What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Sep 5, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #45,181 of 137,375
I cant remember who posted this but i filly got around to listening to it, this is my favourite track on the album. It is a great song!

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #45,182 of 137,375
71CD3t9Ib4L._SL1500_.jpg

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #45,183 of 137,375
  I cant remember who posted this but i filly got around to listening to it, this is my favourite track on the album. It is a great song!

That was me.....Great song!

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #45,184 of 137,375
Sep 6, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #45,190 of 137,375

Charles Gayle, William Parker & Rashied Ali - Touchin' on Trane

This has been one of my favorite free jazz records ever since I heard the first few seconds of it. I'm not sure if such free jazz exists that would be appropriate to be called accessible, but to some extent I do feel that that applies to this album, at least in my personal opinion. I find this album to not concentrate around showing off virtuosity or trying to make as much sound as possible. Admittedly this album still probably sounds like noise to a lot of people, but the only things I hear in the music are pure joy and wild desire to express one's thoughts and emotions through sound and raw energy, slathered with what I feel is simply humor brought on by having a good time. This album also has some of the best, if somewhat aggravated, liner notes I've ever read. I'm not sure if I agree with everything that is said in them, but they certainly are a pretty good essay on the (then) current state of jazz.

Also, it is impossible to get over how incredible drummer Rashied Ali is. I mean, seriously.

I've now moved on to listening to the Tokyo Bliss podcasts which you can subscribe to for free on iTunes Store for an hour of seriously high-quality electronic music every month compiled by one of the many artists who are part of the Japan-based electronic music label Otographic Music.

Enjoying a first listen of two remixes M|O|O|N provided a free download link to in a newsletter today before I go to bed. He is releasing them (in newly mixed form) as a double A side 45rpm 12" in about a month's time once the discs arrive from the factory. Not sure if I like the tracks quite enough to order the vinyl but these sure are some really nice remixes.

https://soundcloud.com/wrongisland/sets/communication-1

Sep 6, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #45,195 of 137,375
Tina Guo

"The Journey"

Tina Guo's 2011 release, The Journey, is a crossover album of a few familiar classical selections and a majority of original pieces by the cellist herself.
The Introduction and Polonaise Brillante by Frédéric Chopin, Le grand tango by Astor Piazzolla, and the Flight of the Bumblebee by Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov (retitled and rearranged here as an electrified rock version, Queen Bee) are the most immediately recognizable, and Guo's performances are flexible and free, in keeping with her dynamic and changeable persona.

The lion's share of the program is devoted to her own music, and the tracks Winter Star (with an alternate arrangement, Winter Starlight), The Awakening, Lacrimosa, Sunlight, The Journey Home, and Forbidden City all have lavish production and an expansive, nearly cosmic feeling, merging elements of classical, adult contemporary, and world music into tableaux that set dreamy moods, rather than focus on Guo's technique.

Washes and sprays of sound blend with ethereal choirs and synthesizers to produce atmospheric, new age backdrops for Guo's plaintive melodies, and the bombastic drama of the heavy Forbidden City and brazenly metallic Queen Bee might seem like a throwback to the glory days of progressive rock.

In any event, this album is not intended for classical purists but a broader audience, and if playing with a wide range of styles is a risk, it is a calculated one that may pay off for this chameleon-like cellist.

/ Dream Theater backing band ? ...j/k

// Thanx, Silent One on the recommendation ...
smileys.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back