What beats the Westone UM3X ?
Mar 5, 2011 at 4:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

greenmac

100+ Head-Fier
I have had a set of these for a few weeks now and really like them with my Pico slim and IPOD classic

Whats else is out there that could beat them ??

Have tried a few recently but nothing has impressed ....

Would welcome any suggestions

Cheers

Mar 5, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #4 of 31
Yes, UM3x are great...you're pretty much side-grading at this point, unless maybe you are stepping into customs.

Mar 5, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #7 of 31
I had the UM3x and sold them to help fun the W4...so while I can't do a direct comparison I can give my impressions.

First of all, IMHO, the W4 is NOT a significant step up, and is in fact a side-grade. The W4 are by comparison more balanced, laid back, deeper soundstage.

UM3x have more bass presence, more forward mids, and for me had a better fit.
  If they were the same price, I would go with the W4, since they overall have a smoother signature that is good for all types of music.
  But for $100 or more less, the UM3x have a perfect fit, replaceable cables, and slightly more fun factor with their signature...

Mar 5, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #8 of 31
Thanks Takoyaki, the replaceable cables make the UM3X very attractive. I read about some issues with the cables being loose and/or the piece connecting the headphone to the cables falling off. Did you have any issues?

Mar 5, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #9 of 31
Greenmac, the UM3Xs are very good, but don't meet everyone's preferences.  Is there a different sound signature you're looking for in your IEMs?

Mar 5, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #10 of 31
Rmccullo can you let me know what you think about the UM3X vs W4's? I'm trying to decide whether to go for the UM3X or the 4's.
I will definitely let you know. Only thing is I'm not good at expressing what Im hearing from an iem. I do have a really good ear for music though. The w4's should get to me on Monday so I won't know till then. But if cost is a slight issue, there are some crazy deals for a set of used um3x's on the for sale section. I've seen one guy selling them for $220.

Mar 6, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #11 of 31
UE Triple.fi 10. Hands down. Though Sony Hybrids are a must with this IEM (difficult to get a good fit with the supplied tips).

Mar 6, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #14 of 31
Thanks Rmccullo for the heads up. 

Quote:
Quote:
Rmccullo can you let me know what you think about the UM3X vs W4's? I'm trying to decide whether to go for the UM3X or the 4's.

I will definitely let you know. Only thing is I'm not good at expressing what Im hearing from an iem. I do have a really good ear for music though. The w4's should get to me on Monday so I won't know till then. But if cost is a slight issue, there are some crazy deals for a set of used um3x's on the for sale section. I've seen one guy selling them for $220.

Mar 6, 2011 at 9:32 AM Post #15 of 31
I have been listening to the UM3X and Westone 4 interchangably for about a day now. The Westone 4 is easily superior, just based on the overall listening experience and not nitpicking at the details of the IEMs. The UM3X just sounded too open and seperated to be musical, whereas the W4 was very coherent.

Dont take my comments too seriously, its only been 2 days since the W4s arrived at my shop..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back