What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Feb 26, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #50,419 of 136,101
  Mel Lewis Jazz Orchestra

you got some great jazz posts lately. Have you heard these? The video is very good also. 

Feb 26, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #50,420 of 136,101
They are now on my list, thanks to you 
biggrin.gif

I can get some of her stuff from my local library - rip it and return it.  This is a great source.

http://catalog.cincinnatilibrary.org/iii/encore/search/C__S%28Christian%20McBride%29%20f%3Aj__Orightresult__U1?lang=eng&suite=cobalt

Feb 26, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #50,421 of 136,101
  They are now on my list, thanks to you 
biggrin.gif

I can get some of her stuff from my local library - rip it and return it.  This is a great source.

http://catalog.cincinnatilibrary.org/iii/encore/search/C__S%28Christian%20McBride%29%20f%3Aj__Orightresult__U1?lang=eng&suite=cobalt

cool, wish i had a source like that here in Ireland. 

As for those 2 albums - "getting to it" is the one that i prefer. The playing on the album is amazing. Enjoy. 

Feb 26, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #50,425 of 136,101
Hrmmm preproman I've always thought about doing this...you have anything capabale of ripping their SACDs? My PS3 is one model to late. My wife works at the Main branch, I should have her pick some music up. Have any jazz recordings that you'd recommend that you've picked up there before?

Feb 26, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #50,427 of 136,101
So, I've been on a spending spree purchasing "the best jazz albums of all time" after researching the genre....I come from a rock and metal tradition. And, I feel jazz is a natural fit. Both styles are rooted in the blues and reward technical skill and virtuosity.....currently their is a fair amount of experimental metal with jazz overtones often in extreme metal...

Just bought two new Miles Davis CD's that are really terrific:

Gorgeous! For the initiated-it almost moves beyond jazz...gives me an almost ambient and very mellow...dare I say an almost spacey Pink Floyd vibe. I've heard Bitches Brew, but still I wasn't prepared for the subdued sound-minimalistic. Considered a classic in his electric style and the first to feature guitar virtuoso john McLaughlin who played on Bitches Brew and later formed mahavishnu orchestra.

I wish I had purchased the pricier box set which has something like four discs of additional material-not merely alternate takes and has a lot of rave reviews. I'm thinking of picking it up later. This release is just two very long tracks.

Coming from the "Kind of Blue" background-this is a slam dunk IMO-but different in a variety of ways....an excellent release.

I've recently purchased some of his fusion (E.g., Headhunters)...I expected more of a Piano oriented album-this is very similar to that "Kind of Blue" vibe-and after all, Herbie released this after leaving Miles Davis-I had read this was a classic 60's hard bop kind of album with many of the players from the Miles Davis Quintet....it's a great jazz album.

For people like me whose primary experience with Miles is Kind of Blue...these albums, along with Milestones (and I'm sure others that I haven't heard) are  no brainers...beautiful more traditional sounding so called "modal" jazz. I love this style. I'd also throw in :

-Cannonball Adderley-Somethin' Else! Seriously, if you're a fan of kind of Blue-Somethin Else is oft listed as one of the greatest jazz albums of all time and has basically the same line up (w/ Davis playing) sans Coltrane. And, of course, Cannonball played on KOB. Sort of Kind of Blue #2...I love Adderly's sound.

-John Coltrane-Blue Train (I'd throw this in the same overall style)

This is a single digit compilation of some of their work together...very classy stuff

On paper-this looks boring as hell-one of the classic crooners with Coltrane...but, it's a great, easy on the ears listen....very nice.

I found this for a couple of $ at my local record store. I had read this was one of the great big band swing albums in the same vein as Duke Ellington at Newport (another famous album).....I love this! This is great swing.

Mingus-The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady...this is pure genius. Honestly reminds me of some of the chaotic experiemental, avant garde and prog rock and metal I listen to

Dizzy Gillespie and Charlie Parker...what more has to be said!

I'm discovering that I really enjoy piano jazz..Bill Evans, Brad Mehdlau, Dave Brubek, etc.

So, I've added this classic-first time listener-I can totally see why this album is listed as one of the great piano jazz albums...it's really, really great.

Feb 26, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #50,428 of 136,101
Hrmmm @preproman I've always thought about doing this...you have anything capabale of ripping their SACDs? My PS3 is one model to late. My wife works at the Main branch, I should have her pick some music up. Have any jazz recordings that you'd recommend that you've picked up there before?

Mannnnnnnnn  you need to get your butt down there.  I just got back from there on my lunch break.  my entire collection is courtesy of the Main Library.  The have just about what ever you can think of..

Just picked up Christain McBride:  Kind of Brown and The Good Feeling:  I love Jazz Orchestras and Jazz Big Ban.

Only have 1 SACD (Jazz at the pawn shop)  That's it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back