What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Aug 2, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #34,396 of 136,051
Byrds: "Younger than Yesterday" [Remastered] (1967/1996)

byrds_-_younger_than_yesterday_-_back.jpg

Aug 2, 2012 at 8:17 AM Post #34,403 of 136,051
Just got home from work and relaxing with Kansas 

Aug 2, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #34,404 of 136,051
Mapleshade Records

12132.jpg

THE BLUE RIDER TRIO:
Early Morning Blues
“The fact that one of the best acoustic blues albums of the year comes from three white boys from Maryland might surprise you—that is, until you realize that it’s the return of the Blue Rider Trio, who kicked up a lot of **** out of nowhere with their 1992 release Preachin’ the Blues...” raves Blues Revue. That out-of-print debut became a treasure among both hard-core blues fans and audiophile connoisseurs. Early Morning Blues joins this collectors’ jewel with the Trio’s final and arguably best album. On that last session, Ben Andrew’s voice and wailing guitar have gained a seared-by-life bluesiness; Mark Wenner’s moaning harmonica cuts even deeper; and Jeff Sarli’s slap bass adds layers of subtlety to his knock-you-down drive. The rich vocal detail, intense dynamics, and three-dimensional overtones add extra excitement and authenticity to this tasty collection of Chicago, Delta, and Texas acoustic blues. The Absolute Sound was unambiguous: “This is as close to live as I’ve heard a recorded trio get...I dare you not to fall in love with this uniquely American music and this firecracker performance.”(#12132)
Ben Andrews, Vocals & Guitar
Jeff Sarli, Bass
Mark Wenner, Harmonica

TRACK LISTING:
  DISC 1: Preachin' The Blues
Preachin’ Blues (E.House) 4:19
Stomp Down Rider (W.McTell) 4:40 - Listen to Full Song
Gallow’s Pole (traditional) 4:30 - Listen to Sample
Blue Goose Blues (J.Thomas) 2:55
Early Morning Blues (A.Blake) 5:03 - Listen to Sample
Cincinnati Rag (W.McTell) 4:00
Payday (J.Hurt) 6:15
Walkin’ Blues (E.House) 3:30
Georgia Rag (W.McTell) 2:48
Freight Train Boogie (B.Andrews) 3:45
Statesboro Blues (W.McTell) 3:55
She Don’t Do Me Wrong (B.Andrews) 4:25

DISC 2: Harp, Steel & Guts
Salty Dog Blues (C.Jackson) 2:43
Easy Rider (B.Andrews) 4:02 - listen to full song
The Last Fair Deal Goin’ Down (R.Johnson) 3:43 - listen to sample
Death (Don’t) Have No Mercy (G.Davis) 4:22
Ride Till I Die (J.Hooker) 4:29
Make Me Down A Pallet* (traditional) 3:34
Black Betty (H.Ledbetter) 3:05 - listen to sample
Stackolee (traditional) 4:10
Kokomo Blues (K.Arnold) 2:48
Silver City Bound (H.Ledbetter) 3:51
Long Tall Momma (W.Bronzy) 2:26
CC Rider (traditional) 2:47
Diddie Wah Diddie (A.Blake) 2:49

/ My personal introduction to the harmonica and it's hauntingly beautiful soulfulness was in Army Basic Training Fort Dix N.J. 1971 , where/when our platoon Sgt. would have/order a fellow trainee (from TX. iirc), play a few tunes as we huddled under our pancho's knee deep in raining water and mud (in one instance, seared into my musical memory now), along with the co-mingling smell of sweat and rubber of our O.D. green ponchos , allowing for moments of soothing comfort, excapism and peace as we rested for ten minutes , prefixed with the call to "Fall Out, Smoke 'em if you got 'em". Yes, a peak musical memory to this listener of the harmonica played now, and how it is perhaps from some such experiences that music has a deeper pull and effect upon certain listeners who gravitate to the audiophile reproduction experience, here and now .

Happy listenings ~  

Aug 2, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #34,406 of 136,051

Users who are viewing this thread

Back