" Yesterday "

The Beatles

Nov 27, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #22,340 of 136,239
Album: Norah Jones - ... Featuring
Track: Turn Them, Sean Bones feat. Norah Jones

Nov 27, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #22,345 of 136,239
Oceansize - [Self Preserved While the Bodies Float Up #01] Part Cardiac
Oceansize - [Self Preserved While the Bodies Float Up #02] SuperImposer
Oceansize - [Self Preserved While the Bodies Float Up #03] Build Us A Rocket Then...
Oceansize - [Self Preserved While the Bodies Float Up #04] Oscar Acceptance Speech
Oceansize - [Self Preserved While the Bodies Float Up #05] Ransoms
Oceansize - [Self Preserved While the Bodies Float Up #06] A Penny's Weight
Oceansize - [Self Preserved While the Bodies Float Up #07] Transparent
Oceansize - [Self Preserved While the Bodies Float Up #08] It's My Tail And I'll Chase It If I Want To
Oceansize - [Self Preserved While the Bodies Float Up #09] Pine
Oceansize - [Self Preserved While the Bodies Float Up #10] SuperImposter

for the third or fourth time since i got it.

Nov 27, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #22,346 of 136,239
Strange days.

If there's one place I can kill serious time, it's a record shop. The nearest city, Syracuse NY, has a good one - one of the Sound Gardens.

But the last few times I have visited there, I find myself looking for stuff they don't have - what I want these days is either too old or too obscure or too deep in the catalog.

It's the 'Amazon effect,' I think - you strain at the limits of even a really well curated record shop because, well, because you can't pursue every connection that occurs to you. Today I was looking for some instrumental hip-hop and a couple of albums on Rune Grammofon, and they had...nuthin.' And I can't fully decide whether that's a good thing or a bad thing: by not letting me indulge absolutely every path I want to run down, a good record shop may nudge me toward better selections. (Assuming you believe in better and worse...) Or if the store isn't well tuned, I may miss something worth knowing.

Or I may just be beyond reasonably obsessive (or worse, really, really pretentious) for looking at things that way.

Anyway, I walked out with:

This is the afterlife for my much beloved Stereolab. The first play or two is not winning, but we shall see.

And...

I'm 40 years or so late to the dance, but this really is all it's cracked up to be. If I had bought this back in 70' - along with 'Surf's Up' and 'Lick My Decals Off' - it would've been one of those life long favorie albums, I think.

s.

Nov 27, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #22,347 of 136,239
Happens me all the time... specially with obscure 70's prog bands. most record stores are just for mainstream, dont blame them, how many people would want to buy "buon Vechio Charlie" - rock italiano progresivo, one album only, in 1974, very good stuff.

Nov 27, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #22,348 of 136,239

I'm glad to have the original vinyl version
beerchug.gif
(because there is no other version available ...)

Nov 27, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #22,349 of 136,239
Justin Townes Earle's latest, Harlem River Blues.  It's like if the Mason-Dixon line was somewhere around the US-Canada border and Justin was from NYC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back