What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Mar 29, 2009 at 8:48 AM Post #10,803 of 136,394
"Two Against Nature" - Steely Dan

Mar 29, 2009 at 11:44 AM Post #10,804 of 136,394
Derek and the Dominos

Layla

* Think this Derek dude just may have found his niche...
Above average production value too
wink.gif

* Understated profundity, presupposed...
------------------------------------------------=>
Elvis Presley

On Stage (Live)

Released:June 1970
Recorded:International Hotel, Las Vegas, Nevada

Label RCA
Orig Year 1970
Release Date :May 18, 1999
Studio/Live :Live
Engineer :Al Pachucki

Personnel :
Elvis Presley - vocals, guitar
James Burton
Sweet Inspirations
Millie Kirkham
Jerry Scheff - bass
Glen D. Hardin - piano
Ronnie Tutt
Mary Holladay
Joe Babcock - background vocals
Sandy Posey

This 1999 reissue also contains seven bonus tracks not on the original release.

The end of Elvis Presley's film acting career in early 1969 allowed Presley to rededicate himself to recording and live performance.

Review by Dan Siciliano:

I am so excited about the new CD 'On Stage'. I just got it today and was no less than thrilled as I listened to it for the first time. I was just expecting some 'unreleased' songs thrown into the mix, but was I surprised! The entire CD has been remixed, or should I say 'unremixed', the songs sound a lot different without all the tampering that RCA did for the original release in 1970. Even the bantering in between songs has been 'changed' (for a lack of a better word). I am assuming that it has been 'restored' to the original tape and not edited and Elvis' 'comments' just inserted in between songs as were done in the original release. (Elvis even introduces Fats Domino in this new release as well as the classic 'kissing segment' slightly changed), all the mixes in the songs are quite different than the original release, and I was very pleased with what I heard. This is probably the original mixes done live and have now been graciously given to us to hear unaltered!, and this is just the songs that we have heard before, (by the way, the un-fixed version of 'The Wonder Of You' is clearly heard on this gem of a release).

It is very refreshing to hear all the new material on this now complete retrospect of Elvis' first appearances in Las Vegas, the unreleased songs, held back from release in 1970 for obvious reasons then, now bring to light the real raw power that Elvis brought to the stage those first few years in Las Vegas. The early live versions of 'Suspicious Minds' and 'Don't Cry Daddy' are classic 'Elvis live'! and the supercharged energy on 'Long Tall Sally' clearly portray the excitement and energy of what Elvis was like on stage . This is the kind of releases that all the fans are screaming for.

I find it very disturbing that there are still some 'gimmick' releases still coming from RCA. The other new CD's that came out today are not, I repeat, not in my collection in this new form, nor will the ever be. I find it insulting when these type of 'old hash' compilations' are released when there are still so many 'gems' still left to be released like the 'On Stage' CD. This CD was done so well and is truly 'collectors gold'.

Digitally remastered by Dennis Ferrante.

Recorded at The International Hotel, Las Vegas, Nevada in 1969 and 1970. Includes liner notes by Colin Escott.

Track listing:

1. See See Rider
2. Release Me
3. Sweet Caroline
4. Runaway
5. Wonder of You
6. Polk Salad Annie
7. Yesterday/Hey Jude
8. Proud Mary
9. Walk a Mile in My Shoes
10. In the Ghetto
11. Don't Cry Daddy
12. Kentucky Rain
13. I Can't Stop Loving You
14. Suspicious Minds
15. Long Tall Sally
16. Let It Be Me

* Walk A Mile In My Shoes
(Lyrics & Music by Joe South)

If I could be you, if you could be me
For just one hour, if we could find a way
To get inside each other's mind
If you could see you through my eyes
Instead your own ego I believe you'd be
I believe you'd be surprised to see
That you've been blind

Walk a mile in my shoes
just walk a mile in my shoes
Before you abuse, criticize and accuse
Then walk a mile in my shoes

Now if we spend the day
Throwin' stones at one another
'Cause I don't think, 'cause I don't think
Or wear my hair the same way you do
Well, I may be common people
But I'm your brother
And when you strike out
You're tryin' to hurt me
It's hurtin' you, Lord HAVE mercy

Walk a mile in my shoes
Then walk a mile in my shoes

Now there are people on reservations
And out in the ghetto
And brother there, but, for the grace of God
Go you and I,
If I only had wings of a little angel
Don't you know, I'd fly
To the top of a mountain
And then I'd cry, cry, cry

Walk a mile in my shoes
Then walk a mile in my shoes (3X)
---------------------------------------------------=>

Cream

Wheels Of Fire [Original recording reissued]
[Original recording remastered]

First released: Aug. 1968
Reissued: 1 Jun 1998
Number of Discs: 2
Format: Box set, Double CD, Live, Original recording reissued,
Original recording remastered
Label: PolyGram Studios Remaster[England]

Track list:
Disc: 1 [Studio]
1. White Room
2. Sitting on Top of the World
3. Passing the Time
4. As You Said
5. Pressed Rat and Warthog
6. Politician
7. Those Were the Days
8. Born Under a Bad Sign
9. Deserted Cities of the Heart

Disc: 2
1. Crossroads [Live]
2. Spoonful [Live]
3. Traintime [Live]
4. Toad [Live][Instrumental]

5 Jan 2004
Review by: nicjaytee (London)
The best...

Gifted, erratic and incredibly powerful, Cream were probably the most important band to emerge from London's mid 60's R&B scene. Faced with a peer group of brilliant guitarists including Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, Peter Green & Jimi Hendrix, a host of other world-class musicians such as Rod Stewart, John Mayall, John McVie & Steve Winwood, and a huge number of other less well known but equally gifted back-up players - all touring the same small club circuit night after night - Cream exploded into this scene in mid 1966 as a group deliberately conceived, as their name implied, to be "the best".

To understand how good they were you had to see them live during the short period in which their lofty ambition came close to fruition. They were... "the best" and, after stamping their authority in the UK, they switched to the USA to blow their home-grown competition off stage. Imploding in well documented strife by mid 1968, those who saw them during this brief period were privileged indeed. For those who didn't there's little on offer. The group's recordings are at best a shadow of what they were live, with the few real gems spread across their four albums - "Fresh Cream" (a fair encapsulation of where they were in mid 1966); "Disraeli Gears" (a studio album with a couple of real highlights and much mediocre stuffing); "Goodbye" (even more so) and, "Wheels of Fire" (probably the closest you'll get). The subsequently released live albums add little more.

But... one track says it all. "Crossroads": possibly the best interaction of three musicians at the peak of their powers ever committed to tape. Eric Clapton's breathtaking guitar solos are matched, virtually note for note, by Jack Bruce's brilliant "lead guitar" bass lines and Ginger Baker's power drumming. Live, because it had to be to capture it. As DJ John Peel said after playing this track on its first UK broadcast: "now tell me they're human". It's here, surrounded by some of their best recorded music, and it's priceless!

/ Prefer the K-701s (my go-to reference cans) for their further articulation of details/seperation, somewhat lost vs. the AH- D-2000s heavier bass bias, though switching between the two gives one the fuller experience of presentations...

~
smily_headphones1.gif
~

Mar 29, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #10,809 of 136,394
Rush: Red Barchetta

EDIT: Ha! Didn't even see MeltedChalk's post.
smily_headphones1.gif
Rush FTW!

Mar 29, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #10,812 of 136,394
interpol - slow hands

Users who are viewing this thread

Back