What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Oct 23, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #46,741 of 136,232
Bob Seger & TSBB

Night Moves
[1976]

All Music reads:
Bob Seger recorded the bulk of Night Moves before Live Bullet brought him his first genuine success, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that it's similar in spirit to the introspective Beautiful Loser, even if it rocks harder and longer. Throughout much of the album, he's coming to grips with being on the other side of 30 and still rocking. He floats back in time, turning in high-school memories, remembering when wandering down "Mainstreet" was the highlight of an evening, covering a rockabilly favorite in "Mary Lou." Stylistically, there's not much change since Beautiful Loser, but the difference is that Seger and his Silver Bullet Band -- who turn in their first studio album here -- sound intense and ferocious, and the songs are subtly varied. Yes, this is all hard rock, but the acoustic ballads reveal the influence of Dylan and Van Morrison, filtered through a Midwestern sensibility, and the rockers reveal more of Seger's personality than ever. Seger may have been this consistent before (on Seven, for example), but the mood had never been as successfully varied, nor had his songwriting been as consistent, intimate, and personal. Thankfully, this was delivered to a mass audience eager for Seger, and it not only became a hit, but one of the universally acknowledged high points of late-'70s rock & roll. And, because of his passion and craft, it remains a thoroughly terrific record years later.

// And yes, I was sporting an ecru colored puka shell necklace at more than a few Seger shows in the mid 70's - long haired , wearing straight leg jeans and dancing in boots - good times -  "Funny how you remember"! And yes. Oh, I remember! ... I remember ;')

Oct 23, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #46,742 of 136,232
  Thanks for posting ^^ - I'm a big fan of Female Vocalists and have not heard of these guys / gals…….

Did you manage to listen to Ellen Allien at all?

Yeah!

It was pretty good indeed, but I couldent find any .flac or .wav so I dident really bother to look into it too much

Oct 23, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #46,743 of 136,232
Bummer!!

I bought some Modeselektor yesterday, but haven't had a chance to give it a solid listen just yet.

Oct 23, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #46,744 of 136,232

Oct 23, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #46,745 of 136,232
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Blood Sugar Sex Magik
AC/DC: High Voltage

with Clearaudio Concept (turntable) -> Clearaudio Smartphono (phonostage) -> Bryston BHA-1 -> LCD-3

and it's much much better and convincing to my ears than Amarra -> M2tech Hiface Evo -> Audio GD DAC-19 -> Bryston BHA-1 -> LCD-3 

I'm very surprised as this turntable was very so-so with my speaker system, but with the LCD-3 it's just a delight... Youpi!

Oct 23, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #46,747 of 136,232

Oct 23, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #46,749 of 136,232
Bob Seger & TSBB Night Moves [1976]
more than a few Seger shows in the mid 70's And yes. Oh, I remember! ... I remember

Seger has one of the most distinguished voices from the '70s, what great memories of that one song.
Back then it was my 1972 Two Door Ford LTD Brougham, a great make out vehicle.
Learned some girls were exhibitionists at heart, not my thing to go commando out in public but I followed along to a point.

Still laugh at my close friend, dated a girl who's fetish was to drive around naked, she talked him into joining her and got stopped by the cops with the tunes blasting away.
He quit when he found her to be a determined nudist, wandering out into her parents city backyard, expecting him to join in at the picnic table, sans clothing.

Seger, outdoors or in the car with your girl, it always queued up the right mood...

Oct 23, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #46,750 of 136,232
"The Ragpicker's Dream" - Mark Knopfler

The+Ragpickers+Dream+85.jpg

Oct 23, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #46,751 of 136,232
Seger has one of the most distinguished voices from the '70s, what great memories of that one song.
Back then it was my 1972 Two Door Ford LTD Brougham, a great make out vehicle.
Learned some girls were exhibitionists at heart, not my thing to go commando out in public but I followed along to a point.

Still laugh at my close friend, dated a girl who's fetish was to drive around naked, she talked him into joining her and got stopped by the cops with the tunes blasting away.
He quit when he found her to be a determined nudist, wandering out into her parents city backyard, expecting him to join in at the picnic table, sans clothing.

Seger, outdoors or in the car with your girl, it always queued up the right mood...

At the risk of going O.T. , let's just say I remember , albeit in my '72 MGB out the door and on the grass with Bob setting the tone in the summer time and once being interrupted with a knock on the steamed up side window while parking with the officer just checking that we were still O.K. , again with Bobby rocking out and turned up, as I remember !  Yep, Bobby always seemed to work like a charm ; Of course, I myself was charming (and lucky) too ! LOL

The clearaty , range and power to Seger's delivery of his rock balards , choice of piano and even horn all just hit me then as it does now to be a near perfect formula for being memorably a classic and unique confluance of style !

Hometown friend of mine tried his hand at operating "The Shirt Shack" and actually used Bob's "Down On Main Street" as back ground and closing their FM radio station advertisement spot , era 1978 , as I remember ;')

Indeed, one of the greater, articulate and unique voices in rock history , IMO - And yes, they sounded that good "Live" too !    

Oct 23, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #46,752 of 136,232
My friends got me onto The XX, it's kind of Indie/Alternative if a name had to be given to it. But I just love it, so good to chill too, such relaxing music. I also have gotten into Twenty One Pilots, the music can be energetic or more mellow, and the duo put so much of themselves into their music that it's something I can always come back to listen too

Oct 23, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #46,755 of 136,232
  Can anyone suggest good sting albums after the first 3? I dunno where to go after - "nothing like the sun"

I liked Sacred Love. I agree though they got a bit out there with some of them. Have you heard his new one yet? Any good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back