what are your top 5 RPGs?
Nov 29, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #76 of 243
Didnt like FFXII even a little bit. Final Fantasy died after X. I still play each new one that comes out, but thats just to support JRPGs.

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #77 of 243
Top 5:
Pokemon Emerald
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team
Pokemon FireRed
N/A

Pretty sad list, I've been meaning to try the Final Fantasy Series for quite some time now. I played most of these games when I was much younger though, excluding TES4: Oblivion. Are there any good PC versions of FF? I don't own the primary consoles for FF (XBOX/PS3)

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #78 of 243
Quote:
Didnt like FFXII even a little bit. Final Fantasy died after X. I still play each new one that comes out, but thats just to support JRPGs.

Have you played FFXIII-2 yet? I'm getting a 360 for Christmas (yeah, I'm a little late) and some people have told me to skip FFXIII altogether and try FFXIII-2. I'll probably grab it if I can find it on the cheap.

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #79 of 243
@Mad Lust Envy:
Yeah, FF X was probably the last good one. I think FF IX could use some more love though. It was the only PS1 FF game that didn't get a PC release. Yet somehow, Square-Enix decided to do another PC release of FF VII instead... *sigh*

@Kukuk:
Did you get a tissue after reading *the letter* to Kid?
Chrono Cross was pretty nice, especially with the music (Yatsunori Mitsuda is awesome; I bought the OST). Oh, and it made Flea's sex obvious.

Going back on topic...

In no particular order:
Final Fantasy VI - why can't we get endings like this these days!?
Neverwinter Nights - the Bioware one, not the old AOL one; this gets an install on just about every new PC I get
Seiken Densetsu 3 - the series hasn't been the same since Legend of Mana... T_T
Fallout - first one was the best; Fallout 3 was overrated but New Vegas was a good saving throw
Xenogears - the pinnacle of traditional JRPG gameplay in its day; for anyone interested in playing it, you will want to play it at least twice since the plot in the early game is likely to fly over your head on your first run

I'm surprised I manged this list without a major SRPG game in it since I'm a junkie of the genre. But I guess Fallout sorta counts, though.

It's always nice to see people bringing up less-mentioned games. I think it would be interesting if people also mentioned a relatively unknown RPG as well to recommend to others. Might get other people interested.

Lastly, does anyone else miss the Phantasy Star tetralogy? You know... the games before the Dreamcast MMORPG.

Nov 29, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #80 of 243
Quote:
^ hahaha! Quick someone post their top 5 RPGs so I don't feel like I totally derailed this thread!

Brings back some memories.  Here's a list—too lazy to think about order—to save derail.
  1. Resonance of Fate (aka End of Eternity)
  2. Valkyrie Profile (Lenneth)
  3. Star Ocean: Till the End of Time (3rd game in series)
  4. Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (the original, of course not the GBA gaiden)
  5. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn

Honorable mentions also to
  1. Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen (the original, not OB64)
  2. Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter (5th and last game in series)
  3. Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals
  4. Radiata Stories
  5. Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria
  6. Icewind Dale

I don't particularly like the single character (or single character you control) games.  Also not a fan of random encounters, most traditional DQ-style menu combat (though I admit there are some successes, like with some of SNES-era Square ATB systems, some DQ, etc.), most regular enemies.  Everything above is mostly there just for combat and exploration aspects, except Lufia II (combat) / Radiata Stories / TRPGs (no exploration, duh) of course.  Actually, most of these have suitable and decent soundtracks too, as far as video game music goes.

btw maybe it should be pointed out that I'm not much a Disgaea or Nippon Ichi fan—the avatar is just to be goofy.  
cool.gif

Nov 29, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #81 of 243
Torchlight 2
X3: Terran Conflict
X3: Rebirth
still playing freelancer with some mods.

Nov 29, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #82 of 243
Quote:

Brings back some memories.  Here's a list—too lazy to think about order—to save derail.
  1. Resonance of Fate (aka End of Eternity)
  2. Valkyrie Profile (Lenneth)
  3. Star Ocean: Till the End of Time (3rd game in series)
  4. Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (the original, of course not the GBA gaiden)
  5. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn

Honorable mentions also to
  1. Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen (the original, not OB64)
  2. Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter (5th and last game in series)
  3. Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals
  4. Radiata Stories
  5. Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria
  6. Icewind Dale

I don't particularly like the single character (or single character you control) games.  Also not a fan of random encounters, most traditional DQ-style menu combat (though I admit there are some successes, like with some of SNES-era Square ATB systems, some DQ, etc.), most regular enemies.  Everything above is mostly there just for combat and exploration aspects, except Lufia II (combat) / Radiata Stories / TRPGs (no exploration, duh) of course.  Actually, most of these have suitable and decent soundtracks too, as far as video game music goes.

btw maybe it should be pointed out that I'm not much a Disgaea or Nippon Ichi fan—the avatar is just to be goofy.  
cool.gif

Glad to see some Radiata Stories love. While I did think it had some flaws, I thought the whole charm of the game overpowered those weaknesses.

Nov 30, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #83 of 243
Quote:
Torchlight 2
X3: Terran Conflict
X3: Rebirth
still playing freelancer with some mods.

I really enjoyed X3:TC, but I'm not sure it's an RPG.

Quote:
Top 5
Baldur's Gate II
Neverwinter Nights
Planescape: Torment
Knights of the Old Republic
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines

Thank you!  I was so afraid I was going to be the only one to mention Planescape:Torment, and wondered what alternate reality I'd been dropped into....

Nov 30, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #84 of 243
I'm an old school P&P RPG junky and those really flipped my switches, so to speak.

Dec 2, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #85 of 243
Man i read  this whole thread and no one posted for Vagrant Story 
frown.gif

it was my fav PS1 RPG set in the same world as FFXII and the newer Tactics games it was great!
 Other mentions have to be Mass effect 1
FFVIII " Zell Dincht hot dog eatter for life!!"

Also Earth Bound!!! one of the most well made RPG's on earth!

Man reading all these makes me want to go back and replay some of them i saw some great blast from the past games posted here!!

Dec 9, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #86 of 243
Man i read  this whole thread and no one posted for Vagrant Story :frowning2:

it was my fav PS1 RPG set in the same world as FFXII and the newer Tactics games it was great!
 Other mentions have to be Mass effect 1
FFVIII " Zell Dincht hot dog eatter for life!!"

Also Earth Bound!!! one of the most well made RPG's on earth!

Man reading all these makes me want to go back and replay some of them i saw some great blast from the past games posted here!!

If I made my honorable mentions list longer, it probably would've had Earthbound / Mother 2 and Vagrant Story, mostly for being different. Actually, Mother series rolling HP system (on taking damage) is a pretty good innovation in my opinion.

Vagrant Story's combat mostly degenerated into just loading up the right weapon / combinations / whatever or just using that [max HP - current HP] -based move over and over again. Raging Ache? I liked the other aspects though. It's definitely an underlooked game.

Dec 12, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #88 of 243
Quote:
Definetly

1) Might and magic 7 
2) Oblivion
3) Fallout 3
4) Diablo 3 (kinda action-rpg huh?)
5) Risen

my private award goes to baldur's gate 2.

I tried to play this recently. It aged very poorly, which is a shame since I have such fond memories of playing it.
frown.gif

Have you played Skyrim?

Dec 12, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #89 of 243
Try the Nehrim mod, it gives Oblivion new life and a better story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back