What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Nov 14, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #56,302 of 136,092

Just saw the film for the first time. It was everything I had hoped it would be and more. A prime example of what filmmaking should be. Philip Glass's music combined with the sometimes quite breathtaking footage in an amazing and most captivating experience in the truest sense of the word.

Bad Dudes - Metroid Arrange: 25th Anniversary Album

The Black Mages - The Black Mages III: Darkness and Starlight

Brian Eno - Discreet Music

Brian Eno with Daniel Lanois & Roger Eno - Apollo: Atmospheres & Soundtracks

BT - 今

Nobuo Uematsu - Distant Worlds: Music from Final Fantasy
http://store.ffdistantworlds.com/album/distant-worlds-music-from-final-fantasy

Mine is the CD version, but a purchase on Bandcamp grants you 24-bit 88.2 kHz files.

Similar orchestral CDs titled "More Friends: Music from Final Fantasy" and "20020220" are MUCH, much better, however.

Fumio Karashima Trio - Gathering [XRCD]

Great jazz.

Nov 14, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #56,305 of 136,092

Just saw the film for the first time. It was everything I had hoped it would be and more. A prime example of what filmmaking should be. Philip Glass's music combined with the sometimes quite breathtaking footage in an amazing and most captivating experience in the truest sense of the word.

The more or less recently released Criterion edition, I trust?
I also re-watched it not long ago, though for the first time with 'correct' aspect ratio and that level of image quality. It's just one of those movies, near perfection.

Nov 14, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #56,308 of 136,092

The more or less recently released Criterion edition, I trust?
I also re-watched it not long ago, though for the first time with 'correct' aspect ratio and that level of image quality. It's just one of those movies, near perfection.

The recent European 2014 Blu-ray release: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IJD75H6

Haven't watched Powaqqatsi yet. I noticed that the trilogy box set was available in the US, but even though I have a region-free BD player (well it allows you to switch region codes) I decided to go with the UK release since it had nicer box art and because Amazon USA's shipping times to Finland suck (big time) compared to for example Amazon Japan's or Amazon UK's. I read on Wikipedia after seeing the movie about the home releases being in different aspect ratios from the original theatrical release in the past. Not sure which one mine is but I don't care enough to care. It was stunning all the same. I'll be getting Naqoyqatsi separately later on.

Nov 14, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #56,309 of 136,092

The recent European 2014 Blu-ray release: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IJD75H6

Haven't watched Powaqqatsi yet. I noticed that the trilogy box set was available in the US, but even though I have a region-free BD player (well it allows you to switch region codes) I decided to go with the UK release since it had nicer box art and because Amazon USA's shipping times to Finland suck (big time) compared to for example Amazon Japan's or Amazon UK's. I read on Wikipedia after seeing the movie about the home releases being in different aspect ratios from the original theatrical release in the past. Not sure which one mine is but I don't care enough to care. It was stunning all the same. I'll be getting Naqoyqatsi separately later on.

The film was originally shot in 1.33:1, with broadcasting in mind, but a cropped 1.85:1 version was always shown at theatres.
Home releases have been both, with both having a claim of being 'correct', as the director and photographer is said to always have envisioned it in 1.85:1.
Personally I think the wider aspect ratio fits the visuals better, and most current home video distributors seem to agree, but the first I saw the film it was an early DVD release, and it was 1.33:1.

Nov 14, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #56,310 of 136,092

The film was originally shot in 1.33:1, with broadcasting in mind, but a cropped 1.85:1 version was always shown at theatres.
Home releases have been both, with both having a claim of being 'correct', as the director and photographer is said to always have envisioned it in 1.85:1.
Personally I think the wider aspect ratio fits the visuals better, and most current home video distributors seem to agree, but the first I saw the film it was an early DVD release, and it was 1.33:1.

The version I saw was definitely widescreen. I was thinking the difference might've been between 16:9 and that cropped to 1.375:1 for theaters (or vice versa). Without having seen the 4:3 version, I would still say the film felt like it was definitely best suited for widescreen format.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back