What Are You Listening To Right Now?
May 17, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #26,150 of 136,152
Never heard of Dorothy Ashby before now. I was just cruising the jazz section looking for something new and different to groove to when the title "Afro-Harping" caught my eye. It was the only one in the bin, still sealed, and reasonably priced at $12.99. I figured it was worth a listen. I trust my gut and I usually have good luck when blind-buying. Listening to this disc right now and I'm totally blown away. Incredible music. The harp is definitely not the first instrument that comes to mind when you think of a traditional lead jazz instrument, but oh how lovely yet funky it sounds! Doing some research on it I discovered that the original LP is a rare hidden gem of a recording. A shame it's not more well known, but sort of cool that it's not at the same time. You certainly don't need to be a jazz head to enjoy it. CD is a 96 khz 24 bit digital transfer and can be found for cheap. Highly recommended.

Dorothy Ashby - Afro-Harping (CD)

Also listening to...

Earth Wind & Fire - All 'N All (CD)

May 17, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #26,151 of 136,152
Past Life Martyred Saints
Ema
New release - excellent alternative music.

Quote:
From Pitchfork: Erika M. Anderson emerges from the ashes of her former project Gowns with an unsettlingly beautiful collection of songs about pain and loss. There's a lack of timidity in the way this music is expressed. It's almost as though Anderson snoozed her way through the past decade and is picking up threads that have mostly lain dormant since the early-to-mid 1990s. The boldness in her language thematically pings back and forth between emotional and physical duress, and for the most part, it's a white-knuckle ride. There's no pretense or pose here. No pulling back from the brink to foster an air of cool detachment. Anderson's music has the power to plummet to the depths and drag you right down there with her.

May 18, 2011 at 6:37 AM Post #26,156 of 136,152

Quote:
My wife's in surgery right now and I'm in the waiting room listening to "Only An Expert" by Laurie Anderson

I trust the 'experts' were on their game yesterday Doug...Best Wishes

From the sacred...

J.S. Bach
Mass in B Minor
Collegium Vocale Gent

19:30, Friday May 13th 2011
St. John's, Smith Square, London
BBC Radio3 [HD]

...to the profane

Weedeater
April 27 2011 Hafenklang Hamburg Germany

"Untied we stand