Overhead - Of Sun and Moon (2012).jpg
Stephan Thelen - Fractal Sextet (2022).jpg
Daniele Gottardo - INkBlot (2022).jpg

Sep 25, 2023 at 7:01 AM Post #127,926 of 137,777
Losing my Religion - REM

Sep 25, 2023 at 9:13 AM Post #127,929 of 137,777

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #127,930 of 137,777
Starting the day easy at the office, retiring Wednesday so just basically boxing my stuff while listening to Bill Evans' You Must Believe In Spring with the Stellia on a little iFi Zen stack.

Sep 25, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #127,931 of 137,777
Starting the day easy at the office, retiring Wednesday so just basically boxing my stuff while listening to Bill Evans' You Must Believe In Spring with the Stellia on a little iFi Zen stack.
Welcome to "Club Retired". Some people adjust differently than others. For me, it changed my life in magical ways! Enjoy the journey to your next chapter.

Furthur!

Leo

Sep 25, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #127,933 of 137,777
Congratulations on retirement, and on having the forethought to listen to Bill Evans while boxing up stuff. :)

For today: an eclectic mix. Thanks to @Ableza and @Pandahead for the ideas.

Alice Cooper - Welcome to My Nightmare.png
From 1975, the first solo album by Vince Furnier aka Alice Cooper after the
breakup of his 10-yr old band. Narration by Vincent Price for added spookiness.
Annette said she saw the show in New Orleans, back in the day, she said Alice
came out in a spider outfit and climbed up a rope spider web. Sorry I missed it!

Mitski - The Land is Inhospitable and So Are We.png
Mitski's 7th studio album, released two weeks ago. A recommendation by
Qobuz.

Vince Gill - Okie.png
Michael Rhodes on bass. RIP, dude.

Very nice tribute to another great singer/songwriter. Well done, Vince.

Had some lagniappe time, so queued up this old-time gem.
Screenshot 2023-09-25 at 14.30.02.png

HD800 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~> :)

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #127,934 of 137,777
Congratulations on retirement, and on having the forethought to listen to Bill Evans while boxing up stuff. :)

For today: an eclectic mix. Thanks to @Ableza and @Pandahead for the ideas.

Alice Cooper - Welcome to My Nightmare.png
Mitski - The Land is Inhospitable and So Are We.png
Vince Gill - Okie.png
HD800 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~> :)
Thank you :gs1000smile:

Sep 25, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #127,935 of 137,777
Welcome to "Club Retired". Some people adjust differently than others. For me, it changed my life in magical ways! Enjoy the journey to your next chapter.

Furthur!

Leo
Thank you! We have plenty of activities planned for the near future but since wifw won't retire for severeal years I will keep busy in my man cave aseembling high-end bookshelf speakers kits purchased locally from Solen, one of the most prolific purveyor of crossover parts for just about any expensive speaker out there. Curiously the parts I buy (caps, resistors and even air-center Linkwitz coils) are not that expensive by themselves but if you purchase the pre-built cossovers it's very expensive because they are rather complex and sprawled all over the inside of the back panel. Some people even want them outside enclosed in glass so they can look at them, because a well-done fourth-order job looks impressive with multiple large red coils, black caps and resistors pretty much of any colour you want: white, black, green, etc. All the soldering is hidden under the board, looks real neat and clean.

But I build the crossovers myself, I like soldering so it's not a chore for me. I used to build the cabinets following a blueprint but used 1" thick fibre boards instead of of 3/4" while keeping the inside volume identical to the plan's. Now that Solen sells pre-built cabinets I just buy those instead but I ad my trademark bracing which consists of a 2" wide board stuck to the back wall with the other end abutting the back of the mid-bass driver(s) using a piece of rubber to adjust the pressure exerted on the driver. This has multiple benefits: it braces the cabinet further obviously, but also by way of slightly pushing on the driver magnet it keeps its screws tighter -provided they are well settled in the fibreboard- and prevents the driver from vibrating, which redirects more energy to the cone membrane and thus to the listener(s); it's not much of a job but it has a very audible benefit in terms of tighter yet deeper bass provided you use high-quality drivers. I learned that trick from a quasi-experimental Tannoy model that was only made and sold in Canada in limited numbers under the brand name Camber in the late 90's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back