What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Oct 8, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #46,278 of 136,191
61To%2BSEBvdL._SY300_.jpg

Don't listen to a lot of Death/Doom....

Bereft-Death/Doom super group-fantastic IMO (2012)

61Sm-3OkxoL.jpg

Torche-Harmonicraft (2012)

81LZf8n%2BnnL._SL1400_.jpg

Pig Destroyer  Book Burner (2012)-vicious and awesome!

41y0hECOVnL.jpg

Van Halen II (78)....kind of speaks for itself
darthsmile.gif

Oct 8, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #46,281 of 136,191

Welcome to the world of Prokofiev!

Those violin concerti are extraordinary.

Next, check out the piano concerti, 1st and 5th Symphonies, the ballets Cinderalla (TOPS) and Romeo and Juliet (maybe the greatest).  There's more but that's enough for now.
smile.gif

You will enjoy the journey.

Sadly the only store in my city that has a classical section worth calling such doesn't apart from a couple CDs really have any Prokofiev. They even recently moved to smaller business premises and cut their classical selection practically in half, which is a bummer. I'll have to try doing some research at some point and order something online I guess. I really liked at least the three violin works on the Janine Jansen album. They didn't suffer from problems I often have with pre-20th century classical nor the issues I sometimes have with more modern classical compositions.

Now listening to this.

Cult of Luna - Vertikal II

Oct 8, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #46,282 of 136,191
Led Zeppelin IV
[1971]

Out of eight cuts, there isn't one that steps on another's toes, that tries to do too much all at once. There are Olde Englishe ballads ("The Battle of Evermore" with a lovely performance by Sandy Denny), a kind of pseudo-blues just to keep in touch ("Four Sticks"), a pair of authentic Zeppelinania ("Black Dog" and "Misty Mountain Hop"), some stuff that I might actually call shy and poetic if it didn't carry itself off so well ("Stairway to Heaven" and "Going To California") ...
... and a couple of songs that when all is said and done, will probably be right up there in the gold-starred hierarchy of put 'em on and play 'em again. The first, coyly titled "Rock And Roll," is the Zeppelin's slightly-late attempt at tribute to the mother of us all, but here it's definitely a case of better late than never. This sonuvabitch moves, with Plant musing vocally on how "It's been a long, lonely lonely time" since last he rock & rolled, the rhythm section soaring underneath. Page strides up to take a nice lead during the break, one of the all-too-few times he flashes his guitar prowess during the record, and its note-for-note simplicity says a lot for the ways in which he's come of age over the past couple of years.
The end of the album is saved for "When The Levee Breaks," strangely credited to all the members of the band plus Memphis Minnie, and it's a dazzler. Basing themselves around one honey of a chord progression, the group constructs an air of tunnel-long depth, full of stunning resolves and a majesty that sets up as a perfect climax.

Oct 8, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #46,283 of 136,191

11am / Elgar & Carter Cello Concertos - Alisa Weilerstein, Staatskapelle Berlin, Daniel Barenboim
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

12:45pm / Mastodon - The Hunter (Deluxe)
NOTE: The transition from cello concerto to punch-me-in-the-face was delightfully jarring
beyersmile.png
A welcome jolt as my AM espresso injection begins to ebb...

2:30pm / Scorpion Child (Epon.)

Oct 8, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #46,284 of 136,191
I just picked this up:

ripped it in ALAC and am giving it a first listen right now.

EDIT: It is quite good, and the new drummer is damn good.

Oct 8, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #46,286 of 136,191
  Cool, if you like violin and Prokofiev, you might want to check out Sayaka Shoji on youtube..

I really enjoyed that

Oct 8, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #46,288 of 136,191
  11am / Elgar & Carter Cello Concertos - Alisa Weilerstein, Staatskapelle Berlin, Daniel Barenboim

12:45pm / Mastodon - The Hunter (Deluxe)
NOTE: The transition from cello concerto to punch-me-in-the-face was delightfully jarring
beyersmile.png
A welcome jolt as my AM espresso injection begins to ebb...

I've always immensely enjoyed the combination of modern classical followed by black metal or vice versa.

Oct 8, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #46,289 of 136,191

I've always immensely enjoyed the combination of modern classical followed by black metal or vice versa.

An enjoyable juxtaposition to be sure
wink_face.gif

Side note on the Mastodon play through - their sound signature DESTROYS (in a good way!) in these D5ks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back