Wilco - "Wilco (the album)"

Oct 27, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #15,146 of 136,051
The Alan Parsons Project

Eye In The Sky

Original Release Date: March 20, 2007
Number of Discs: 1
Label: Sony / BMG
Remastered

This album was originally released by Arista Records in 1982. An Arista press kit described it as "a cautionary tale about the loss of individualism."

Track Listings
1. Sirius
2. Eye In The Sky
3. Children Of The Moon
4. Gemini
5. Silence And I
6. You're Gonna Get Your Fingers Burned
7. Psychobabble
8. Mammagamma
9. Step By Step
10. Old And Wise
11. Sirius
12. Old And Wise
13. Any Other Day
14. Silence And I
15. Naked Eye
16. Eye Pieces

Personnel:

Bass: David Paton

Drums and Percussion: Stuart Elliott

Acoustic and Electric guitars: Ian Bairnson

Keyboards: Eric Woolfson, Alan Parsons

Fairlight Programming: Alan Parsons

Sax: Mel Collins

Vocals: Eric Woolfson, David Paton, Chris Rainbow, Lenny Zakatek, Elmer Gantry, Colin Blunstone, The English Chorale

Chorus Master: Bob Howes

Orchestral Contractor: George Harris

Orchesta and Choir Arranged and Conducted by Andrew Powell

Cinematic Genius, May 11, 2007
By Tim Brough "author and music buff"
(Springfield, PA United States)

The Alan Parsons Project hit their greatest commercial pinnacle with "Eye In The Sky," the only album other than "I Robot" to reach the top ten. It was also the moment that the revolving members of APP centralized the two main strengths of their albums: concept and songcraft. "Eye In The Sky" is so creamily melodic that it's almost easy to miss the underlying concept of intrusive surveillance. Probably more than any other APP CD, this is where the Adult Contemporary sound that eventually dominated Parson's following efforts took hold.

That is not to say the songs are lacking. As usual, they are tunefully hooky and usually memory grabbers, like the title track. The opening instrumental "Sirius" became the introductory theme for thousands of athletic events, and "Psychobabble" is the obligatory prog-rock song aimed directly at 80's AOR Radio. (Actually, the other song in the vein, "You're Gonna Get Your Fingers Burned," is the weakest song on the CD.) As on previous CD's, the highlights include ballads. On "Eye In The Sky," it's "Old and Wise" with ex-Zombie Colin Blunstone on the lead vocal. One of the discs' more interesting extras is Eric Woolfson's vocal demo on that particular number.

The bonus tracks are indicative of just how much work Parsons and Woolfsons put into their music. While "Eye In The Sky" plays almost like a soundtrack to a movie never produced, the demos show the tinkering that goes on before the final, lush and cinematic sound is crystallized. (Frankly, I like the album enough to have not needed to hear works in progress.) But now that "Eye In The Sky" and "I Robot" have been given their sonically upgraded due, it's a joy to hear the kind of mastery Parsons and company put into this soft-rock marvel.

~
smily_headphones1.gif
~

Oct 27, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #15,147 of 136,051
Radiohead - "In Rainbows"

Oct 27, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #15,148 of 136,051
cover.jpg
MUSIC ***** 5 stars
SQ * 1 star

I read here that this was nothing to be excited about. I then got worried that I would never have a good copy of the White Album. Imagine that,..... a piece of music history lost forever to the world. I then purchased the US vinyl for $27.00. Then I found I had a White Album on vinyl so now I have 2. Saw this remaster CD for $13.00 and thought I would just see how the sound was.

THIS IS NOT WORTH THE PLASTIC IT IS MADE OF.

This is as bad as it gets. Even the vocals have distortion. I can not believe that people will even put up with things like this going on. I would rather hear my scratchy LPs any day. There are only some scratchy parts as most of the albums are perfect.

This is so compressed and thin. It sounds like it is playing next door. What a let down. Thank God for the White Album still around on vinyl!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back