What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Oct 7, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #46,261 of 137,333

Janine Jansen - Prokofiev​

The first violin player I ever liked and still my favorite. She might not be the most technically astonishing player on the planet even if I find nothing wrong with her playing, but technical prowess has never meant anything to me during the time I've been a listener of music. Ability to convey thoughts and emotions as well as the essence of a piece of music trumps mere ability to play notes with precision and control in my book every time. Janine Jansen's playing has always had personality – something I often fail to hear in other people's playing.

I've had this particular disc for a couple of months now, but only decided to finally open and rip it today. As I type this I've only heard most of the 2nd violin concerto, but based on that I somehow get an impression her playing has matured from her previous recordings. Violin has been my favorite classical instrument as long as I've been listening to classical music and violin concertos have always been my favorite form of composition in the genre. I believe this is my first time hearing anything composed by Prokofiev, but based on hearing the 2nd violin concerto I would say it has to be one of the best concertos I've heard so far. It is a piece I will certainly want to come back to.

Time and time again I hear audiophiles call classical music the genre where you will find the absolute best sounding recordings ever made. Currently owning only somewhere between a hundred and two hundred classical recordings by my rough estimate and only having listened to the genre actively for perhaps half a decade, I would consider myself still an almost complete scrub when it comes to the genre, but based on my experience very few classical recordings actually appeal to me sonically. If all the audiophiles are talking about the recordings being tonally faithful to the instruments that might be true (I wouldn't know), but as a recording of sound I've found only a small percentage of classical recordings to fall under what I'd call "sonically impressive". Perhaps the standards by which I evaluate sound are simply radically different from the vast majority of people out there.

To get to the point which evoked what I just said, this disc at least on my Grados sounds absolute superb. Recorded exactly the way I would expect all classical music to be recorded (and produced), but however isn't a lot of the time. Based on what I've heard so far this might be one of the best discs I've heard so far from Janine Jansen, both musically and sonically, and I would recommend it most highly.

Welcome to the world of Prokofiev!

Those violin concerti are extraordinary.

Next, check out the piano concerti, 1st and 5th Symphonies, the ballets Cinderalla (TOPS) and Romeo and Juliet (maybe the greatest).  There's more but that's enough for now.
smile.gif

You will enjoy the journey.

Oct 7, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #46,263 of 137,333
OH YEA - great T1/WA2 album, what a track

Oct 8, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #46,269 of 137,333
None of the goodie oldies. This was when they decided to jump the shark and change things up. Not the best reaction.

I have Chairs Missing up next on the playlist queue, no Pink Flag (yet)

Oct 8, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #46,270 of 137,333
  None of the goodie oldies. This was when they decided to jump the shark and change things up. Not the best reaction.

I have Chairs Missing up next on the playlist queue, no Pink Flag (yet)

Thats okay they are probably living of the settlement they got from Damon Albarn.

Oct 8, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #46,271 of 137,333
If you call that living.

Ah that's why I heard a bit of Song 2 in Blurred Lines. They've managed to insert that in everything. The beige sweater of the music industry.

Oct 8, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #46,272 of 137,333
  If you call that living.

Ah that's why I heard a bit of Song 2 in Blurred Lines. They've managed to insert that in everything. The beige sweater of the music industry.

If you call that living.

Gotta do something to pay off Wire pagarisms a beach.

Speaking of beige sweaters, I never actually made the connection that the into to How Soon is Now is actually Bo Diddley with reverb.

Oct 8, 2013 at 4:41 AM Post #46,274 of 137,333
In promulgating your esoteric cogitations and articulating your superficial sentimentalities, amicable, philosophical and psychological observations,
beware of platitudinous ponderosities. Are we really the Dream Police?

Yeah, that brings back memories. I saw Cheap Trick in concert on New Years eve one year (don't remember which). They played just short of 1 hour, and left the stage an hour before midnight, without even a single encore. Boy was that audience pissed off. And the t-shirt I bought, shrank and became unwearable. So yeah, they surely deserve their name.

The best musician in Cheap Trick is Bun E. Carlos. He is absolutely spot on, and has one of the most solid, unfailing beats I've ever heard. You could set your watch by him. He was not the flashiest drummer, he was surely one of the most accurate drummers I've ever heard. He just never made a mistake. Never. I honestly wish he had played for a better band.

Oct 8, 2013 at 4:42 AM Post #46,275 of 137,333

​
Janine Jansen - Prokofiev​

The first violin player I ever liked and still my favorite. She might not be the most technically astonishing player on the planet even if I find nothing wrong with her playing, but technical prowess has never meant anything to me during the time I've been a listener of music. Ability to convey thoughts and emotions as well as the essence of a piece of music trumps mere ability to play notes with precision and control in my book every time. Janine Jansen's playing has always had personality – something I often fail to hear in other people's playing.

I've had this particular disc for a couple of months now, but only decided to finally open and rip it today. As I type this I've only heard most of the 2nd violin concerto, but based on that I somehow get an impression her playing has matured from her previous recordings. Violin has been my favorite classical instrument as long as I've been listening to classical music and violin concertos have always been my favorite form of composition in the genre. I believe this is my first time hearing anything composed by Prokofiev, but based on hearing the 2nd violin concerto I would say it has to be one of the best concertos I've heard so far. It is a piece I will certainly want to come back to.

Time and time again I hear audiophiles call classical music the genre where you will find the absolute best sounding recordings ever made. Currently owning only somewhere between a hundred and two hundred classical recordings by my rough estimate and only having listened to the genre actively for perhaps half a decade, I would consider myself still an almost complete scrub when it comes to the genre, but based on my experience very few classical recordings actually appeal to me sonically. If all the audiophiles are talking about the recordings being tonally faithful to the instruments that might be true (I wouldn't know), but as a recording of sound I've found only a small percentage of classical recordings to fall under what I'd call "sonically impressive". Perhaps the standards by which I evaluate sound are simply radically different from the vast majority of people out there.

To get to the point which evoked what I just said, this disc at least on my Grados sounds absolute superb. Recorded exactly the way I would expect all classical music to be recorded (and produced), but however isn't a lot of the time. Based on what I've heard so far this might be one of the best discs I've heard so far from Janine Jansen, both musically and sonically, and I would recommend it most highly.

Cool, if you like violin and Prokofiev, you might want to check out Sayaka Shoji on youtube..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back