What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Oct 3, 2020 at 1:42 AM Post #98,341 of 136,292
My favorite Canadian rock band. Yeah, Rush and Tragically Hip are close behind...but these guys are my favorite.

Oct 3, 2020 at 2:20 AM Post #98,342 of 136,292
20201003_141026.jpg

Oct 3, 2020 at 7:08 AM Post #98,345 of 136,292
Oct 3, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #98,349 of 136,292
Back Street Crawler's 1976 album '2nd Street'
1601682563057.png

This album was released after Paul Kossoff's death.
He was in such a bad way with his drug addiction that he didn't even turn up for a lot of the recording sessions.
Somehow though, despite this, he managed to dredge up a few heart rending solos which are classic Koss and as moving as some of his best stuff with Free.

The solo at the end of 'Leaves in the Wind' is a real favourite of mine. Koss was a truly special guitarist.
Lovely song written by keyboard player John 'Rabbit' Bundrick. Great vocals by Terry Slesser .

A tragic waste of life at just 25 years old.

I think the break up of Free really did him in
I have Back Steet Crawler from 1973..I may have to grab this one also

Now on to my listening session.....probably my all-time greatest band.
I have seen Tom & The Heartbreakers more than any other band....great times going to see these guys as they produced every single time.
63575.jpg
71FuWwL8mTL._SL1425_.jpg
TPATHCover.jpg
16/44 Flac > KTE Holo Spring L3 > GOTL > ZMF VC

Oct 3, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #98,351 of 136,292
I think the break up of Free really did him in
I have Back Steet Crawler from 1973..I may have to grab this one also

Now on to my listening session.....probably my all-time greatest band.
I have seen Tom & The Heartbreakers more than any other band....great times going to see these guys as they produced every single time.
63575.jpg
71FuWwL8mTL._SL1425_.jpg
TPATHCover.jpg
16/44 Flac > KTE Holo Spring L3 > GOTL > ZMF VC
@whirlwind Sadly, you are right about Koss. The break up of Free finished him.
He had been in decline before that though, and didn't even contribute fully to the last Free album 'Heartbreaker'.
The band tried to save him from drugs, and on one occasion Andy Fraser even 'kidnapped' Koss and took him to his house well away from the London flat where Koss lived
London drug dealers were ruthless and constantly turned up at Koss's place with more drugs.
I have all of Kossoff's solo albums- the one entitled 'Back Street Crawler' which has some gems on it, including Molten Gold, Tuesday Morning and the epic Time Away. I also have the two BSC albums 'The Band Plays On' and '2nd Street'.
I think 2nd Street is under rated.
I spoke to Terry Slesser (lead singer in BSC) after a gig 2 years ago and he thought that Koss produced some of his best playing on that album despite being in such a bad way.
It's a bit like the solo on Free's 'Come Together in the Morning'. Koss was in a terrible state but somehow produced a solo which even Rodgers found deeply moving as it was just so raw.
I saw Sless with BSC and Koss in '75!. He was a bit slimmer then.
It was great to hear all the anecdotes from Sless about Koss but also very sad.
Tom Petty. Wow! :beyersmile:
I thought he was the coolest man on the planet!
I saw him live once at RAH and it was one of the greatest gigs I've ever attended.
A brilliant artist. who really loved playing in the UK as I think he broke through here before the States.
I'll have to listen to some TP this evening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back