What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Jul 4, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #125,536 of 136,310
I Think I'm Going Bald is one of the few Rush tracks I skip. I don't know how that made it on the record besides that I know they were just kidding around, but some joke songs should stay in the studio. Signals is one of my favorites as well; I love the running science theme through much of it. Fwiw, I've never thought Rush was metal (and not always really prog rock either, especially post '80: progish, but not full prog; even their most "prog" albums contain songs that are more regular rock than prog), but I grew up in the 80's when metal became, well, to me, metal. Just heavier (and faster with trash and speed) than 70's material. I don't even really consider Black Sabbath metal; more like proto-metal with a lot of rock/hard rock tracks too.

Yes they're more of a rock band than anything else, definitely not metal. I was pleasantry surprised when I bought their debut album after hearing Caress of Steel and Fly By Night, which like Signals, is a consistent album in that all the songs have a similar sound. Working Man is a great track.
I've always thought of Sabbath as doom metal, well before Dio joined.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #125,537 of 136,310
That's fast 😮 (but again, Biondi's "Summer" finale is my cup of cake :wink:)

It doesn't bother me with Vivaldi, but I do have to agree with you on this one.

I really like Mackerras. As you said, it somehow sounds more authentic. For non-HIP recordings I have a soft spot for Suitner and Staatskapelle Dresden. In the land of the speedy versions, Reiner and Chicago SO 1954 recording is breathtaking.
I will check those out. Of the'oldies' I like Dorati's and Walter's recordings a lot.

Jul 4, 2023 at 10:52 AM Post #125,539 of 136,310
Blue Bash - Kenny Burrell, Jimmy Smith, 1963, Verve label
$_57.jpg

====================================================================

Midnight Blue 1963, jazz guitarist Kenny Burrell featuring Stanley Turrentine on tenor saxophone, Major Holley on double bass, Bill English on drums and Ray Barretto on conga, and is one of Burrell's best-known works for Blue Note.
Jazz Improv magazine lists the album among its top five recommended recordings for Burrell, indicating that "if you need to know 'the Blue Note sound', here it is".
In 2005, NPR included the album in its "Basic Jazz Library", describing it as "one of the great jazzy blues records".
The album has been re-issued by Blue Note, remastered by Rudy Van Gelder.
s-l1600 (15).jpg

===============================================================================

Blue Lights
Album by Kenny Burrell
Some of Kenny's best recordings – especially from the early days! The albums contained on this 2CD set feature Kenny in the company of some of the best late 50's players at Blue Note. Junior Cook and Tina Brooks are on tenor, Duke Jordan or Bobby Timmons play piano, Louis Smith plays trumpet on some tracks, Sam Jones is on bass, and Art Blakey is on drums throughout. The cuts have a very open-ended blowing session feel, and Kenny comes through surprisingly well, really picking up steam on a way you don't always hear in more restrained recordings.
Very fine early jazz group Rudy Van Gelder recording here, folks!
41iNigvcsYL._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #125,541 of 136,310

House Of The Rising Sun - The Animals​

Saw a wonderful version of this performed a few years ago, with the Animals arrangement, by Reverend Horton Heat, with Jello Biafra from the Dead Kennedys on vocals. They played it straight, and he's really quite a good singer in a range different from how he usually sounds....

Jul 4, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #125,544 of 136,310

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #125,547 of 136,310
Screenshot_20230704_162740_Roon.jpg

Screenshot_20230704_145938_Roon.jpg

Screenshot_20230704_161822_Roon.jpg

1688531632215.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back