What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Nov 17, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #47,476 of 136,258
Chickenfoot - Soap on a Rope
Liquid Trio Experiment - Chris and Kevin's Bogus Journey
John Petrucci - Jaws of Life
Steve Vai - Bad Horsie

In the mood for prog rock lately :)

Nov 17, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #47,477 of 136,258
Funny, Ive listened to Mothership many many times and except for it being a handful of dB louder than the originals (not nearly as bad as many other "loudness war victims"), I hear no evidence of "extremely squashed" compression. Have you actually listened to it or are you simply looking at a spectrum in Audacity?

Of course I've listened to it, in fact I just compared a few versions of "Good Times Bad Times" before my post because I could hardly believe the love for Mothership. I didn't like it when it was released, and still don't. I'll agree it's not the worst remaster out there, but it's still very loud, and for me that means extremely squashed. Just a difference of opinion.

But on to the thread subject, right now got some Venus Luxure No.1 Baby by Girls Against Boys going round and sounding pretty nice, well that alternated with some football.

Nov 17, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #47,478 of 136,258

Of course I've listened to it, in fact I just compared a few versions of "Good Times Bad Times" before my post because I could hardly believe the love for Mothership. I didn't like it when it was released, and still don't. I'll agree it's not the worst remaster out there, but it's still very loud, and for me that means extremely squashed. Just a difference of opinion.

But on to the thread subject, right now got some Venus Luxure No.1 Baby by Girls Against Boys going round and sounding pretty nice, well that alternated with some football.

How do you define extremely squashed? Is it that how you refer to just the loudness difference to some other recording? Only asking as I still have them at hand and will try to get a better understanding of what you refer to.

Later edit: On the track mentioned "Good times Bad Times" the instrument separation is to my ears clearly better on Mothership. Example: Seconds roughly 9-10 percussion clearly contoured as opposed to older recording version where it's muddied in the background without as much presence. This is the same with all instruments after a careful listen: better imaging, instrument separation and extension. Also larger soundstage which to my ears is the opposite of what I would call "squashed". It's not a matter of loudness imo. 

Nov 17, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #47,479 of 136,258
Listening to Bruce Springsteen - Tunnel of Love / Album

After that,

The Dark Knight OST 
smile_phones.gif

Nov 17, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #47,480 of 136,258
Nov 17, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #47,481 of 136,258

It's the twisted cover art thats getting you isn't it?
biggrin.gif

Nov 17, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #47,483 of 136,258
  In a sense, but by god did you really have to quote all of that?

It's great to find these things on disc rather than the bootleg cassettes that I do have instead. Transition is "almost" there...

Slip of the keyboard:)

Nov 17, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #47,484 of 136,258

Nov 17, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #47,485 of 136,258

How do you define extremely squashed? Is it that how you refer to just the loudness difference to some other recording? Only asking as I still have them at hand and will try to get a better understanding of what you refer to.

Later edit: On the track mentioned "Good times Bad Times" the instrument separation is to my ears clearly better on Mothership. Example: Seconds roughly 9-10 percussion clearly contoured as opposed to older recording version where it's muddied in the background without as much presence. This is the same with all instruments after a careful listen: better imaging, instrument separation and extension. Also larger soundstage which to my ears is the opposite of what I would call "squashed". It's not a matter of loudness imo.

That was my sense as well as compared to 90 remaster.

I looked online and saw a range of opinions. From those like me who feel Mothership improved the sound-less grainy/muddy, and others that probably agree with Davey that it is louder/more treble with poorer dynamics giving the impression of greater clarity.

At the end of the day, it just sounds better to me than my 1990 reamster...but it's a subjective call. It sounds much more spacious and clear to me; less muddied as you state. Maybe that clarity equates with squashed.  I'm still learning the nuances...but does a little "louder" necessarily mean poor dynamics?

I know I'm not alone in my feeling that previous Zeppelin remastering is lacking.

Nov 17, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #47,486 of 136,258
Cool! I havent heard The Cult since their album "Electric," which is now a classic rock album I suppose.

I have Mothership and agree it sounds fantastic. I also have TSRTS on DVD and it sounds as bad as ever - even worse than the original albums...lol. I have their 2003 DVD set with concert footage from Royal Albert Hall, Madison Square Garden, and Knebworth. This set is superb - it was the Zeppelin I had ever heard until I got Celebration Day on BluRay.

Yeah-I saw Electric/Peace and picked it up knowing nothing about the Peace album. Apparently, after a little research, it looks like the Cult recorded an album before Electric produced by Steve Brown and then scrapped that project and hired Rick Rubin who recorded many of the same songs on the album that became Electric. They left the psychedelic hard rock alternative goth for a more air guitar clinch fisted sound-you can hear the difference in the two albums-Electric combines an AC/DC Zeppelinish sound with their post punk alternative rock sound. This release is pretty cool as it includes Electric and the preceding  Peace that electric morphed into w/ Rick Rubin. Six of the songs on Electric are on Peace with about 5 different tracks.

Electric sounds great all these years later-great hard alternative rock album.

Nov 17, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #47,488 of 136,258
Y
 Yeah-I saw Electric/Peace and picked it up knowing nothing about the Peace album. Apparently, after a little research, it looks like the Cult recorded an album before Electric produced by Steve Brown and then scrapped that project and hired Rick Rubin who recorded many of the same songs on the album that became Electric. They left the psychedelic hard rock alternative goth for a more air guitar clinch fisted sound-you can hear the difference in the two albums-Electric combines an AC/DC Zeppelinish sound with their post punk alternative rock sound. This release is pretty cool as it includes Electric and the preceding  Peace that electric morphed into w/ Rick Rubin. Six of the songs on Electric are on Peace with about 5 different tracks.

Electric sounds great all these years later-great hard alternative rock album.

Yes, and very good recording / production standards. Its still one of my best demo albums for percussion.

Nov 17, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #47,490 of 136,258
Well then...
I was doing some listening tests with this 24/48 album:

And upon analyzing the waveform in Audacity, I get this.
frown.gif

To the engineer..."Step slowly away from the mixing board...It does NOT go to 11..."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back