What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Oct 23, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #1,398 of 136,209
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoreCowbell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Deadstring Brothers - Silver Mountain.

Hey, how ya liking that new Deadstring Bros record? I like Starving Winter Report a lot, even if a bit too reverential at times to their influences, like the Band and the Stones. Heard the new one has a lot more fem vox going on. Is that good or bad?

Got the new one from Blanche playing here, Little Amber Bottles. Some similarities, and from that same Detroit area, but got more of a Handsome Family vibe. Cool stuff. One of my top 10 this year. Funny, just checked google to see how far off my Handsome Family comparison was, and this below popped up ...
smily_headphones1.gif

The Handsome Family and Blanche will be the special guests of country legend Charlie Louvin when he appears at London’s Dingwalls on October 24 as part of the BBC’s forthcoming Electric Proms festival. Tickets go on sale on September 12.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/electricproms/2...charlielouvin/

Both Blanche and the Handsomes will also be playing a number of other UK shows including an appearence for the latter at the Barbican’s Plague Songs concert along with Imogen Heap, King Creosote’s Kenny Anderson and Sandy Dillon on October 28.

Oct 23, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #1,400 of 136,209
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, how ya liking that new Deadstring Bros record? I like Starving Winter Report a lot, even if a bit too reverential at times to their influences, like the Band and the Stones. Heard the new one has a lot more fem vox going on. Is that good or bad?

Another Deadstring fan! And a Handsome Family fan on top of it! nice...

I'm only on my third spin of Silver Mountain and so far I like it. I wore Starving Winter Report out last spring and it remains one of my favorite releases from '06.

You're right, Marsha is featured quite a bit on the new one. I like her vocals well enough and it fits very well with the material. Depends on how you feel about such things I guess.

It's all good, it's good stuff! ...and I'll check out the Blanche. the lyrics can't be anything like the Handsome Family tho..?!

Oct 24, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #1,404 of 136,209
Levon Helm's Dirt Farmer - It came out today and I have already listened to it three times. It is amazing to think that he was battling throat cancer not too long ago. The album has the ragged harmonies that the BAND - this time with help from his daughter- did so well. Fantastic album!

Oct 24, 2007 at 2:25 AM Post #1,405 of 136,209
h10074zg6bm.jpg

Oct 24, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #1,409 of 136,209
Fleetwood Mac -- Rhiannon

Oct 24, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #1,410 of 136,209
Sweeping Up The Spotlight - Jefferson Airplane
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back