What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Mar 11, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #50,746 of 136,272
Ulrich Alexander KreppeinString Quartet (2009)
The Danish String Quartet

J. S. BachWär Gott nicht mit uns diese Zeit, BWV14
Hana Blažíková, soprano
Damien Guillon, counter-tenor
Gerd Türk, tenor
Peter Kooij, bass
Bach Collegium Japan/Masaaki Suzuki

Alexander GoehrSince Brass, nor Stone... Op. 80 (2008)-- Fantasy for string quartet and percussion
Colin Currie , percussion
Pavel Haas Quartet
...around Stravinsky for violin and woodwind quartet Op. 72 (2002)-- Prelude, 'Dushkin'-- Stravinsky: Pastorale--Introduzione and Rondo
David Alberman, violin
Gareth Hulse, oboe
Richard Hosford, clarinet
Ursula Leveaux, bassoon
Richard Watkins, horn

Luis de PabloDibujos for flute, clarinet, violin and cello (1979)
Ensemble 2E2M/Paul Mefano

Alban BergString Quartet, Op. 3
Schönberg Quartett

Mar 11, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #50,755 of 136,272
Some new purchases today, both specially ordered through the local record store. I got the call that they came in about an hour before the store closed today, and rushed over to grab them before six. Though I only ordered late last week, I've wanted both of these albums for a number of years. I could've probably saved two or three dollars by ordering through Amazon, but I need to keep shopping at brick-and-mortar stores even for special orders if I want any hope of being able to hop in the car and come back home with new music the same day on a whim.

Reservoir is my first Fanfarlo album, but I've been following the group casually for some time now and really love their folky vibe. The band uses all of the same ambient sound tricks and singing saw layers that turned Mutual Benefit into one of the big rising stars of the folk world late last year, but they do it around a faster-paced, slightly heavier and more rock-oriented song format. It's a really good combination, with an organic yet energetic sound.

On the other hand, I own over half of Elbow's discography, and I've been waiting to get my hands on a copy of The Seldom Seen Kid for a very long time now. Elbow is far and away my favorite British band of the modern era, combining soaring rock with a creative flair that you simply cannot find in many other acts. Guy Harvey and the group are masters of using organs, percussive reverb, and various other sound layers to create songs which sound almost like pop rock from afar, but astound with their complexity and power up close.

I cannot recommend either of these albums enough. They're both fantastic.

Reservoir by Fanfarlo

The Seldom Seen Kid by Elbow

Mar 12, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #50,757 of 136,272
Thanks to MattTCG for this one:

I'm really enjoying this band and in my research I discovered that Dave Lamb is recovering from a bone marrow transplant. Check out their site at http://brownbird.net/about/ for more info. Get well soon, Dave!

Mar 12, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #50,759 of 136,272
Bob Dylan's "Motorpsycho Nightmare" made me smile several times and literally laugh out loud "So I yelled I like Fidel Castro and his beard!" and all the Psycho references is pretty awesome.  

Also downloaded this after hearing Dylan's version of "House of The Rising Sun"  Might as well get their version and "We've Gotta Get Outta This Place"

Mar 12, 2014 at 6:28 AM Post #50,760 of 136,272

Users who are viewing this thread

Back