What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Feb 14, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #66,184 of 136,256

Feb 14, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #66,185 of 136,256

Feb 14, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #66,187 of 136,256

Feb 15, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #66,193 of 136,256
DSD, single rate, with a hot cup of morning coffee on a frigid RI Winter morning. Ah. I really do hope DSD and DXD catch on. There is something very audibly different going on here and it is spectacular.

How do you play back the DSD? Is it a file you download or does it come on a cd like SACD's do? Where do you find music in that format. I have a few cd's that say DSD on them but they are still just regular cd's so far as I can tell. I don't use any special equipment to listen to them.

Feb 15, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #66,194 of 136,256
How do you play back the DSD? Is it a file you download or does it come on a cd like SACD's do? Where do you find music in that format. I have a few cd's that say DSD on them but they are still just regular cd's so far as I can tell. I don't use any special equipment to listen to them.
Yes, they are files you purchase and then download. I use a Windows 10 based laptop using JRiver playback software. Acoustic Sounds and HD Tracks are the 2 sites I use for downloads, however there are several other, smaller ones out there. Unfortunately, they are not cheap and are quite large in file size, but the sound is oh so fluid. I was a bit skeptical of these formats at first. I once owned an SACD player from Marantz reference and did think the sound was decent enough. I was preparred to live happily with 24/192 pcm the rest of my life and obviously still am as I do not believe there will truly be an huge demand for these niche formats. However, through a good headphone set up, DSD AND DXD can truly be appreciated. The micro-dynamics are other-wordly. IMHO, not so much in a 2 channel stereo rig. The price of the DACS that can now decode these formats is coming down dramatically too. Hopefully they do not suffer the same fate as SACD and DVD audio. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back