What are your favorite acoustic guitar albums?
Jul 19, 2008 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

elmer_42

100+ Head-Fier
Recently I found an album by the Los Angeles Guitar Quartet called Air & Ground (I'm listening to it right now actually) and I'm finding it to be quite a pleasant CD. I think the most similar thing I have to it right now is Eric Clapton's Unplugged, but can anybody recommend some guitar-only albums? I would really like to find some more of this stuff. It's great to sit in a quiet place with this album and a book.

Jul 19, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #2 of 33
Two albums worth checking out. I love them both!
Nils Lofgren - "Acoustic Live"
William Ackerman - "Returning"

Jul 19, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #3 of 33
Try Leo Kottke's "6 & 12 String Guitar" album, sometimes referred to as the Armadillo Album. Just great - one of my favorites. You might also enjoy Tal Farlow and Django Reinhardt. Check them out.

Jul 19, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #4 of 33
I've just recently discovered Preston Reed. No final opinion or album recommendations yet, but I like what little I've heard. Reminds me of Michael Hedges, but I got tired of him.

Mooch

Jul 19, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #5 of 33
California Guitar Trio - Pathways
California Guitar Trio - White Water
David Lamotte - Corners
David Lamotte - Hard Earned Smile
Pat Metheny - One Quiet Night
Philip Hii - Chopin Nocturnes

These are my go-to discs for guitar music. The Philip Hii has some lovers and haters out there. I like it, but there's certainly better out there. The CGT discs image really well, you can pick out all three guitarists on the stage. David Lamotte is a singer / songwriter, so it may not qualify as pure guitar, but it's good stuff as well. Pat Metheny's disc is really good. Some of the best sounding baritone guitar I've heard.

Jul 19, 2008 at 11:02 AM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Michael Hedges - Aerial Boundaries is both a fantastic album AND has amazingly incredibly fantasticly wow sound quality.

I very much agree with that!

Another of my favorites for acoustic guitar album is Andy Mckee. A lot of his stuff can be seen on youtube and my favorite is his album Art Of Motion. Here's a link to the title song:

YouTube - Andy Mckee - Art of Motion - Guitar - www.candyrat.com

Jul 19, 2008 at 2:20 PM Post #12 of 33
Guitars and Other Cathedrals - Adrian Legg or let's make it easy, anything by Doyle Dykes.

Jul 19, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #13 of 33
Maybe try something Brazilian?

Luiz Bonfá

Solo in Rio 1959

João Gilberto (good luck finding the first two)

João Gilberto

O Amor, O Sorriso e a Flor

In Tokyo

Live in Montreux

Caetano Veloso

Caetano Veloso (the one from the '80s, not the '60s)

Jul 19, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #14 of 33
Some great suggestions here. Definitely going to check them all out...

Jul 19, 2008 at 6:19 PM Post #15 of 33
A couple I enjoy are Solid Air by John Martyn and Blues Singer by Buddy Guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back