What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Jul 25, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #34,309 of 136,203
Too bad it's horrendously compressed and limited. Super unfortunate.

Quote:

too bad it doesn't sound as good as the original...

Jul 25, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #34,310 of 136,203
Louis Armstrong - What A Wonderful World
(Spoken Intro Version) 1970

Pops got a thing or two to say to some younger folks (and of course, to his own generation) ;')

Think: Love ...

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #34,311 of 136,203
Quote:

That album holds such a special place in my heart. It was released on June 9, 1978. I went to see the Stones for the first time just a few days later on June 17, 1978, at JFK Stadium in Philadelphia. All of those songs were brand new to me and everyone else when I got to see them play them live. For that concert, they had "festival seating," meaning no reserved seats. (This was before all those people were trampled to death at The Who concert in Cincinnati in 1979.) People had been waiting outside the stadium for about a week in advance of the show as that was the best way to get close to the stage. Just try to imagine the condition of thousands of Stones fans who had been living and partying in a parking lot for about a week in 1978! There was a full-scale riot before the show as mounted police attacked the crowd waiting to get in, and I was right in the middle of it! 
eek.gif
 It was an unforgettable experience to say the least!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rolling_Stones_US_Tour_1978

How about that, here's my Dad's tickets from that classic show. Small world.

"We drove down to Philly in the morning and drove back that night. My biggest memory is how many people got so loaded and passed out before the Stones even took the stage. Imagine missing the whole show passed out in the mud. At least that's what I remember, but I may have been a little loaded myself. I should still have the ticket stubs."

"The fans were very rude to Peter Tosh. They suffered through Foreigner, and wanted the Stones (who were probably late anyway). We probably left immediately after the show to beat the crowd. That's probably why I don't remember any violence."

Here is a review of the Philly concert, the whole article is 17 pages:
http://www.iorr.org/talk/read.php?2,1319315,1319330

Jul 26, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #34,312 of 136,203
Quote:

How about that, here's my Dad's tickets from that classic show. Small world.

"We drove down to Philly in the morning and drove back that night. My biggest memory is how many people got so loaded and passed out before the Stones even took the stage. Imagine missing the whole show passed out in the mud. At least that's what I remember, but I may have been a little loaded myself. I should still have the ticket stubs."

"The fans were very rude to Peter Tosh. They suffered through Foreigner, and wanted the Stones (who were probably late anyway). We probably left immediately after the show to beat the crowd. That's probably why I don't remember any violence."

Here is a review of the Philly concert, the whole article is 17 pages:
http://www.iorr.org/talk/read.php?2,1319315,1319330

Wow! That is awesome that you found them! 
biggrin.gif
 That is great to see the tickets! I'm pretty sure that I do not have my ticket. My little sister went to that show with me, so we have reminisced about that concert many times over the years. I'm going to email her the photo of the tickets.

I wanted to see the Stones on the '75 tour, but I was too young so I wasn't able to go. I had to wait until that show '78.

Another thing I remember is the weather. It was not good that day. It was overcast and threatening rain and unusually cold. We had failed to prepare properly for the weather. We were sitting on the ground in the infield area, and there were some older fans sitting nearby who saw that we were just some freezing cold kids. They gave us some blankets which really saved us.

I've always been a Stones fan since then and I eventually went to see them five more times starting with two days in a row in Dallas in '81. Those two shows were both fantastic. One of the days it was hot and sunny and beautiful. The other day there was just a torrential downpour. It was a regular Texas "frog-strangler" thunderstorm. I've never seen a band play in such a driving rain. When the weather started threatening, Mick Jagger kind of implored the rock 'n roll gods not to let it rain. He had absolutely no success. The skies just opened up and it was just pouring while they were playing. After a few minutes the Stones realized it wasn't going to let up and it was like they took it as a challenge to just keep rockin'. I feared they'd all be electrocuted, but they just kept playing no matter how hard it rained. Bill Wyman, who was never one to move around much, had on a fancy suit. He kind of planted himself back by Charlie Watts' drum kit because it was partially shielded by the stage set-up. The other guys were running around out in the rain. When it came time for band introductions, Mick took great pleasure in going back and getting Bill Wyman from his shelter and dragging him up to the front of the stage and out in the rain. Many years later someone asked Bill Wyman about what were some of his most memorable Stones shows, and he mentioned that one in Dallas in '81 in the rain!

Thanks a lot for posting those tickets! It really brings back the memories! Wow, I can't believe it was 34 years ago! 

