comes around.  With a v-shaped sound, I fell like I need to be ready or else my ear drums will be bleeding.  I never understood the term "boring" when describing the um3x.  If you want more out of them, just turn the volume up a little more, and you get more bass, mids, and highs.  I think they might be boring if used at low levels becuase nothing jumps out.  I feel so engaged while using them that I don't know how they can be boring.  When listening to them, I hear every single intrument playing around me.  I think it's just a popular term used.  If one guy/girl says they're boring, a bunch will join in and agree.  The only time it's boring is if the listener is listening to boring music with the um3x.  When I listen to Tool with the um3x, I have to stop myself from playing the air drums. 

Feb 1, 2012 at 5:00 AM Post #19 of 31

I have the same opinion as you.

Boring? Far from it. I always find myself dancing or shaking my head when I hear this headphone. It is very difficult to listen to it when sitting...

Honestly, can anyone think that the musicians, when they are on stage, are not having fun? Think about that. They use this kind of IEM... :xf_eek:)

Quote:
One thing that I love about the flatness of the um3x is when listening to rock, there isn't a need to turn down the speakers when the big solo arises; or when the chorus comes around.  With a v-shaped sound, I fell like I need to be ready or else my ear drums will be bleeding.  I never understood the term "boring" when describing the um3x.  If you want more out of them, just turn the volume up a little more, and you get more bass, mids, and highs.  I think they might be boring if used at low levels becuase nothing jumps out.  I feel so engaged while using them that I don't know how they can be boring.  When listening to them, I hear every single intrument playing around me.  I think it's just a popular term used.  If one guy/girl says they're boring, a bunch will join in and agree.  The only time it's boring is if the listener is listening to boring music with the um3x.  When I listen to Tool with the um3x, I have to stop myself from playing the air drums. 

Feb 1, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #20 of 31

Shure SE535 Red Special Edition may beat them.

Look up the thread as Tienbasse did a comparison & i think they got beat.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/497285/shure-se535-reviews-and-first-impressions-thread/2265#post_8101769

Feb 1, 2012 at 8:30 AM Post #21 of 31

I've had a Shure SE530.

I'm not interested in this headphone.

For my taste, there is no comparison between them.

Quote:

Shure SE535 Red Special Edition may beat them.

Look up the thread as Tienbasse did a comparison & i think they got beat.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/497285/shure-se535-reviews-and-first-impressions-thread/2265#post_8101769

Feb 1, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #24 of 31

Quote:
I have been listening to the UM3X and Westone 4 interchangably for about a day now. The Westone 4 is easily superior, just based on the overall listening experience and not nitpicking at the details of the IEMs. The UM3X just sounded too open and seperated to be musical, whereas the W4 was very coherent.

Dont take my comments too seriously, its only been 2 days since the W4s arrived at my shop..

All a matter of taste, some people (including me) value separation and clarity over coherence and realism.
wink.gif

I have found all "coherent" IEMs/headphones that I tried "boring", and UM3X clearly don't qualify as "boring" to my taste.

Quote:

I've had a Shure SE530.

I'm not interested in this headphone.

For my taste, there is no comparison between them.

You had the SE530, so you think you know how the SE535 and SE535Red sound?
wink.gif

Now if you tell me that you don't like forward mids, I'll agree and say that the SE535/SE535Red are not for you because they have very forward mids.

But honestly, if you like forward mids and extreme separation, SE535Red just beats UM3X in these areas. Some may prefer the UM3X treble and bass are pretty much identical, but other than that, yes SE535Red are that good.
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #27 of 31
Good point. One can prefer the SM3's. I don't for sure (way too dark), but know many people that do, including reviewers from this forum.

Feb 2, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #28 of 31
This is thread necro, guys. The OP already got a set of Miracles.

Feb 3, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #29 of 31

Oh, Yes!

Nothing indicates that there was a big sound changes between the SE530/535/535Red models. 

For my taste, UM3X is vastly superior.

First, the SE5xx have a condensed sound, that narrows the soundstage, separation of instruments, etc., making the sound "small" and miniaturized;

Second, the sound signature, in general, reminds me of a dynamic driver IEM, which I dislike. Lack some precision;

Third, lack of consistency in the functioning of balanced armature drivers. On some songs I had the distinct feeling of listening to the functioning of a particular driver, rather than functioning as a whole;

Fourth, this headphone is pretty hard to amplify, because of their low impedance and high sensitivity. I did not like this combination, resulting in a "excited" sound. In this case, the Shure SE420 (which I also had) come out much better.

And lastly, I do not believe the Shure´s "house sound"  has changed. And I was a fan of the Westone´s "house sound".

Several headphones have passed through my ears: Shure SE420/530, Ety ER4S/P, DBA-02, Westone W3 and several other dinamic drivers earphones that are not worth to be mentioned.

None of them ever gave me much pleasure as the Westone UM3X.

This is my opinion.

Quote:
You had the SE530, so you think you know how the SE535 and SE535Red sound?
wink.gif

Now if you tell me that you don't like forward mids, I'll agree and say that the SE535/SE535Red are not for you because they have very forward mids.

But honestly, if you like forward mids and extreme separation, SE535Red just beats UM3X in these areas. Some may prefer the UM3X treble and bass are pretty much identical, but other than that, yes SE535Red are that good.
biggrin.gif

Feb 3, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #30 of 31

Quote:
Nothing indicates that there was a big sound changes between the SE530/535/535Red models. 

For my taste, UM3X is vastly superior.

First, the SE5xx have a condensed sound, that narrows the soundstage, separation of instruments, etc., making the sound "small" and miniaturized;

Second, the sound signature, in general, reminds me of a dynamic driver IEM, which I dislike. Lack some precision;

Ok you're right, nothing indicates a change except the reviews that people spent time writing here (including mine), where they specifically compared SE535Red and UM3X because of their similarities. 
wink.gif

There's no point in continuing a necro-thread, you're entitled to your opinion/taste, as well as I am to mine, in which SE420 are the most boring IEMs that I ever had, SE53x are complete antagonists of your typical dynamic driver IEMs, and a brand is not "bound" to a signature type because the series number are close (ie W3 versus W4).  
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back