What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Aug 11, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #106,427 of 137,784
1628686790756.jpeg

Aug 11, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #106,429 of 137,784
I don't spend much time listening to country or to classical. This morning I've been on repeat with the below Emmylou Harris track, "Deeper Well". It is an awesome song. It makes me think that I should devote more time to other genres.
Yeah, Emmylou is a great musician. She also collaborated with Gram Parsons ...
Another angelic voice to consider is Alison Krauss.

Received today. 50th anniversary - remix & remastered - 2CD album
I’m somewhat disappointed w/ the overall sound - some of the tracks sound muddy - George’s voice is brought to the forefront on every song instead of being part of the mix. Maybe I was expecting too much but considering the technology available in audio nowadays, I can’t help but wonder about what they were trying to do exactly. In my opinion the best version of this iconic album remains the 1987 EMI/ Toshiba mix/ master, Catalogue no. CP28 5459 60. On this latter version one can hear the whole band, instruments and George’s voice blending together cohesively and much clearer. The reviewers on YouTube have so far given this 50th anniversary remix rave reviews. I wish I could share their opinion.
Thanks Bob for the advice! You made me look, and I have the 2001 remaster ... 30-yr anniversary.
I couldn't find any information on a 1987 release by EMI / Toshiba ... ?

And ... thanks for the idea. Here is the next album in George's solo discography.
Recorded in NYC's Madison Square Garden in 1971, it is part Indian music, part
George Harrison and part Bob Dylan. Other friends include Ravi Shankar, Ali Akbar
Kahn, Richard Starkey, Billy Preston, Eric Clapton and Leon Russell. Klaus Voormann
on bass.
George Harrison - The Concert for Bangladesh, Disc 1.jpg
HD800 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~> :)

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #106,431 of 137,784
Thanks @RCBinTN , @BobG55 , @Les Strat , @whirlwind and others. I appreciate your posts here as they are a great way to explore and find new music. This morning has been dedicated to your posts...
1628695166348.png

1628695188018.png

1628695209668.png

1628695233075.png

Aug 11, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #106,434 of 137,784
Porcupine Tree - The Nostalgia Factory
1628713053627.png

Continuing the review of their full catalog on Qobuz.

Aug 11, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #106,436 of 137,784
Yeah, Emmylou is a great musician. She also collaborated with Gram Parsons ...
Another angelic voice to consider is Alison Krauss.

Thanks Bob for the advice! You made me look, and I have the 2001 remaster ... 30-yr anniversary.
I couldn't find any information on a 1987 release by EMI / Toshiba ... ?

And ... thanks for the idea. Here is the next album in George's solo discography.
Recorded in NYC's Madison Square Garden in 1971, it is part Indian music, part
George Harrison and part Bob Dylan. Other friends include Ravi Shankar, Ali Akbar
Kahn, Richard Starkey, Billy Preston, Eric Clapton and Leon Russell. Klaus Voormann
on bass.

HD800 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~> :)
What an album that is @RCBinTN :relaxed:
It was given to me as a Birthday present in May 1972 and I still have the original vinyl box set and booklet, in pristine condition.
It hasn't been played for over 20 years as I don't have vinyl playback at the moment. I still listen to it on Qobuz.
There are some phenomenal performances on the album ( in my opinion).
My favourites include:
'Beware of Darkness'. Leon Russell's vocal is fantastic.
The whole Dylan set, especially 'Just Like a Woman'
'Here Comes the Sun'
Edit: The Emmylou Harris album 'Wrecking Ball' is a gem and the sound quality is also fantastic.
As for Alison Krauss, as someone who is not even a big fan of Bluegrass/ Country music, her live album with Union Station is one of my favourite live albums.
1628718957063.png

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #106,437 of 137,784
What an album that is @RCBinTN :relaxed:
It was given to me as a Birthday present in May 1972 and I still have the original vinyl box set and booklet, in pristine condition.
It hasn't been played for over 20 years as I don't have vinyl playback at the moment. I still listen to it on Qobuz.
There are some phenomenal performances on the album ( in my opinion).
My favourites include:
'Beware of Darkness'. Leon Russell's vocal is fantastic.
The whole Dylan set, especially 'Just Like a Woman'
'Here Comes the Sun'
Edit: The Emmylou Harris album 'Wrecking Ball' is a gem and the sound quality is also fantastic.
As for Alison Krauss, as someone who is not even a big fan of Bluegrass/ Country music, her live album with Union Station is one of my favourite live albums.
1628718957063.png
This is my 4th post today on this thread, and now I've violated the prime rule - aargh! That was a nice gift @Les Strat - the wiki stated the vinyl had retailed at 5.50 pounds which, back in the day, was a tidy sum. George was a very complex guitarist, under-appreciated IMO by his bug mates although his playing made a huge positive impact on their music. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back