what are your top 5 RPGs?
Nov 28, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #61 of 243
I really enjoyed Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door on Gamecube...that was a great one, too.

Square Enix have really suffered lately. Anyone read that interview on IGN with Square prez about how another FF14 would destroy the company? I don't think they will ever get back to how they were in the golden (SNES / PSX) era... Final Fantasy stopped being Final Fantasy after FFX, in my opinion.

Nov 28, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #62 of 243
Quote:
I really enjoyed Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door on Gamecube...that was a great one, too.

Square Enix have really suffered lately. Anyone read that interview on IGN with Square prez about how another FF14 would destroy the company? I don't think they will ever get back to how they were in the golden (SNES / PSX) era... Final Fantasy stopped being Final Fantasy after FFX, in my opinion.

*Sigh*  You may be right.  It's sad really, what happened to Square?  A new Final Fantasy game used to be a big deal. 

Nov 28, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #63 of 243
Nov 28, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #64 of 243
Yep.  If there was one game I had to choose to be stuck with on a deserted island it would be Final Fantasy X.  I would then proceed to use X-2 as fire wood.
tongue.gif

Nov 28, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #65 of 243
No love for FFXII despite it being a better game than FFX?

Wish my nostalgia goggles still worked.
frown.gif

(Though I do agree that Square-Enix has fallen a long way.)

Nov 28, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #66 of 243
Quote:

frown.gif

Don't get me wrong I'm sure XII and XIII were good games, and to be fair most if not all main story Final Fantasy games are good in their own right.  But for me personally, the ones after X just didn't have the same magic that made the previous games special.

Nov 28, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #68 of 243
Quote:

frown.gif

I played (and completed) FFXII, and it doesn't even rank on my top 10 list. Even if it was called something other than Final Fantasy, I'd still say it was a sub-par game. Looked pretty, very polished...but the story was convoluted, boring and the characters (other than the sky pirate/Jack Sparrow dude) were totally forgettable.

Nov 28, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #69 of 243
Quote:
I played (and completed) FFXII, and it doesn't even rank on my top 10 list. Even if it was called something other than Final Fantasy, I'd still say it was a sub-par game. Looked pretty, very polished...but the story was convoluted, boring and the characters (other than the sky pirate/Jack Sparrow dude) were totally forgettable.

I don't know if you've played FFX recently, but it hasn't aged very well. The story is very sappy, the writing piss-poor, and the voice acting laughable. FFXII on the other hand is extremely well-written and mature. Characters, while maybe don't have as much personality, makes up for it by, again, being well written and toned down. It's generally very much like a, older Final Fantasy game, yet because it was made after the merger it's somehow seen as newfangled Square-Enix garbage. Were it released before the merger, I've no doubt it would be well loved, and regarded as a classic.

Nov 28, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #70 of 243
Quote:

I don't know if you've played FFX recently, but it hasn't aged very well. The story is very sappy, the writing piss-poor, and the voice acting laughable. FFXII on the other hand is extremely well-written and mature. Characters, while maybe don't have as much personality, makes up for it by, again, being well written and toned down. It's generally very much like a, older Final Fantasy game, yet because it was made after the merger it's somehow seen as newfangled Square-Enix garbage. Were it released before the merger, I've no doubt it would be well loved, and regarded as a classic.

Funny thing is, I'm actually playing both X and XII again on my PC using PCSX2 emulator and upscaling them to 1080p, so in that regard they have aged very well when played in full HD :wink:  But for me, I still enjoy X more...bad voice acting and all. I guess I'm just more into traditional turn-based gameplay than the MMO-ish gameplay of FFXII.

I'll tell you what hasn't aged well at all....FFVII. Of course, Square will never remake it, because why on earth would they do anything to please their old-school fan base?? (yes I am being very sarcastic)

Nov 28, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #71 of 243
Quote:

Funny thing is, I'm actually playing both X and XII again on my PC using PCSX2 emulator and upscaling them to 1080p, so in that regard they have aged very well when played in full HD :wink:  But for me, I still enjoy X more...bad voice acting and all. I guess I'm just more into traditional turn-based gameplay than the MMO-ish gameplay of FFXII.

I'll tell you what hasn't aged well at all....FFVII. Of course, Square will never remake it, because why on earth would they do anything to please their old-school fan base?? (yes I am being very sarcastic)

With the way Square is now, I'm not sure how confident I would be in their ability to properly remake it.  That last part of your post sums up Capcom quite well too.

Nov 28, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #72 of 243
Quote:

They're not remaking it because they literally can't. They could touch it up and apply some new textures to it, making it an enhanced port, but they cannot redo it from scratch... there are too many details; the result would not resemble the original at all.

Nov 28, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #73 of 243
Well, I sort of agree with both posts above. Current Square would most likely muck it up and the end product of a FFVII remake would probably not resemble FFVII in the slightest. And Sephiroth would probably be wearing a pink half-shirt and purple scarf.
tongue.gif

And it would be a first-person shooter.

Ok, I'm done...

Nov 28, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #74 of 243
Quote:
Well, I sort of agree with both posts above. Current Square would most likely muck it up and the end product of a FFVII remake would probably not resemble FFVII in the slightest. And Sephiroth would probably be wearing a pink half-shirt and purple scarf.
tongue.gif

And it would be a first-person shooter.

Ok, I'm done...

They could call it Final Fantasy 7 Black OPS: Sephiroth's Journey to find himself.

Nov 28, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #75 of 243
^ hahaha! Quick someone post their top 5 RPGs so I don't feel like I totally derailed this thread!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back