What Are You Listening To Right Now?
May 6, 2015 at 6:06 AM Post #60,392 of 136,612

Flac > PS Audio Nuwave > HD 800 > MD Ear+HD

May 6, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #60,395 of 136,612
Cross posted from the jazz thread, but deserves a wider audience...

The first track draws you right in with Kamasi blowing the heck out his tenor sax until it shrieks against a lush background including choir vocals and strings. Engaging stuff, although it's a shame the instrument separation isn't as good as it could be due to the compressed mastering - not something we should have to tolerate, especially with jazz recordings.

Kamasi Washington - The Epic

May 6, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #60,399 of 136,612

Black Swan - Tone Poetry
https://blackswan.bandcamp.com/album/tone-poetry-2014

Incredibly beautiful album.

Vicky Chow - Tristan Perich: Surface Image
https://vickychow.bandcamp.com/album/tristan-perich-surface-image

I've been listening to this for the past few days. An amazing album where piano meets 1-bit electronics.

OMG Gidon Kremer is releasing a recording of Philip Glass's 2nd violin concerto. He might very well be my favorite male violinist, at least when he is playing modern repertoire where he excels, and his recording of the first Glass violin concerto is among my most played discs in my collection. This is the best news I've heard in a long time!

May 6, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #60,401 of 136,612
Toad the Wet Sprocket - Fear

Glad I found this the other day. Still awesome.

The White Stripes - Get Behind Me Satan
Just heard this the first time.

May 6, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #60,403 of 136,612

CD circa 1994

Just compared this to the newer CD version that I ripped. WOW, this one doesn't suffer from the "loudness wars" and has great balance. It is easier to crank up and get a vast soundstage.. not shouty and crappy like the other one I have. Barry Diament is the guy who mastered this so you can look him up.. he has good credentials 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back