What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Dec 1, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #47,926 of 136,178

A strange combination, yet surprisingly beautiful.
gs1000.gif

Dec 1, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #47,927 of 136,178
  I'll be dropping in to their Greenfield store this week.

Mine is the Green Bay location. I always stop by if I happen to be traveling in town. It's always hard to believe how these random small cities and towns in Wisconsin can have such a great record store chain to service them.

Here's the first selection from that trip: Sub Verses by Akron/Family

Dec 1, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #47,928 of 136,178
Man, I've been incredibly busy for the past week or so. Finally had an opportunity to take some time off and listen to these two.

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced [U.S. version]

200g mono LP with all analog mastering by Bernie Grundman.

This album never really was an audiophile record to begin with, but the mono mix is an interesting alternative to the stereo mix most are familiar with. I've never understood why vinyl often gets labeled as sounding "warm", that not matching my own experiences, but Bernie Grundman's choice of using vintage tube electronic for mastering the LP sure seems to have added some warmth I don't remember being in the CD versions I've heard of this legendary debut album by The Jimi Hendrix Experience. Some will like it, others not necessarily as much.

Patricia Barber - café blue

180g double vinyl mastered by Bob Ludwig, cut by Doug Sax and pressed at RTI. This version features a brand new mix made in 2011 by the original engineer Jim Anderson at Capitol Studios on a Neve 8068 console and utilizing Capitol's own echo chamber instead of a stairway like in the original mix.

I thought the recent HDCD reissue I have sounded good, but it has nothing on this LP! The sonics are absolutely breathtaking (as if the music alone wasn't breathtaking enough). This is one of those discs that simply has to be heard to be believed! Flawless pressing, meticulous sound, this audiophile classic's new LP reissue by Premonition Records should be a must-have for any fan of vocal jazz who owns a turntable. Certainly not cheap, but these discs are easily more than worth their price to any true music lover.

Turtle - Who Knows
https://beatnikcreative.bandcamp.com/album/turtle-who-knows-ep

Now listening to Turtle, aka Jon Cooper's debut EP Who Knows. This is a truly beautiful record. I highly recommend it to fans of artists like Bon Iver and Fleet Foxes for example. You can stream it for free in its entirety on Bandcamp. You won't need to listen to more than the first minute of the title track to know if it's for you.

Dec 1, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #47,930 of 136,178
410r4X-xVCL.jpg

51wWtIMN8UL.jpg
41qwGP7qDsL.jpg

Aerosmith Draw the Line

515ziY3e1SL.jpg

King Crimson
51mvXVc%2BbqL.jpg

61eAaC6lJvL._SY300_.jpg

51potANmd8L.jpg

51tDVslJVGL.jpg

Lots of great music this long holiday weekend

Dec 2, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #47,934 of 136,178
my favorite jazz album. all 7 discs are amazing. I never get tired of listening to it. 

Dec 2, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #47,935 of 136,178
61Y2-XTVc3L.jpg

Dec 2, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #47,940 of 136,178
Please note, this is the 15-song version, not the 9-song version...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back