What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Sep 18, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #45,557 of 136,318

The Clash - Sound System Box Set (2013)

They got the remastering right. Replacing my digital copies of all Clash albums through 'Combat Rock' with these versions plus all the extras.

End game for Clash fans listening to digital. It's never going to get any better than this.

Sep 18, 2013 at 6:31 AM Post #45,560 of 136,318

エレキ (ELEKI) - Robot Rock / The Rockafeller Skank / Last Christmas / Snow Light / NEXT ON YOU / EMAIL

Sep 18, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #45,562 of 136,318

atsmile.gif

Sep 18, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #45,565 of 136,318

Pearl 

[Original Recording

Remastered, Extra Tracks]

[1970 / 1999]

Janis Joplin

By booknblueslady
Format:Audio CD
I remember the awe and the sorrow I felt when I bought my first copy of Pearl in the early days of 1971. So much unleashed potential evaporated by the flame, that it seem to haunt the room as I placed the needle to the vinyl to hear the first words "You say that it's over." The good time girl from Port Arthur, Texas whose voice tore at your heart like a ball and chain would sing no longer.

Janis Joplin was just 27 years old when she died in October of 1970. She had put together a band , Full Tilt Boogie, which would dispense with the endless jams and showcase her voice and her talent in a way that wasn't done by Big Brother. Janis was in the midst of recording Pearl with her vocals tracks for Buried Alive in the Blues scheduled to be recorded the day after her death. Instead Buried Alive in the Blues rests on the album as instrumental filler, a lonely commentary of her life.

Pearl is a truly extraordinary album which displays is the range and emotions which Janis' voice was capable of. It was to be a bridge to better things instead of the lasting musical landmark that it is. Janis Joplin's voice stretches from gentle and tender in a Woman that's Lonely to pained and sorrowful in Cry Baby to amused in Mercedes Benz.

In the days of freedom and loss, Janis Joplin sang Kristofferson's song of freedom and loss with an intense sincerity and pain projected from her depths. Countless numbers sang along with her "Freedom's just another name , for nothing left to lose," knowing full well that there was indeed something more to lose.

I still sing her wonderful original song "Mercedes Benz" to my roses while I garden. There is such a simplicity attached with the great American wish of striking it rich. It remains a reminder of her great humor and sense of irony as well as her incredible talent.

Pearl continues to be a cd which showcases a wonderful voice and talent.

Sep 18, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #45,567 of 136,318

The Eagles - Hell Freezes Over

FLAC-ripped from a CD in my dad's collection.
Listening to a live album sounds better than the studio recording, in many ways. 
Hotel California is simply an amazing track.

+1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back