Aug 25, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #97,396 of 136,146
1598361470729.jpeg

Johnny Jewel

Aug 25, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #97,397 of 136,146
went on a binge

Aug 25, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #97,398 of 136,146
Robin Trower’s 1974 album Bridge of Sighs
1598372040424.jpeg

I have seen Robin live several times, but the first time will live long in the memory, as I had never heard of him back in ‘74!
He was supporting Jethro Tull.
Bought the album Bridge of Sighs straight away!
Title track is still one of my favourites.
He was, and still is, an absolute master of the Fender Strat!
Nice live version from BBC archives:

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #97,401 of 136,146

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #97,404 of 136,146
Robin Trower’s 1974 album Bridge of Sighs

I have seen Robin live several times, but the first time will live long in the memory, as I had never heard of him back in ‘74!
He was supporting Jethro Tull.
Bought the album Bridge of Sighs straight away!
Title track is still one of my favourites.
He was, and still is, an absolute master of the Fender Strat!
Nice live version from BBC archives:

I saw Robin Trower in Philadelphia as the headliner when "Bridge Of Sighs" was his new album. It was a great show. Many considered him to be a Hendrix wannabe, I didn't give a s**t, he made that guitar cry and wail! I'm not positive, I could be getting my concerts mixed-up, but I think that was the concert where Golden Earring was the opening act, followed by Rush, followed by Trower. I saw him again maybe fifteen years ago at a small local venue in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. I have always loved "Bridge Of Sighs," and listen to the title song fairly frequently (he has several other albums, like "For Earth Below," that are almost as good...).

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #97,406 of 136,146
I saw Robin Trower in Philadelphia as the headliner when "Bridge Of Sighs" was his new album. It was a great show. Many considered him to be a Hendrix wannabe, I didn't give a s**t, he made that guitar cry and wail! I'm not positive, I could be getting my concerts mixed-up, but I think that was the concert where Golden Earring was the opening act, followed by Rush, followed by Trower. I saw him again maybe fifteen years ago at a small local venue in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. I have always loved "Bridge Of Sighs," and listen to the title song fairly frequently (he has several other albums, like "For Earth Below," that are almost as good...).
Hi @DLeeWebb
Thanks for the comments.
I entirely agree!
Robin was saddled with lazy and inaccurate criticism from some of the music press here In the UK about being a ‘Hendrix imitator’ and similar b******s!
He is far more than that, and I speak as someone who loved Hendrix’s playing.
I have seen Robin four times.
First gig was 1974 in London, then sometime in the 80s at The Marquee, then 12 years ago at a small venue in Southampton and then most recently, about 3 years ago at another small venue near my home.
He was brilliant at each gig and his guitar playing is as good as ever.
What we all miss now are the brilliant vocals of James Dewar.
He was very special.
I have seven Trower albums.
For Earth Below is very good.
Along with Bridge of Sighs, possibly my next favourite track is ‘Daydream’ from the first album ‘Twice Removed From Yesterday’.
Absolutely sublime guitar playing and brilliant singing by Jimmy Dewar on that track.
I have never seen much point in debating which guitarists are ‘best’.
All I know is that Robin Trower is one of my very favourite guitar players and I think he is one of just a handful whose playing is synonymous with the Fender Strat.
He is a genuine maestro.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2020 at 4:55 AM Post #97,410 of 136,146
live-at-the-bbc-51ac8359b2e4c.jpg
16/44 Flac > KTE Holo Spring L3 > GS-X mk2 > LCD-4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back