What Are You Listening To Right Now?
May 22, 2024 at 12:17 PM Post #136,831 of 137,755
Genesis - Nursery Cryme.png
This is the 2013 Japan remaster CD - dynamic range is 13. A tad bright as
the Japan remasters tend to be. Here, the revenge of the invasive plant species.

Impressive progressiveness abounds, and Phil Collins is a helluva drummer.

Yes - The Yes Album.png
The 2023 remaster that also contains the Steven Wilson remixes (listening to
the former at 24/96). Both are available on YouTube. Thanks, Qobuz.

I remember having trouble to understand some of Jon Anderson's vocals,
that is no longer the case with the 2023 remaster ... all the voices are clear.

Here's the Steven Wilson remix of the same song ... which do y'all prefer?

Bill Bruford's drumming is so solid and still inventive.

Led Zeppelin - I.png
This album was also remastered in 2023, available in 24/96 on Qobuz. Yeah!

The 2023 Zeppelin remasters are not easy to find on YouTube. The music
via Qobuz sounds tremendous. Very clear including Robert's vocals. If you
have Qobuz, I recommend starting with Zeppelin I and just going forward -
the remasters are the best I've heard. Happy listening, friends!
HD800 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~> :)

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #136,835 of 137,755
May 22, 2024 at 7:06 PM Post #136,839 of 137,755
My Nina Simone collection. I came to know Nina's music long after her passing. Was always curious. In addition to her voice, I absolutely love her piano playing. Love O' Love from her Silk & Soul album. This song also reminds one of an old church hymn. Also really love I Put A Spell On You from the same titled album. She has some really great music, lots surrounded by her social activism during the 60's.

Nina Simone Collection.jpg

May 22, 2024 at 8:41 PM Post #136,840 of 137,755

May 22, 2024 at 10:34 PM Post #136,841 of 137,755

May 22, 2024 at 11:03 PM Post #136,842 of 137,755
Dunno how you guys keep track of your albums but I'm slowly losing track of what's buried in my collection ... I haven't counted anything in a good while and the usual means don't really work in that jungle of folders, subfolders, etc ... oh well.
Anyhoo ... still got the player and PC (foobar)

I gave up years ago lol. I always say I'll get around to organizing everything well one day, but never do. It's enough to keep up with finding/buying and ripping CDs.

I've tried music managers, even Roon, but don't like them (I'm not into tagging music, and certainly not auto-tagging, for one thing). I do the old fashioned Foobar/folder method (and really that works pretty well). I don't get into a lot of folder subdividing (like into more and more subgenres); I don't like trying to pigeonhole music into smaller and smaller descriptive categories. I find that artificial and it will drive you nuts trying to classify everything into some impossible taxonomic perfection: what am I, Carl Linnaeus??! :smile:

I do enter and rate new/new-to-me albums on my AMG account as I listen to them, but I still have thousands of albums that I haven't entered on there because I haven't listened to them yet or haven't in quite awhile. Generally I remember what I have in my collection and what I've bought but haven't yet listened to. When I'm in doubt, I look up the artist/group/album on AMG and see if it's already in my collection or if they/the album look familiar. Or I jump into my folders where I would expect to find it (and my "not yet listened to folder" if I can't find it under general genre). Or I go to my LastFM account to see if I've scrobbled the artist/group/album yet. One of those methods works in general and I haven't bought an album I already have yet (unless I'm tracking down better/different sounding versions, or expanded versions, of course)!

Folder (2).jpg

Folder.jpg

And now to go through Jarrett's legendary live performance collection. I'll be listening to these by release year instead of recorded date for simplicity...and sanity. This will take awhile...

Folder (7).jpg

^ This is the expanded 2 CD version that is found in this set.

Folder (10).jpg

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 11:57 PM Post #136,845 of 137,755
Dunno how you guys keep track of your albums but I'm slowly losing track of what's buried in my collection ... I haven't counted anything in a good while and the usual means don't really work in that jungle of folders, subfolders, etc ... oh well.
I gave up years ago lol. I always say I'll get around to organizing everything well one day, but never do. It's enough to keep up with finding/buying and ripping CDs.

I've tried music managers, even Roon, but don't like them (I'm not into tagging music, and certainly not auto-tagging, for one thing). I do the old fashioned Foobar/folder method (and really that works pretty well). I don't get into a lot of folder subdividing (like into more and more subgenres); I don't like trying to pigeonhole music into smaller and smaller descriptive categories. I find that artificial and it will drive you nuts trying to classify everything into some impossible taxonomic perfection: what am I, Carl Linnaeus??! :smile:
I'm of the opposite as I'm completely confused as to how you guys feel this is hard to do???

I don't mess with files and folders where organizing music is concerned. That's because the CD ripping program - dBpoweramp creates its own folder structure when it rips a CD. All I have to do is point my media player - Jriver Media Center to the root folder and it lists all the albums by Genre, Album, Artis, Files, or you can create your own custom views. Tagging is as simple as putting a CD in a CD player and having the ripping software read and list the contents to include track listing, artist(s), album image, and release date, etc...

And because JRiver has an extensive tagging editor, making corrections, if need, is as simple as typing this post. The only thing that's hard about any of this is lack of initiative. But that's OK if that's not what you want to do. But really, it's far simpler than you might think. As for genre's, we didn't make those up, the music industry did :wink:

At the end of the day, there's zero fiddling with folders or organizing music as both my ripper, and media player deals with that. The ripper also deal with the tagging :wink:

Anyway, tonight, I'm feeling Bob James....

Bob James Collection.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back