What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Oct 9, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #55,501 of 136,041

BIGHEAD - Sharing the World

Sonny Rollins Quintet - Rollins Plays for Bird

As much as I love jazz, I've never been able to get into Sonny Rollins. Of his records, Saxophone Colossus is the only one I have learned to appreciate thus far and I will admit it is essential listening. I guess I just don't like his style. This record opens with a 27-minute medley – which I'm not a fan of – making the album kind of a tough one to swallow for me. My only interest lies pretty much in the presence of Kenny Dorham. The playing however is overall a bit too safe for me.

Sōmei Satoh - Litania – Margaret Leng Tan Plays Sōmei Satoh

Sōmei Satoh - Kisetsu – Works by Sōmei Satoh III

Rudresh Mahanthappa - Samdhi

This album rocks so hard you don't even know.

Rebecca Brandt - Numbers & Shapes
https://rebeccabrandt.bandcamp.com/album/numbers-shapes

Amazing album, free download.

Rafał Blechacz - Debussy / Szymanowski: Piano Works

Very agile playing. I'm seldom satisfied by Deutsche Grammophon, but this disc might prove out to be one of those exceptions. I'm not sure about the sound, though. The sound is clear but at the same time it feels kind of thin.

Edit: I must say that the Debussy half of the disc does get rather tiresome very quickly due to the near-constant, restless virtuosic embellishment. It's quite pretty virtuosic embellishment, however, which is quite rare, and nowhere as bad and superficial as a lot of the stuff from the classical period. L'Isle joyeuse is so all over the place, though, it feels like a bad joke, or a prog rock composition from the '70s, take your pick.

The Szymanowski half sounds like it might have more potential with a more thorough inspection and familiarization, but on first listen it comes across as rather bland and alternatively sometimes too much like the Debussy material. C minor sonata's finale is about as bad as the first half's conclusion.

I guess I spoke too soon... However, I shall keep coming back to this disc for Pour le piano.

pulot - napitas
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/napitas/id830218083

I'm liking it!

Opeth - Pale Communion

Second listen. My impressions so far are the same as the first time around: I'm left with a somewhat lukewarm feeling and I don't think the album compares very favorably to Heritage.

Oct 9, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #55,502 of 136,041

Oct 9, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #55,504 of 136,041
Yoko Kanno - Macross Plus Original Soundtrack

KB - Weight & Glory

Dead Can Dance - Anastasis

Alannah Myles - Alannah Myles

Amon Tobin - Isam

Zoë Keating - One Cello x 16 Natoma

Ray Lynch - Deep Breakfast

Philip Glass - Koyaanisqatsi

Black Sun Empire - From The Shadows

Oct 9, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #55,506 of 136,041

Oct 9, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #55,507 of 136,041
Oct 9, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #55,508 of 136,041
     SHE very nice song originally done by french singer Charles Aznavour         http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpU1AgVtgVM                                                                                                                                                                                                  

Oct 10, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #55,509 of 136,041
MI0002433350.jpg

61%2Bm33fR5kL.jpg

Oct 10, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #55,510 of 136,041

My colleague in the office next to mine fired up a Celine Dion album on his PC speakers; I had to close the door, don my headphones and put on this to... ahem, exorcise?

Oct 10, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #55,514 of 136,041

Users who are viewing this thread

Back