What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Nov 7, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #47,161 of 136,175
  I think that I'm going to listen to that right now as a matter of fact...

Just wondering, but when did you become Head-Fi's most active all-time poster? I thought krmathis still had that title.

Nov 7, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #47,162 of 136,175
  I guess I feel the same way. I like them all, but I have gone back to the first Dire Straits album most frequently as the years have passed. However, I have all of Mark Knopfler's solo albums and I tend listen to a couple of them ("Golden Heart,"  "Sailing To Philadelphia," Shrangri-La," "Kill To Get Crimson," "Ragpicker's Dream," and the new one "Privateering." I love "Privateering." Knopfler is still kicking it, that's for sure...) more than I listen to any Dire Straits album. 

"Sailing to Philadelphia" and "Shangri-La" are both superb, especially the former. "Kill to Get Crimson" I've grown to like more as time has gone on. "Privateering" I've yet to pick up because "Get Lucky" never really did it for me.

Nov 7, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #47,163 of 136,175
Sailing to Philadelphia is my favorite Knopfler-related album of all time, hands down.

Nov 7, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #47,164 of 136,175
  I'm not sure which one is my favorite Dire Straits album, the self-titled debut or Love Over Gold. Hard to say which one comes third, Making Movies perhaps although maybe Alchemy might be worth considering as well. Never cared all that much about Brothers in Arms; not that it's a bad album by any means.

I have not heard love over gold at all or any of the solo albums. I guess i have a lot of listening to do

Nov 7, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #47,166 of 136,175
"Sailing to Philadelphia" and "Shangri-La" are both superb, especially the former. "Kill to Get Crimson" I've grown to like more as time has gone on. "Privateering" I've yet to pick up because "Get Lucky" never really did it for me.

I really liked Get Lucky, particularly "So Far from the Clyde".... and the stories behind the songs that he put in the liner notes was a nice touch.

Nov 7, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #47,167 of 136,175

I really liked Get Lucky, particularly "So Far from the Clyde".... and the stories behind the songs that he put in the liner notes was a nice touch.

I really dig Get Lucky, I disliked it a lot when I first got it, but after repeated listens it has paid many dividends. I think many of Knopfler's albums are like this. Privateering is awesome, love Sailing to Philadelphia, and Shangri - La is fantastic too. I find that every time I listen to his music I find something new to appreciate.  The album he did with Emmylou Harris All the Roadrunning is great too.

Nov 7, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #47,169 of 136,175
  I'm not sure which one is my favorite Dire Straits album, the self-titled debut or Love Over Gold. Hard to say which one comes third, Making Movies perhaps although maybe Alchemy might be worth considering as well. Never cared all that much about Brothers in Arms; not that it's a bad album by any means.

Making Movies is one of my 10 favorite albums of all time.  "Romeo and Juliet" with the Steel guitar opening is so unique.  When I saw him in concert in 2008 that 1936/7 National Style O Steel Guitar was sitting front and center.  One of five Dire Straits songs he was still playing live on that tour.

Nov 7, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #47,170 of 136,175
Dire Straits of Mark Knopfler alone, it does not matter. I could listen to them all straight through and be perfectly happy.

Nov 7, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #47,172 of 136,175

One of my benchmarks for SQ. Such a good prog recording. Great vocal and drum recording for sure. 

Nov 7, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #47,173 of 136,175

Users who are viewing this thread

Back