Jul 26, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #34,317 of 136,203
Jul 26, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #34,318 of 136,203
02352.gif

BIG JOE MAHER & JEFF SARLI with BIG BLUE:
Mojo
Do you dig mellow '60s rhythm and blues grooves like Percy Mayfield or T-Bone? If so, Big Joe and his band will be right up your alley. Joe's a natural-born blues singer, as irresistibly laid back as Albert King. The band's got that Hammond organ groove down. The two saxes are raunchy and raw; the electric guitar moans and wails. Stereophile says "...such a cool disc...equal parts barrel-house jump-band and smooth swing...big, big sound." Highly recommended as one of the best-sounding blues/R&B discs ever, according to blues star Bob Margolin. (#02352)
Joe Maher, vocals, drums
Jeff Sarli, upright bass
Rusty Bogart, electric guitar
Bob Willoughby, piano
Phil Stancil, B-3 organ, piano
Chris Watling, bari sax
Jerry Queene, tenor sax

TRACK LISTING:
GOT MY MOJO WORKIN' (Muddy Waters) - Listen to Sample
WHO WILL THE NEXT FOOL BE? (Charlie Rich)
HEARTBREAKER (Ertegun and Charles)
IN THE DARK (Aaron "T-Bone" Walker)
VODKA ON THE ROCKS (Maher, Sarli, Bryant, Watling and Queene) - Listen to Sample
HARD LIVIN' ALONE (Floyd Dixon)
WHEN DID YOU LEAVE HEAVEN? (Percy Mayfield) - Listen to Full Song
PONYTAIL (Aaron "T-Bone" Walker)
TROUBLE IN MIND* (traditional)
WINGS 'N THINGS (Edward K. Ellington)
I DARE YOU, BABY (Percy Mayfield)
GOODBYE, BABY* (Big Joe Turner)
  *Bob Willoughby-Piano

REVIEWS:
Blues Review:
from the column Steady Rollin' by Bob Margolin
I'm excited that the relatively esoteric worlds of high-end audio recording and blues are meeting and getting along so well...you can enjoy the efforts of some of the "audiophile purist" releases that are starting to show up in the blues world. They sound beautiful and real on all but the cheapest boom-box or car stereo. One album that particularly impressed me recently is Mojo (Wildchild!/Mapleshade 02352) by Big Joe Maher and Jeff Sarli and Big Blue, a powerful performance recorded with stunning clarity and space. It's a feast for the soul, and candy for the ears.
February/March 1996
mapleshade_line.jpg

Stereophile:
from QuarterNotes by Wes Phillips
Mojo is such a cool disc, I can't stand it. Big Joe, a drummer and singer, and Jeff Sarli, a swingin' string-bass player, have put together a band that's equal parts barrel-house jump-band and smooth swing band. The result will get you up off your butt „ if you've still got a pulse, that is. And bottom? Man, does this disc got bottom! Drive and air „ you can hear the walls bulging as they try to contain this big, big sound „ with a fat-back bottom. Did I mention that? This one may not grow hair (didn't on me anyway), but it'll definitely trim 10 years off your age.
June 1995
mapleshade_line.jpg

The Washington Post :
reviewed by Mike Joyce
WHADAYA KNOW? Big Joe in slo-mo. Big Joe Maher, that is. On his new release, Mojo, the area drummer best known for leading the Dynaflows and shouting out electric blues and jump tunes takes a decidedly more relaxed view of the blues. Listening to the opening (and title) track for a few seconds is all it takes to confirm that this session's atmosphere and pacing has more to do with Percy Mayfield's laconic balladry than Big Joe Turner's barroom barking.
As it turns out, songs by both Mayfield and Turner are on the album, along with tunes by Charlie Rich, Ray Charles and Floyd Dixon, and in each case Maher handles them in an easy, soulful stride. T-Bone Walker's riff-based Ponytail and the Duke Ellington sax-and-organ-powered instrumental Wings ïN Things help enliven things, but some of the album's best moments come when the mood is mellow, the music spare and Maher is quietly tending to his battered heart on Rich's Who Will The Next Fool Be? and Walker's In The Dark.
Bassist and producer Jeff Sarli is responsible for the album's uncluttered, understated charm. (Maher's longtime rhythm section partner Sarli conceived the project and enjoys costar status.) Sarli has assembled a strong cast that includes keyboardists Bob Willoughby and Phil Stancil, guitarist Rusty Bogard and saxophonists Chris Watling and Jerry Queene.
December 23, 1994

Users who are viewing this thread

Back