What are you reading?
Jul 10, 2006 at 2:29 PM Post #16 of 73
Practical Electronics for Inventors by Paul Sherz... and I am utterly confused.
rolleyes.gif

For fun reading, I just finished Hitchhiker's Guide, and haven't found another book... yet.

Jul 10, 2006 at 3:15 PM Post #17 of 73
the essential board review for work
for pleasure-just finished angels and demons by dan brown
next-?

Jul 10, 2006 at 3:36 PM Post #18 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by hembergler
Practical Electronics for Inventors by Paul Sherz... and I am utterly confused.
rolleyes.gif

For fun reading, I just finished Hitchhiker's Guide, and haven't found another book... yet.

Read the whole "trilogy" for that book - it's hilarious how everything ties into each other - I had to re-read the previous books just to get all the references!

Jul 10, 2006 at 3:51 PM Post #20 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik
For some fun? Try these by Charles Portis:

The Dog Of The South
Masters Of Atlantis
Norwood
. . .

If you want something epic and hilarious, try The Sot-Weed Factor by John Barth. And anything by Evelyn Waugh; my favorite is The Loved One.

Congratulations on your display of rarefied taste. I'd also like to digit out that The Sot-Weed Factor is useful as well as (laboriously) witty. I haven't read said tome since I was a teen, but I recall its having nearly six pages of synonyms for the word "harlot":-- invaluable for my kind of characterization.

I will admit, however, to liking Scoop even more than The Loved One. Waugh's apparent belief that all Scottish accents are cretinous is untrue and inhumane, of course; but his application of the idea, like Python's, is cruelly amusing.

I'm curious: Why is your list missing Flann O'Brien?

Jul 10, 2006 at 3:51 PM Post #21 of 73
Garden of Beasts by Jeffery Deaver

Jul 10, 2006 at 9:11 PM Post #24 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by hembergler

If you love HitchHikers, or are turning into a fan. DO NOT read the 5th book.

Watch the TV show, see the film, listen to the readioplays and the audiobooks and read the first 4 parts.

Avoid Mostly Harmless, not because its bad, but because itll destroy everythign that you love about HitchHikers.

Jul 11, 2006 at 2:02 AM Post #25 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh
If you love HitchHikers, or are turning into a fan. DO NOT read the 5th book.

Watch the TV show, see the film, listen to the readioplays and the audiobooks and read the first 4 parts.

Avoid Mostly Harmless, not because its bad, but because itll destroy everythign that you love about HitchHikers.

Seconded. Mostly Harmless is not worth it.

Also look into Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, by Adams. Just as funny, if not funnier, than Hitchhiker's.

edit: charles portis looks pretty interesting.

Jul 11, 2006 at 4:06 AM Post #26 of 73
Extremely Loud and Incrediby Close
The Shadow of the Wind

ELaIC is one of hte facorite books after reading it.

Jul 11, 2006 at 9:21 AM Post #27 of 73
Hi everyone,

I am currently reading King of Foxes, Book Three of the Conclave of Shadows by Raymond E. Feist.

Daniel.

Jul 11, 2006 at 11:34 AM Post #28 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63
I thought I take a different approach for a change. I just started reading the Bible arranged in chronological order. It's pretty cool and insightful reading together the different perspectives and descriptions of same events.

I see that the Bible interests you, and since you mention that you like "different perspectives," I'd like to plug the Book of Jasher. There are two mentions of it in the OT, on the order of "Behold, it is written in the Book of Jasher." Years ago, when I first read the Bible thru, I read those mentions and thought that the book was surely long lost. No, it was rediscovered some years ago, and is in print, but not terribly easy to find. Jasher clears up some mysteries that the Bible leaves blank, but it is not totally reliable as history. A good read, nevertheless.

BTW, the Chronological Bible is sadly out of print...

Laz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back