What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Feb 12, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #39,466 of 136,221

Circus-P - Lucid (Deluxe Edition)

Listening to this at the moment. I bought the album today after finding out that Circus-P sells his music on Bandcamp. Also learned that he is American, which was a bit of a surprise.

Feb 12, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #39,467 of 136,221
To an extent I agree but for an artist as talented as Maynard Keenan to do something like a note for note 'cover' of the song just speaks to how amazing the original is. 

Did you read the interview at all? He's not trying to 'better' it. He's just paying homage to the song. I honestly think that making changes to the song is more insulting than recording something like this as I feel it almost implies they think the original could be bettered in some way...which it can't.

So you lowered the key? 
No, we kept it where it was. There's something about it, in that key, that resonates on almost a molecular level. We wanted to stay right there.

Has Freddie Mercury always been an inspiration to you? 
Absolutely. Not so much the tights, but definitely the vocals.

Why have you wanted to cover that for so long? 
From a production standpoint, it's wonderful exercise of recording the layers to really see what went into making it. I have a lot more respect for the original artists. I enjoyed seeing how they approached their signature vocal arrangement. It was very inspirational.

Did it mean a lot to you when it first came out? 
Yeah. It was a fun song back then. It was so different from anything else you were hearing on the radio. It was the cornerstone of a childhood.

The rest is better, IMO. The rest is more original. I love the Balls to the Wall cover. 

Quote:

I just listened to that cover of "Bohemian Rhapsody." I must say, it's exactly what I thought it would be, which is a useless exercise. I just don't see the wisdom of trying to cover that song. I mean, what is an artist going to add to that song? How is an artist going to "improve" on the Queen version? Unless an artist has something new to bring to the song, then why bother covering it at all? That Puscifer cover sounds like someone just trying to prove to themselves that they could cover it. I'm sure it took a lot of work, but to my ears, it's worthless. It's just a note-for-note attempt to replicate the original that brings absolutely nothing new to the song. To me, it just ends up sounding like a weaker version of the original and it's got absolutely nothing new or creative about it. Why would someone waste what was probably a lot of time recording that?

Feb 12, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #39,468 of 136,221
I just don't see why anyone would want to listen to that cover. It just sounds like someone straining to get as close as possible to the original, and ultimately just proving that his band can't sing as well as Queen. What's the point? Paying homage by proving that he is unable to do an exact duplicate no matter how hard he works at it?

Feb 12, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #39,469 of 136,221
I guess you just can't appreciate slight variation in an effort to pay homage to an idol.

When you listen to a song for 20+ years even a slight difference is welcome every now and then. 

Regardless...there are other things on the EP than just that. No band puts out good every time.

Quote:
I just don't see why anyone would want to listen to that cover. It just sounds like someone straining to get as close as possible to the original, and ultimately just proving that his band can't sing as well as Queen. What's the point? Paying homage by proving that he is unable to do an exact duplicate no matter how hard he works at it?

Feb 12, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #39,474 of 136,221
Having fun w/ my new CD player thru my old Pioneer and luvinit....mixing things up:

To enjoy the fidelity-had to throw down some Matheny

51WsWMNmf-L._SX300_.jpg

Diana Krall

and some Floyd:

Classic Sabbath:

And a little Black Metal, baby: Ash Borer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back