What Are You Listening To Right Now?
May 2, 2022 at 3:31 AM Post #112,983 of 136,242
1651476655986.png

Billy MacKenzie - Outernational

May 2, 2022 at 6:12 AM Post #112,984 of 136,242
Robin Trower's 2008 compilation album 'Day of the Eagle'
1651485779620.png

I have been lucky to have seen Robin play live, four times.
The first gig was in 1973. At that time I had never heard of him and he completely blew me away.
I bought the album Bridge of Sighs when it was released in '74 and now have most of his albums, including this compilation which has been remastered and sounds very good.
The album Bridge of Sighs remains my favourite, but he produced lots of brilliant stuff, especially with the original line up when James Dewar was singer and bass player.
'Daydream'- (originally on the '73 album Twice Removed From Yesterday) is one of many gems. This is a live version from '75:

Attachments

• 1651486300003.png
    1651486300003.png
    523.7 KB · Views: 0
May 2, 2022 at 7:26 AM Post #112,986 of 136,242
JBLATGT.jpg
VB.jpg
16/44 Flac > KTE Holo Spring L3 > GOTL > LCD-4

May 2, 2022 at 8:51 AM Post #112,987 of 136,242
Robin Trower's 2008 compilation album 'Day of the Eagle'
1651485779620.png

I have been lucky to have seen Robin play live, four times.
The first gig was in 1973. At that time I had never heard of him and he completely blew me away.
I bought the album Bridge of Sighs when it was released in '74 and now have most of his albums, including this compilation which has been remastered and sounds very good.
The album Bridge of Sighs remains my favourite, but he produced lots of brilliant stuff, especially with the original line up when James Dewar was singer and bass player.
'Daydream'- (originally on the '73 album Twice Removed From Yesterday) is one of many gems. This is a live version from '75:

I saw him at The Spectrum in Philadelphia in maybe 1976. Montrose opened the show, followed by Rush, and headlined by Trower; likewise he blew me away. Of course, everyone was comparing his sound to Hendrix. I think that comparison must have been a mixed blessing to Trower, because his technique is quite unique. I also saw him at a small club in Lancaster, Pennsylvania called, The Chameleon Club. I think it was in the late eighties. He threw several guitar picks to the crowd. One hit me it the head, and someone else got it off of the floor. :frowning2: I couldn't believe that Robin Trower was playing such a small club. However, he was great in that venue as well. Such an underrated guitarist. "Bridge Of Sighs" will IMHO alway be his best, but his whole discography is sprinkled with gems. "Twice Removed From Yesterday," and "For Earth Below" certainly stand on their own as awesome albums. I have to put on some Robin Trower now!

May 2, 2022 at 9:09 AM Post #112,989 of 136,242
I saw him at The Spectrum in Philadelphia in maybe 1976. Montrose opened the show, followed by Rush, and headlined by Trower; likewise he blew me away. Of course, everyone was comparing his sound to Hendrix. I think that comparison must have been a mixed blessing to Trower, because his technique is quite unique. I also saw him at a small club in Lancaster, Pennsylvania called, The Chameleon Club. I think it was in the late eighties. He threw several guitar picks to the crowd. One hit me it the head, and someone else got it off of the floor. :frowning2: I couldn't believe that Robin Trower was playing such a small club. However, he was great in that venue as well. Such an underrated guitarist. "Bridge Of Sighs" will IMHO alway be his best, but his whole discography is sprinkled with gems. "Twice Removed From Yesterday," and "For Earth Below" certainly stand on their own as awesome albums. I have to put on some Robin Trower now!
I agree with you @DLeeWebb about comparisons with Hendrix.
In a way these were flattering, but some in the UK music press were very unkind, accusing him of copying Hendrix or even worse, being just a poor imitation.
Robin has made no secret of his deep respect for Hendrix and in the intro to that live version of 'Daydream' in '75, he simply says 'This is for the man'.

When I saw him, in '73 at Wembley Arena he was the support act for Jethro Tull who were promoting their new album 'Passion Play'.

I went to see Tull and was disappointed as I ( and most of the audience) didn't like the new album.

However, it was my good fortune to discover Robin Trower that day.

He does have his own style, and creates a beautiful tone from his Strat.
There are shades of Hendrix in his playing, but that could be said of SRV too, and he wasn't given such a hard time by the press!

I saw him again in the 80s at The Marquee in London where I was in the front row, then two further gigs at small clubs, one of which was about 12 years ago.

The most recent was about 5 years ago and he was still brilliant.

It is a fairly pointless task trying to 'rank' great guitarists, but Robin is one of my all-time favourites and I feel very lucky to have seen this wonderful musician play live.

May 2, 2022 at 9:17 AM Post #112,990 of 136,242

May 2, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #112,991 of 136,242
He does have his own style, and creates a beautiful tone from his Strat.
There are shades of Hendrix in his playing, but that could be said of SRV too, and he wasn't given such a hard time by the press!
Perhaps because SRV leaned more toward country blues (is that a genre?) than did Jimi or Robin? In any case, reviewers can be brutal that's for sure. I listened to several Rolling Stones albums last week ... the initial reviews of these albums were pretty rough, but then the retrospective reviews were glorious. What?

May 2, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #112,995 of 136,242
Miles Davis - Porgy and Bess.jpg
One of three collaborations between Miles Davis and arranger Gil Evans, this
time performing their take on the music composed by George Gershwin in 1935.
Cannonball Adderley joins as alto sax maestro. Recorded in 1958 in NYC.

Weather Report - 8_30.jpg
Live Weather Report! Compilation from live shows in 1978 and 1979 at the
Civic Auditorium in Santa Monica, CA. Wayne Shorter on sax, Jaco Pastorius
on bass. HD800 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~> :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back