What are your top ten favorite rock bands?
Mar 24, 2002 at 1:35 AM Post #31 of 68
I dunno - I never really dug any of the Beatles music - the stuff their fans called deep I just didn't like, and their more catchy pop stuff, while very appealing from a "hey-that's-stuck-in-my-head" standpoint, never had much depth.

I prolly woulda loved em had I lived through their time.....

I do love George Harrison's solo stuff, though. "All Things Must Pass" is a great two-cd set - really, really great.

Mar 24, 2002 at 4:18 PM Post #33 of 68
I just didn't like it.........I don't think the Beatles are bad. I think they are a band that really changed Rock and Roll - and music, with it.

That doesn't mean I have to like it.....different strokes.....

Mar 24, 2002 at 4:29 PM Post #34 of 68
arnett,

I think it is important to remember that this is a list of favorite bands, not the best. As long as folks acknowledge The Beatles contribution to music (there is no way to overrate The Beatles).

I'd be a bit more upset if they were left off of a "best bands" list. Frankly, my favorites list would change slightly in that case.

Mar 24, 2002 at 5:24 PM Post #35 of 68
Well said, sd jones.

My best band list would be considerably different.....

Mar 24, 2002 at 6:13 PM Post #36 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by sd jones

11. Gram Parsons (The Byrds, Flying Burrito Bros., solo)

This man deserves a round of applause for having such discerning tastes
biggrin.gif

Seriously, I don't know if you could class GP as being a rock musician but whatever he was, he produced some damn fine music.

If I was pushed, i'd probably say that GP is my fave artist of all time but i'd be torn between him and Dylan. Now there's a legen din his own right.

Sound As Ever
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 24, 2002 at 6:26 PM Post #37 of 68
Some of my fave rock bands ar:

WILCO
THE WHO
NEIL YOUNG AND CRAZY HORSE
GRATEFUL DEAD
DEL AMITRI
STEVE EARLE
TOM PETTY & THE HEARTBREAKERS
FLYING BURRITO BROS.
EAGLES
YARDBIRDS
JAYHAWKS
LITTLE FEAT
BYRDS
BOB DYLAN
WHISKEYTOWN

Number on above all bands for me would be the BYRDS but I don't know if you can class them as rock?

LITTLE FEAT are getting some serious play with me at the moment but again, do they fit into the rock genre?

As I mention in an earlier post BOB DYLAN is one of my heroes. His electric stuff ala Highway 61 Revisited and Blonde On Blonde are fantastic rock albums but apart from a stint with THE BAND in the late '60 and a later tour with TOM PETTY & THE HEARTBREAKERS he has never really had his own band so I think these two would have to be struck off my list.

Sound As Ever
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 24, 2002 at 6:40 PM Post #38 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by sd jones
arnett,

I think it is important to remember that this is a list of favorite bands, not the best. As long as folks acknowledge The Beatles contribution to music (there is no way to overrate The Beatles).

I'd be a bit more upset if they were left off of a "best bands" list. Frankly, my favorites list would change slightly in that case.

you're right. i thought about that after i posted my comments.

still, i don't know too many of my friends who would keep the beatles off their *top ten* list.

but maybe that's just me . . .
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 24, 2002 at 7:27 PM Post #39 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by arnett
still, i don't know too many of my friends who would keep the beatles off their *top ten* list.

Maybe that's why they're your friends?

Mar 25, 2002 at 4:21 AM Post #41 of 68
1. Bruce (need I speak his name)
2. Rolling Stones
3. Jefferson Airplane
4. Beatles
5. Grateful Dead
6. Spirit
7. Moby Grape
8. Country Joe and the Fish
9. Doors
10. Quicksilver Messenger Service

Mar 25, 2002 at 8:41 AM Post #42 of 68
In no particular order (except for U2 being my favorite of all of them
biggrin.gif
)

U2
Beatles
Led Zep
Metallica
Tom Petty
DMB (not really a rock band, but hey...)
Rolling Stones
Springsteen
The Who
Radiohead (although I have to admit I haven't really like much of their stuff after Ok Computer)

Mar 25, 2002 at 9:30 AM Post #43 of 68
Big ups to:

Melvins (best live rock band)
Godflesh (changed the definition of 'heavy' forever)
Green Day (consistently fun-to-listen-to songs: diet punk)
Black Sabbath (with Ozzy of course)
Slayer (with Dave Lombardo on drums)
Faith No More (The Real Thing and Angel Dust era)
Tool (for putting slow songs on the radio)
Nirvana (...oh, if only...)

can't think of any others...

Mar 25, 2002 at 3:56 PM Post #44 of 68
Originally posted by KeVlaR

Seriously, I don't know if you could class GP as being a rock musician but whatever he was, he produced some damn fine music.

I'm not sure that GP qualifies as rock or not, but other than the Beatles, probably my favorite artist. The saddest songs I've ever heard...

Whiskeytown's Strangers Almanac is running through my V6's as I type. I could very easily list as some of my favorite bands Wilco, Jayhawks, Son Volt, Whiskeytown (Ryan Adams), Steve Earle...all greatly influenced by Gram Parsons.

BTW, I am anxiously awaiting Wilco's new release, early reviews are extremely favorable.

Mar 25, 2002 at 7:12 PM Post #45 of 68
Let's see...today it would be...

Gov't Mule
Pantera
Ozzy Osbourne
Tool
Pink Floyd(with Roger Waters)
Led Zep
Aerosmith
Jimmy Hendriks
Rush
Queensryche(with Chris DeGarmo not Kelly Gray)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back