What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Jun 2, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #60,976 of 136,066

Jun 2, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #60,977 of 136,066
R-1238149-1202862084.jpeg.jpg

Jun 2, 2015 at 2:38 AM Post #60,978 of 136,066

Any good? how about the other symphonies?

I like this box from the LSO. It was cheap so it is great value for the money. The recording is spacious and there is great dynamics and some good slam in the percussion. It is not one of the very intimate recordings though like some of the DG recordings. Most of the symphonies are played in a very engaging way. I like this conductor. But also I have had better wow-experiences with no 2 and 5 with Bernstein+Wiener Philharminics. So as a box set there are truly great moments in the LSO box. No. 3 is one of the good ones in this box set. Highly recommended when found on Amazon for almost nothing. 

Jun 2, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #60,979 of 136,066
  I like this box from the LSO. It was cheap so it is great value for the money. The recording is spacious and there is great dynamics and some good slam in the percussion. It is not one of the very intimate recordings though like some of the DG recordings. Most of the symphonies are played in a very engaging way. I like this conductor. But also I have had better wow-experiences with no 2 and 5 with Bernstein+Wiener Philharminics. So as a box set there are truly great moments in the LSO box. No. 3 is one of the good ones in this box set. Highly recommended when found on Amazon for almost nothing. 

I only have Gergiev's 6th and liked its forward dynamic and overall sound..wishlisted, thanks! I like Bernstein also and lots of others..like Walter, Gielen and Chailly.. o and Boulez!

Jun 2, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #60,984 of 136,066
Here's one of those modern jazz groups everyone should know.

[em] - Wasted & Wanted

Jun 2, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #60,985 of 136,066
  Fleece: Scavenger 
I don't really know how to describe this, but it sounds very Pixies. Fans of Pixies would probably like this. They have free FLAC downloads on their bandcamp of this. Really like this album.

While the band is obviously and suddenly in the spotlight right now because of their alt-J parody video, I think that their sound is a little undeveloped for them to be shoved into the spotlight fully. They have plenty of potential, but their lyrics don't have much depth and they don't really seem to have a signature sound. They're all very good musicians, but I'll have to wait for their next album to see if they'll be worth paying attention to in the coming years.

Jun 2, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #60,986 of 136,066
While the band is obviously and suddenly in the spotlight right now because of their alt-J parody video, I think that their sound is a little undeveloped for them to be shoved into the spotlight fully. They have plenty of potential, but their lyrics don't have much depth and they don't really seem to have a signature sound. They're all very good musicians, but I'll have to wait for their next album to see if they'll be worth paying attention to in the coming years.

Yeah I agree. But they're new and starting out, the spotlight will help them in my opinion. More people listening to their music = more money, effort, etc. You're right, they are talented, they have potential so I'll keep an eye on them. They're new and didn't really have a lot of popularity before the alt j parody, so of course their sound is a bit underdeveloped. We'll see how they react to all this new popularity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back