What are your clip EQ settings?
Apr 23, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #46 of 51
I really like the EQ on my Rockboxed Fuze. +1db treble for my Senn HD485 and +1 bass for my Head-Direct RE2 does the trick. The crossfeed is great too.

Apr 23, 2009 at 11:47 AM Post #47 of 51
Been playing with the Custom setting. Its 'variable' to say the least.

All level you adjust any one of them one click up or down and the sound goes to hell.

Not very sophisticated is it? Then for £25 what is?

Apr 23, 2009 at 1:08 PM Post #48 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by daglesj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Been playing with the Custom setting. Its 'variable' to say the least.

All level you adjust any one of them one click up or down and the sound goes to hell.

Not very sophisticated is it? Then for £25 what is?

It seems to go to hell because the default midline sliders aren't really at zero, they're all at +4.
wink.gif
That's what we've been discussing in the thread, so just go back and read some of the posts (#18-23 for example) if you don't get it.

It seems that if you move even one slider up or down a click, they all suddenly drop to 0, except the one you moved of course, which is now at +1 (or -1). I guess the sudden contrast makes the difference sound bad by comparison, because strictly speaking you're probably closer to actual zero at that point than before. So I could be wrong, but it seems to me that would be the explanation for why it suddenly sounds weird and crappy when you move even one slider.

So that's another reason it's strange that Sandisk would set it up like that, because the experience of most users is that it sounds like crap when they adjust the EQ, so they just give up on it right away, or else use the preset ones (which are all crap, imo
tongue.gif
except rock, which is *sort of* okay for some things, and maybe the same for jazz, though it's even worse than rock). It seems to discourage people from using their own EQ, which might be a good thing in some cases, but overall isn't very useful. If they're going to set everything at +4, they should just make the sliders appear at +4! Then everyone would know what they were getting.

Apr 23, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #49 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really like the EQ on my Rockboxed Fuze. +1db treble for my Senn HD485 and +1 bass for my Head-Direct RE2 does the trick. The crossfeed is great too.

Nice that you are enjoying rockbox on the fuze, I love it on two of our clips, but I don't like it amp'd as I can't use crossfeed or some other tweaks without distortion. I am thinking of buying a fuze and I have a quick question, have you tried it with ClieOS LOD to a portable amp?

Edit: I mean running rockbox/fuze w/LOD to amp

Apr 25, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #50 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lul, wut? Mine doesn't distort.
smily_headphones1.gif

It sounds like very subtle distortion to me. And I'm not talking about the volume change. I made a small boost in two lowest bands and it took a few days for me to notice that the sound had a problem (distortion is the only word I know for it) and I went back to flat custom or normal.

The low frequency boost is only a crutch needed for some portable headphones with weak bass, good full-size or some portables like modded ksc-75s don't need any EQ.

Apr 25, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #51 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It sounds like very subtle distortion to me. And I'm not talking about the volume change. I made a small boost in two lowest bands and it took a few days for me to notice that the sound had a problem (distortion is the only word I know for it) and I went back to flat custom or normal.

The low frequency boost is only a crutch needed for some portable headphones with weak bass, good full-size or some portables like modded ksc-75s don't need any EQ.

That's interesting, I'll have to listen for that.

You're right the ksc75s don't seem to need EQ, but for me the PK3s did to tame the midrange a little. Too spiky there, like grados.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back