Jul 9, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #53,478 of 136,257

Jul 10, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #53,482 of 136,257

beerchug.gif

Jul 10, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #53,484 of 136,257
Here's stuff I listened last night.

Chthonic - Bú-Tik

Metsatöll - Hiiekoda

Swans - The Seer

First time listening to all of these but Bú-Tik. Hiiekoda is about as good as people say. The production value isn't the highest, but the mastering isn't your typical loudness war rape so the album still actually sounds better than most modern metal albums out there. The Seer I've had since release but have actively avoided listening to because of the ridiculous hype surrounding this release (I can literally feel echoes of it in the air even now). Now that I've listened to it, it didn't sound anything like the picture people had painted me. I expected something dark, gritty, haunting and experimental but it was nothing of the sort. This struck me as an album I might've really liked, say, five plus years ago, but now I can only hear why some people would like and even worship this release, but to me even though the album feels sorta "nice" I constantly found myself thinking "this isn't bad by any means and at times quite good, but at the same time I sorta would like to listen to something else."

Today I've been watching the video below in small chunks per YouTube's recommendation. The show starts at around the 13-minute mark. The link below the embedded video takes you directly there.

I kind of want to look into acquiring more of these concerts on Blu-ray now…

http://youtu.be/rL5YKZ9ecpg?t=12m55s

Jul 10, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #53,488 of 136,257
A friend recommended I check out Neil Cowley Trio.  I've been listening to a lot of Vijay Iyer lately so I assumed this group was something similar....not so much.  Pretty enjoyable though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back