What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Dec 14, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #22,713 of 136,152

Quote:
This new daft punk album rocks!!!

can,t wait to see tron after listening to this :)

I can also attest to the awesomeness of this soundtrack. I would go listen to it now but my right ear is plugged and I don't want to deal with the frustration of not listening to music properly.

Dec 14, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #22,717 of 136,152

'Euphonic Sounds' - Reginald R. Robinson

This is ragtime treated as if it were something other than a museum piece. Robinson is a (relatively) young guy, playing Joplin and other ragtime composers and his own stuff. Quietly wonderful.

Dec 14, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #22,720 of 136,152
Dec 14, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #22,721 of 136,152
GRANT GREEN------"SOLID",............Blue Note 45 rpm reissue Series (Limited Edit.) You VINYL GUYS owe it to yourselves to pick a copy of this LP up.....JAZZ and unreal recording! Not Actual LP Cover...  

Dec 14, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #22,724 of 136,152
I got nothing with this in my own thread... Here's what I have been listening to:

Pinkerton album by Weezer: Weezer is probably the one band I would listen to for the rest of my life if I had to. I just wish they had a little less “reverbiness” on their guitar, because it kind of muddies up their sound IMHO. It’s probably just my source etc. I wish they did a style more like the end of “Unspoken” from Hurley which I think is one of their worst albums as a whole, but I like “Unspoken” a lot. I listened to it for an hour straight once.

“Every Planet We Reach is Dead” by The Gorillaz: I love this beat, along with the simple “wahh wahh wa wawawa” of the guitar that pops in here and there. Very plain song, with nice lyrics and vocals too. I’ve been enjoying the rest of Demon Days as well.

“Under the Bridge” by Red Hot Chili Peppers: I spoke about this song in my last post, but I really listened to it a few times, and I love the bass guitar here. When Anthony Kiedis goes into the chorus, I love his tone. This is the kind of simple texture that I love in a song.

“April 29th 1992” by Sublime: I have always liked this song, kind of a ballad of sorts.

“Black Mamba” by The Academy Is: Again, I have a thing for acoustic guitars in rock songs, along with a predominant drum sound. It’s a combination I find more and more in my favorite songs.

“Hope” by Jack Johnson: I feel like every time I listen to this song, I find some new note or instrument thrown in. There’s lots of songs like this. I would say “The Remedy” by Jason Mraz or “One Week” by Barenaked Ladies also fits this bill.

Everclear: A few of their songs have been blowing me away through my HD448’s (soon to be upgraded!). “Santa Monica”, “Father Of Mine”, “I Will Buy You A New Life”, and “So Much For The Afterglow” I previously had a bad rip, with loads of sibilance. I re-ripped when I noticed it wasn’t just the track. Much better!

“1983” and “In The Next Room” by Neon Trees: I like the vocals of Neon Trees. I recently heard an acoustic version of “Animals” and liked it much more than the normal one.

We Sold Out For Free EP by Body or Brain: A very raw, live sound to their music. Seems very cleanly recorded. Not much editing or processing.

“Little Sister” by Queens of the Stone Age: Needs more cowbell. Need I say more?

“Behind Blue Eyes”, “Bargain”, and Quadrophenia by The Who: if The Who ever goes on tour again, I’ll give an arm and a leg to see them live.  My favorite part of  “Behind Blue Eyes” is the acoustic guitar. Perfection. I love how you can actually feel it in your ear with the RE0’s. Kind of a scratchy feeling. Awesome! The bass guitar is also nicely executed here. The drums aren’t overdone for my tastes either. One of my favorite songs.

“Flaskaboozendancingshoes” “Very Busy People” “The Future” “Dancing At Her Funeral” “Wildfires” by The Limousines: The Limousines opened for the Weezer concert I went to, and I wasn’t very impressed with the sound. I thought they were worth a second look, so I tried their album when I got home. WOW. The venue did not do them justice. I can’t say the same for most live music I’ve heard, but they had something setup wrong. There were NO vocals live, it was completely recessed, the bass was overpowering. (oddly satisfying to truly feel ridiculous amounts of bass, maybe not from a quality standpoint… but it was an experience) Much better off of the CD.

Hot Hot Heat: I think their album, Elevator is one of those that I could listen to over and over again, and never be bored. One of the first CD’s I ever had, that I really listened to and cherished, that was truly mine. (Wow. That was only five years ago…. My tastes have certainly changed)

Cage The Elephant by Cage The Elephant: I saw them live a little while ago, at some small stage outdoor event I can’t remember the name of. They had so much energy, probably some of the best performers I have ever seen. Also one of those special few albums I love every track from.

“The Resolution” “MFEO Pt. 1” “Bruised” “Mixed Tape” by Jack’s Mannequin: A recent addition to my library, my love for Jack’s Mannequin grew when I was lucky enough to discover that one of the children in my mother’s kindergarten class was a nephew of Andrew McMahon, the lead singer of Jack’s Mannequin. I was very privileged to meet him, and he played some live music for my mom’s class. I am one of those people that falls in love with anything after hearing it live (See: Coldplay, Cage The Elephant)

“Every Day Is A Winding Road” “If It Makes You Happy” “All I Wanna Do” by Sheryl Crow: I think that this fills a genre in my library that I find to be very lacking; female vocals. Just catchy songs. I realize that I basically like everybody’s hits… Hmm.

“Foreplay/ Long Time” “Let Me Take You Home Tonight” by Boston: More of that classic-y “I-don’t-know-how-to-categorize-this-type-of-music.” I would like some suggestions for similar music! Same goes for The Who.

“Nobody’s Hero” “Face Up” by Rush: Again, I need more of this music.

Inception OST: Need I say more? Godly. So much emotion. It manages to pump me up, yet leave me feeling kind of sad. So dramatic. BAAAARM BAAARM…….

“Under Control” by Parachute: I downloaded this as a single of the week on iTunes (bleh) a long time ago. It stuck.

“Dry Your Eyes” by Streets: I imagine a young Ricky Gervais is singing. Actually makes me laugh… Am I a terrible person?

“How Bizarre” by OMC: Gotta love one hit wonders. This is such an unusual song. Has anyone seen what this guy looks like? How bizarre……

“Here Withou You” by 3 Doors Down: Ahhhhh more 90’s music. I think it’s that mix again… violins (or something), drums, bass guitar.

“Double Dare (Proper Villains And Jubilee Remix) by Roxy Cottontail: I saw some videogame montage with this in it. It stuck.

“I Write Sins Not Tragedies” by Panic At The Disco: I really wish I knew more descriptive musical terms.

“Teenagers” by My Chemical Romance: Kind of funny lyrics to me… Gives me a chuckle, seeing as I’m the least threatening teen alive.

“Good Ol’ Fashion Nightmare” by Matt & Kim: Awesome percussion. Although I think a lot of it is the keyboard. It’s kind of hard to tell.

“Ghost’s n Stuff” by Deadmau5: I like some techno/electronic music. Deadmau5 is one of the few. I also enjoy a little dubstep.

“Daft Punk Is Playing At My House” by LCD Soundsystem: Kick-butt beat. I could listen to this without lyrics, and still love it.

“Illmerica” by Wolfgang Gartner: Great techno. I wish I had more like it.

(Any suggestions of music I may like are welcome in my other thread, sorry to sell out, I'm desperate for new music)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back