What are you reading?
Jul 12, 2006 at 3:56 PM Post #46 of 73
actually, to elaborate a little bit, i have been on a bit of a "classics" run lately.

here are some books i have read recently:

candide, voltaire
catch-22, joseph heller
catcher in the rye, JD salinger
meditations of marcus aurelius
wuthering heights, emily bronte
brave new world, aldous huxley

and here are some "non-fun" books i have also been (forced) to read recently:

harrison's principles of internal medicine
pathological basis of disease
gray's anatomy
clinical medicine
and the list goes on...
frown.gif

Jul 12, 2006 at 4:38 PM Post #47 of 73
For School:

John Knowles - A Seperate Piece

For Leisure:

Bernard Goldberg - The 110 People Who Are Screwing Up America
Ann Coulter - Godless: The Church of Liberalism

Jul 15, 2006 at 2:46 AM Post #48 of 73
The Variety of Life by Colin Tudge -- this admirable and immensely enjoyable book sets out to do the seemingly impossable: to take stock of all major groups of microbes, plants and animals in little more than 600 pages. While taxonomic jargons are unavoidable in books like these, the prose is lively and elegant, with hosts of beautiful line drawings. The author bases his classification schemes on the latest findings in cladistics and molecular biology, and may surprise some who cling on to the memory of their high-school classes. Not just for biology freaks like me, but for anyone wishing to acquaint with our fellow passengers on the blue planet.

Sex in History by Reay Tannahill -- another book whose ambitious scope borders on the impossible: surveying the role of sex all human cultures, from the earliest cavemen to this day and age. I just started on this book and I'm totally engrossed: Tannahill combines admirable scholarship with good-natured wit. Her stance towards controversial issues is commonsensal and relaxingly un-feminist. A required reading.

Entanglement by Amir D Aczel -- by the author of Fermet's Last Theorem, this book purports to discuss the phenomenon of "entanglement" in quantum mechanics: the mysterious ways by which two particles interact even though they are light-years apart. In truth, at least half of the book is filled with silly, dramatized biographies of scientists -- as if anyone cares about Schodinger's ilicit lovers. The science is badly presented, the explanation of experiments muddled and inconsistent. Thumbs down.

Jul 15, 2006 at 6:21 PM Post #50 of 73
Here's a post of mine from another thread... I'm currently between books, but these would be my recommendations:
Quote:

Originally Posted by en480c4
The Historian - Elizabeth Kostova
This is the most recent book that really grabbed me. It's an amazingly balanced web of 3 different stories involving a girl, her family and the hunt for Dracula over the course of decades. It got a lot of good press, and I was hesitant to buy into it, but it was well worth the time. I can't remember the last time I bought into a story and the characters like this... I was completely engrossed.

House of Leaves - Mark Z. Danielewski
An incredibly challenging book... words can't describe what the story is, how it progresses and where it ends up. An experiemental novel that doesn't disappoint.

Syrup, Jennifer Government & The Company - Max Barry
Cultural satire at its finest. Syrup is laugh-out-loud funny while skewering advertising, Jennifer Government does much of the same with marketing, but does so in a very different way. And The Company manages to ridicule corporate America at its best... I mean worst.

Summer of Night, Darwin's Blade, A Winter Haunting - Dan Simmons
Summer of Night is an amazing story of a town that has way more going on beneath the surface than it seems. It's a story of childhood friendships in the face of unspeakable horrors. And he does something I really like... later novels either have characters from Summer of Night as the main character or a supporting character as an adult.

The Relic
& The Reliquary, Riptide, Thunderhead, The Ice Limit- Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child
The Relic is probably their best-know work, having been made into a mediocre movie. But their body of work, with character-based technological thrillers is solid. Their later work is a series of novels that manages continue a storyline along drawing characters from all of their work.

The Dante Club - Matthew Pearl
A literary historical thriller in 19th century Boston about the club led by Wordsworth who hunt for a killer while translating Dante's Inferno.

Gorky Park - Martin Cruz Smith
Polar Star, Red Square, Havana Bay, Wolves Eat Dogs are subsequent Arkady Renko novels, but Gorky Park is the classic that started it all... Great thrillers!

Fatherland, Enigma, Archangel - Robert Harris
A great group of novels that are historical fiction or stories that are burried deep in history. Fatherland is a striking murder mystery that takes place in Berlin, but it's the Berlin that would've been had Germany won the war. Enigma's about the code-breakers in Bletchly Park. And Archangel, my favorite, takes place largely in the title city in Northern Russia, where political forces and a dark secret threaten to undermine democratic Russia. Pompeii was a solid effort as well, but I just don't put it on the same level as his first 3.

The Club Dumas
, The Flanders Panel, The Nautical Chart - Arturo Perez Reverte
Really, any of his novels are great. But I have to say these are my favorites, and probably have the best translations.

A Season for the Dead - David Hewson
The Villa of Mysteries & The Sacred Cut follow the same major character, an Italian detective, who manages to get in a load of trouble...

The Traveling Vampire Show - Richard Laymon
An underrated horror writer in the US who was big in Europe. This is his strongest story... A number of new novels have been released here since his death, and they're all enjoyable. But The Traveling Vampire Show is the best place to start. They're all quick reads, too.

Siberian Light - Robin White
A great story set in Siberia, mixing black market trading, oil and a main character's struggle with the loss of his wife.

The Raphael Affair
- Iain Pears
A strong novel, but more importantly the first in a great series of art mysteries that take place in Rome's art theft squad.

Kiss Me Judas - Will Christopher Baer
Another one that's difficult to describe in just a few words. It's a noir-ish thriller that is bizarre to no end.

I hope at least a few of these find their way to someone's summer reading lists.

Jul 15, 2006 at 10:55 PM Post #54 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini... Amazing book, you should all read it!

You aren't the first I've heard praise this book. I'll have to check it out soon.

Jul 15, 2006 at 11:03 PM Post #55 of 73
Once a Runner by John L. Parker.

Such an amazing book, epecially if you're into running.

Jul 16, 2006 at 5:55 AM Post #57 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
The Bible. Seriously, and I really don't mean this as a "religious" post. It's something that I've always wanted to do. To read it from beginning to end, cover to cover, to see if I "get it". So far I'm a little past the half way mark in the Old Testament, or 1/3rd of the way through the whole "project" (as I'm calling it). Pun intended, but it really is a good book. Interesting on many levels, and recommended.

In all honesty, I was thinking of doing the same thing. By no means am I religious, but I would also like to read it to see if I actually understand it.

Jul 16, 2006 at 6:40 AM Post #59 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe Logan
Reading a Tom Clancy book called: Cardinal of the Kremlin.

I am picking that book up later today. I just finished reading all my favorite Brian Jacques books. I loved redwall when I was younger. It is so good to pick them up and read again. Pearls of Lutra, Mossflower, Redwall, Martin the Warrior and Marlfox were are quickly devoured over the past 2 months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back