What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Sep 17, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #115,966 of 137,789
Deep catalog stuff here. Some of you will hate it, others will be blown away. Imho, along with Bill Frisell, Jakob Bro is one of the most innovative guitarists/composers of the last two decades (and there are several albums on the Loveland label featuring them together). Hardly his most approachable work, I find this album strangely intoxicating; can’t get enough.

As an added bonus - even if you don’t dig the music, it’s guaranteed to make your headphones sound great.

Enjoy!
Will definitely check this out...thanks!

Edit. Well, I checked it out. Sampled the entire "Bro" and "Knak" portions at iTunes. I loved the whole thing. I could listen to "Izu" from "Bro," and "Epilog Rebuild" from "Knak" on a loop all day. CD's are hard to find. I have to get the digital versions. Great find on a slow Saturday morning. Thanks Again...

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #115,967 of 137,789
Joe Strummer 002.jpg
I'm obsessed for now...

Sep 17, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #115,969 of 137,789
Kind of Blue was Miles inventing post Bop modalities and introducing the world to John Coltrane and Bill Evans in 1959. Bitches Brew was Miles inventing fusion and introducing the world to John McLaughlin and Joe Zawinul in 1971. 12 years is a lot of time in earth years, and Miles was ever innovative so, yes, they are quite different, but both classics. Bitches Brew remains a masterpiece of avant-jazz, and amazingly, like Kind of Blue, still sounds fresh 50 years later. Great stuff.
I'm not into 'jazz' except for early 70's Miles Davis stuff, like 'Bitch's Brew' and 'Jack Johnson' - those expanded CD box sets are great! I like that kind of music for the same reason I like Grateful Dead space jams.....And they had jazz guys like Branford Marsalis, David Murray, and Ornette Coleman join them once in a while....

Sep 17, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #115,972 of 137,789
Sep 17, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #115,973 of 137,789
I'm not into 'jazz' except for early 70's Miles Davis stuff, like 'Bitch's Brew' and 'Jack Johnson' - those expanded CD box sets are great! I like that kind of music for the same reason I like Grateful Dead space jams.....And they had jazz guys like Branford Marsalis, David Murray, and Ornette Coleman join them once in a while....
Try the 1st of the expanded boxes Miles and Coltrane. It might change your mind. I know that Kind of Blue - great as it is - can be a little ‘played’, just because it’s so popular. But listen to Coltrane on Workin’, Steamin’, Cookin’, Relaxin’ - any of those magical Miles Davis Quintet albums - and you might change your mind about earlier Miles Davis.

image.jpg

Then, once you work your way through those, you get Thelonius Monk (my favorite of all favorites) as a reward. 🤓

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #115,974 of 137,789
Try the 1st of the expanded boxes mikes and Coltrane. It might change your mind. I know that Kind of Blue - great as it is - can be a little ‘played’, just because it’s so popular. But listen to Coltrane on Workin’, Steamin’, Cookin’, Relaxin’ - any of those magical Miles Davis Quintet albums - and you might change your mind about earlier Miles Davis.

image.jpg

Then, once you work your way through those, you get Thelonius Monk (my favorite of all favorites) as a reward. 🤓
Thank you, Strat! - yes, those are the Bitch's Brew and Jack Johnson boxes that I've got as well.

Would you still make those same recommendations if I say that as great as it is, the whole general 'be-bop' style just doesn't do it for me?
Oh, and another one I really like a lot is Herbie Hancock's 'Crossings'. Some jazz guys in my college dorm turned me on to these....

Sep 17, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #115,975 of 137,789
Thank you, Strat! - yes, those are the Bitch's Brew and Jack Johnson boxes that I've got as well.

Would you still make those same recommendations if I say that as great as it is, the whole general 'be-bop' style just doesn't do it for me?
Oh, and another one I really like a lot is Herbie Hancock's 'Crossings'. Some jazz guys in my college dorm turned me on to these....
I would, but I’d try to convince you that bop, be-bop and post-bop are all a bit different. I’m not suggesting you go back to Charlie Parker (yet), but Coltrane and Miles led us into the post-bop era, which in turn led to the avant jazz that you’ve come to know. For me, John McLaughlin on electric guitar = John Coltrane on sax, lots of Mixolydian and Phrygian modalities that are at once discordant and pleasing to the ear. BUT, if it’s not your cup of tea, it’s not your cup of tea. All I’ll say is, if you enjoyed Branford hopping on stage with the Dead at MSG, well, no offense to Branford, but he’s just not Coltrane (though I do still pull out Trio Jeepy from time to time).

Of course, all that came later for me. I first heard Miles’ Live Evil in an 11th grade humanities class (1976) and my head exploded. But I didn’t go back and explore the stuff from the 50’s until much later. My first foray from there was the Mahavishnu Orchestra, which I play at least multiple times per week to this day. So maybe that’s a different way to go if you haven’t done so already. Imagine Bitches Brew with John McLaughlin as bandleader, and you get the idea. The Herbie Hancock stuff, to me, is a little more to the funk side of jazz. Mahavishnu is a bit more ‘intense’, for lack of a better word. There’s so much great stuff out there - gotta hear it all!!!!!

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #115,976 of 137,789
20220917_173058.jpg

The Pineapple Thief - Give It Back

Sep 17, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #115,979 of 137,789
Screenshot 2022-09-17 135326.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back